I just got a Privacy Policy update from a bank I don't use

This is drenched with irony. In the mail today I received one of those brochures from a well-known bank that says, “Hey, here are our new privacy policies for your account”. But I don’t have an account there, and I never have. But the thing is, it didn’t just say “Dear Customer” or something… I mean, they had my name actually on the letter, not just on the envelope. And they had my full address, SSN, etc. on there as well.

So I called the toll-free number and the lady explained that if a lender that I even once applied to (not necessarily borrowed from) has any ties whatsoever to Bank X, they are required by law to send this to me. So she took my request to be removed from the database, no big deal…

I just thought it was strange to receive a letter assuring me that my information was safe with someone who probably shouldn’t have had it in the first place.

This has a strong whiff that somebody’s attempting identity fraud. Contact the bank’s fraud department directly. And also send a copy to your local police, just so it’s on file.