I just saw STAR WARS -- it's really fun! (spoilers OK)

I can’t believe I waited in line (which stretched from The Orpheum halfway down State Street!) for a movie I knew nothing about, other than that TIME called it “a cowboy movie in space”. Now the other Sci-Fi movies I’ve seen were 2001 and Silent Running, and frankly, they were boring. And most “special” effects are obviously models on wires.

So I wasn’t expecting much … but …

It was GREAT! It had all the adventure cliches: the kid who feels like he doesn’t belong (because his destiny lies elsewhere), the wise-cracking rogue (with a heart of gold), the damsel in distress (who can handle a gun), the wise old hermit (who’s really a powerful mentor) and a bigger-than-life bad guy. And I mean that literally – he picks up a guy and chokes him! What a way to introduce a character.

And the dialogue is so cheesy it’s fun. “Traveling through hyperspace isn’t like dusting crops, boy.”, “Aren’t you a little short for a storm trooper?”, “I have a very bad feeling about this.”, and I loved “I find your lack of faith disturbing.” I say this to some of my friends as I pantomime choking them, and the people who’ve seen the movie laugh and say “Wasn’t that a cool movie?”.

Now, I’ll probably end up over-thinking and arguing about this movie in years to come, but for now I just want to revel in the sheer joy of a “cowboy movie in space”.

So, have you seen it? What’d you think of it?

Okay, who gave YOU the keys to the DeLorean?

I’m wondering why you posted this in the Pit?

That said, it’s one of my favorite movies of all time. I saw it on the big screen when it first came out in May, 1977.

Oops – this posted here and in Cafe Society. Can a mod mod delete it? Or should we see how Luke ‘n’ Han (‘n’ I) get pitted?

Fuck you Harrison Ford!!! Christopher Walken would have kept a lightsaber up his ass for years and said kool shit like “I never did the kesel run on anyone that didn’t deserve it”

:smiley:

>>I’m wondering why you posted this in the Pit?

Mistake. Sorry.

>>That said, it’s one of my favorite movies of all time. I saw it on the big screen when it first came out in May, 1977.

Yeah, that’s what I’m talking about! Wasn’t it COOL?!?

ps: Chris Walken woulda been great. Didn’t Han say something about the Kessel Run? Didn’t sound right, but who cares? It’s not like someone’s gonna remember one line from a movie.

This is a total whoosh. But I’ll still go see the Cafe thread. Can’t resist…

As opposed to…?

:smiley:

i’m thinking “Help! I’m a fetus trapped in my mom’s uterus!”

I’m going to leave this open here, because it’ll be interesting to see Pit responses vs Cafe Society responses… but please, don’t go around double-posting in future, OK?

Star Wars? Never heard of it. Isn’t that the one with Kirk and Spock?

You really ought to check out the holiday special, it’s hella fun.

Guys, I just got done playing this great game called PackMan or PacerMan, or something like that. You’re like this little yellow sphere with a mouth, and you have to run around this maze and try and eat up these power pills all while being chased by multi-colored ghosts. And when you eat this big blinking power thingies, the ghosts go all photo-negative, and you can eat them, and then there’s these fruits that go around the maze too. It’s so effin cool.

You must have played it in the arcade, because it hasn’t come out for that new ColecoVision thing I saw on TV.

And, OH MY GOD! I just heard this new album that ROCKS! It’s by a buncha nobodys who can’t really play their instuments but it’s really cool music. I’m the first on my block to love them. The album is Never Mind the Bollocks. I can’t remember the band name, but the guy who plays bass is destined for great things. Woo Hoo!!

And then I flipped on my T.V. and there was this really deep TV miniseries that had me in tears. It was so good. It’s about this guy who was a slave and his life and freedom and family. It was really cool and touching. The best part about it is that it is based on a really original book by Alex Haley. He’s quite a writer and would never steal stuff. Anyway, kudos for ABC, it was a great TV show.

Dude! They’re so cool! I just bought that album today.

Seriously.

So don’t feel bad, digs, you’re not the only one a lil’ slow in the pop-culture department. :wink:

Wouldn’t it be cool if someone would build a machine that let you play movies on TV right in your house. The you could like buy a copy of a cool movie like Star Wars and watch it whenever you wanted.

Is anyone else reading this as a Matrix parody thread? Or am I crazy-go-nuts?

I just got back from seeing it at the drive-in. There was this pickup truck with a camper shell parked in front of me. There were over a dozen kids in there with blankets on a warm evening. I know there was hankie pankie goin on. Plus I couldn’t see it from the luxury of the MustangII. We had the crappiest speakers.

What the hell was up with killing off one of the major charactors. Luke will have to learn about the force himself.

I just know Luke and Princess Leia are gonna get together cause he is so cute.