I need a collection of songs with a money theme.

“Movin’ Out (Anthony’s Song)”, by Billy Joel, is about working-class people working too hard to afford the trappings of luxury.

Louis Armstrong’s rendition of Pennies From Heaven

“How Do You Spell Love?” by the Fabulous Thunderbirds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOYpGzrzK1o

AC/DC - “What Do You Do for Money Honey”

XTC: “Earn Enough For Us”
Pearl Jam: “Green Disease”

Ray Charles: “Greenbacks”
AC/DC: “Money Talks”
Concrete Blonde: “It’s Only Money”

“I Wanna Be Rich” by Calloway

*I want money lots and lots of money
I want the pie in the sky
I want money lots and lots of money
So don’t be asking me why

I wanna be rich oh
I wanna be rich*

I don’t think one of your choices, Money for Nothing, is about money in the same way your other picks are, really. It’s about a guy who can’t understand how the celebs on MTV can derive such success from doing things that are so (apparently) easy and frivolous compared to the work he does. The key line of the chorus is “money for nothing and your chicks for free” and it’s really only because the first three words happen to be the title that it could be seen as primarily about money. It’s really about bemusement at what leads to success.

Add a little Ultra Lounge with With Plenty Of Money And You, by Tony Bennett and the Count Basie Orchestra.

Mercedes Benz - Janis Joplin. It doesn’t really mention cash, but it mentions buying stuff.

The Money Shuffle by Richard Thompson from his latest album is about the recent financial crisis.

Money by Jesca Hoop is about money and the music biz.

It’s About the Money by Robbie Fulks is about money generally.

Common People by Pulp is about class and money.

This Fucking Job and Get Downtown, both by the The Drive-By Truckers from their latest are about jobs and money.

The Happy Prole by Quasi is about class, jobs and money.

EDIT: grammar

A shorty but a goody: Monty Python’s Money Song (sung part starts around 1:45). Of course the Euro has largely superannuated the lyrics.

Looking at my MP3s, I found two more by Richard Thompson: Cash Down Never Never and A Bank Vault in Heaven. There’s a song about money in Avenue Q. See a Penny (Pick It Up) by YACHT might qualify.

“Everything Counts” by Depeche Mode. It’s been awhile, so I may be misremembering the lyrics.

“Mercedes Benz” by Janis Joplin, although it’s more about the trappings of the affluent.

Money - Michael Jackson, HIStory

Two songs from the Disney film Mary Poppins

Feed the Birds (tuppance a bag)

And

Fidelity Fiduciary Bank

Or how about Pennies from Heaven
Oh and does the lyric If I was richer, I’d still be with ya count.

Weird Al Yankovic’s “This is the Life” talks at great length about all of the fantastic things he can do because he’s so rich, like eating Filet Mignon seven times a day and bathing in Perrier.

“Pocket Money” by the Kursaal Flyers is all about the joys of having a little spending cash.

And for a touching love song, you can’t beat Spinal Tap’s “Cash On Delivery”.

Well I love you, baby, but why take a chance?
I don’t want to be a victim of circumstance,
So don’t be looking for no big advance, it’s
Cash On Delivery

The definitive (and original) version of “Money Honey” is by Clyde McPhatter and the Drifters.

I want your love - Transvision Vamp.

Every Little Piece from Pete’s Dragon. Song is equal parts “chattering about money” and “dragon dissection.”