I just lied to a cop, twice!

Driving down the street, I find I can’t turn at the intercection I wanted to, so I go down to the next and make an illegal U turn. I had the turn-only light, so it was safe, but just as I turn, I see the traffic cops standing there, waiting for violators.

They motion for me to pull over, so I do, and as I pull up, they see I’m a foreigner. :eek: Cop #1 looks over and shakes his head at the other. You can see their thoughts: “Oh shit, who wants to go through this hassle of giving a ticket to someone who can’t understand Japanese.”

Cop #2 asks if I speak Japanese (in Japanese):

Lie #1 I look quizically at them and hold my thumb and forefinger about an inch apart to indicate my level. “A little.”

Cop #1 asks if I can read Japanese

Lie #2 “No.”

I was told to be careful and send on my merry way, sans ticket. :smiley:

And Happy Holidays to all!

That’s when you wave at them at the end and say, “Arigatou gozaimasu!” as you drive off. :smiley:

Hey, if they didn’t want to go to the hassle of ticketing you then that’s their problem and you’re off scot-free!

I think you were lucky to have this encounter, and I believe that most cops will give you the benefit of the doubt if you’re a foreigner.

Happened to me in Germany recently (although I am German-American, I still have a bit of a problem with road signs), and the officer was kind enough to give me a warning after he explained my blunder to me. I think he was glad that I could at least understand my mistake.

Happy Holidays, indeed! :smiley:

Q

After you drive off

cop 2: shit, iasked if he spoke japanese and he responds with his penis size

cop 1: but he had an honest face, so if figure he doesn’t need a ticket on top of that

My associate Eddie complained of being ticketed in Mexico.
“They had these things shaped like a stop sign, but they said, ‘ALTO’.”

I told him “Su Madre” means, “Good day, Officer”.

TokyoPlayer,

You’re lucky. When I got pulled over just outside of Atsugi City in Kanagawa Prefecture, the cop asked me if I could speak Japanese and when I said just a little, he flipped his ticket book open to the back and started reading the prepared lines in English: “Do you have a passport or military ID?” and so on. One of the lines was “Would you like the duty translator from Yokosuka to come here?” I told him in Japanese that wouldn’t be necessary. I got off light, though. 5000 yen for the traffic violation and 1000 yen for not having a copy of my PCS orders in the car with me.

When I told him that I didn’t see why I should get a ticket at all since the only reason I drove over the solid white line was to avoid an accident with a speeding moron in a muscle car, the cop talking to me originally didn’t want to ticket me. The senior officer on the scene (bad luck to have this incident at a speed trap) decided that nobody gets away without a ticket. The ticketing cop did tell me what the muscle-car driver’s ticket for his stunt was and I got a lot happier.

Too funny, China Guy! Is this from personal experience?

I’m three for four using that line. The once it didn’t work was when a motorcycle cops pulled me over, and then, in broken English and gestures, not only told me what I did wrong, but also how long it would take until the points were erased.

Monty you made the unfortunately mistake of getting pulled over too close to a base. They don’t freak out just by hearing English like the rest of the cops.

No kidding. I had a very positive experience when I visited Yoroshikuru (or however the town with Tokyo Disneyland is spelled). I was looking for a place to park my car so my friends and I could go shop at D Mart. I asked a passing cop if he knew of any parking garages nearby. He looked at my Y plates and said, “You have diplomat plates. Just park on the sidewalk.” If figured I shouldn’t argue with the local law dude. Pulling that stunt in Atsugi, or especially Ayasi where I was stationed, would’ve gotten my car towed mighty fast.

Speaking of that, I’ll see if I can find an online video of an illegally parked car in Japan getting towed. It’s pretty amazing.

Unless, of course, it’s your car.

Or if it’s your only ride back to Tokyo from the middle of nowhere ensuring that you will definitely miss a very important meeting that you assured your boss you wouldn’t when he was concerned that it was a bad idea to be taking that little side trip with the other client’s project at such a crucial stage.

You know, if that every happens to anyone. Ever.

Imagine this says “ever.” It’s better that way.

Yes. I’ve watched them tow cars. They are fast! It’s gone in moments.

And yes, it’s not nearly as fun when it is your car, as happened when I trusted my dealer who said that the cops never check the street in front of his place. We were giving a demo, and I looked out the forth floor window at the end of the demo to see . . . . nothing. Which wasn’t good, since my car was supposed to be there. the police nicely write the phone number of the station in chalk, so you know you car was towed and not stolen.

Funny how irrational you can get at times. I raced down the stairs even though the car was long gone.

The total cost was over $200 for the tow and ticket. Fortunately, the company picked it up.

I once had to drive from Chicago to Boston (1000 miles, 16 hours) in one stretch. I got pulled over four times! (sticking to speed limits over such a distance is a sure way to fall asleep) Luckily, I had with me my national documents which I presented every time, instead of my american driver license. I was let off with a warning all four times. One of them took the trouble of explaining how it was not worth his time giving me a ticket if he knew I wouldn’t show up for the citation.