I need a good and relatively simple Chicken Cacciatore recipe

I used to make a chicken cacciatore using a special sauce that had been handed down in my family for years. Unfortunately my family’s secret sauceis no longer sold in the stores here and I’ve been specifically asked to make Cacciatore for a friend.

Can anybody recommend a good and relatively simple cacciatore recipe? It doesn’t have to be (and I would prefer it not be) from scratch (i.e. start by peeling tomatoes and stomping them by foot and evaporating razor blade sliced garlic ala Goodfellas)- a mix is fine, though I usually add a little red wine and a lot of garlic anyway.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I like making cacciatore using just a basic chunky marinara sauce. It may not be as close to authentic as your original secret sauce, but I find it works well for me. I would, however, choose the sauce for one that’s got no added sugars in it. (I can’t give you a brand recommendation, since the brand I use is geographically limited.) Add chicken, cover with sauce, and simmer for 45-60 minutes. If you feel the sauce may be too thick, just add some water or white wine to thin it out. (Or red wine if you feel that’s better for what you’re going for.)

Personally, I like adding in slices of pepper to the sauce about ten minutes out from finish time, or maybe throwing in some criminis into the sauce to simmer with the chicken. But that’s just adding in things I like with the chicken and tomato sauce. YMMV. (Another add-in that can make for interesting flavor addition is to simmer in maybe a tablespoon or two of capers with everything.)

One compromise I do for the chicken - I’ll take the skins off the breasts, the thighs, and trim the edges of any wings I use - but leave the skin on the rest of the wings and the legs. This lets me get some chicken fat from the skin in there without completely covering the dish with it. YMMV, of course.

I got a really good recipe for that on the back of a ronzoni rigatoni box :slight_smile:

This is not “real” chicken cacciatore, but it’s definitely a tasty recipe, and one that I make on a regular basis:

Cacciatore simmering sauce in a jar from Trader Joe’s.

:cool:

Apparently what you were using was a yogurt and curry mixture. I’d try getting some mild curry powder, yogurt, and grapes and rolling your own. None of that is expensive, so if you can’t make it, no big deal.

This is one of my all time favourite recipes! Simple to make and delicious!

I’ve had really good results with the recipe from Keith Young. He beat Booby Flay on Throwdown with his recipe.

The recipe in Joy of Cooking is a good one. The sauce consists of chicken stock, white wine, tomato paste, and brandy. I like to add a whole lot of mushrooms and chopped onions. Add a few tablespoons of flour to the sauce if you want it thicker. I use skinless chicken parts, but be sure to leave the bones in. I’ve done it with boneless, but you lose a lot of flavor. I’ve even added some extra bones at times for extra flavor.

Saute the onions and mushrooms before adding. I’ve found that you need to simmer the whole thing for about 90 minutes, so I don’t add the shrooms and onions until about 30 minutes in to avoid them getting mushy.

Thanks for all of these. I’m actually kind of picking and choosing from them so it might turn out really interesting.:wink:

You still have that? That hasn’t been in any of the TJ’s here in a year. I’ll have to check and see if it’s back - it was really, really good. I would put it in the crock pot with the chicken before going to work - heaven.

I love TJ’s mostly, but I hate it when the discontinue things I like.

BTW, their arribiata pasta sauce is really good and makes a good simmer sauce, if you want spicy.

Concur. This is a good, simple recipe. I make it a lot.

Probably too late for you Sampiro, but I loved Jamie Oliver’s recipe when I tried it recently. I served it with French bread instead of beans or salad.

In the future, you can do no wrong with the Pioneer Woman’s anything. Here’s her Chicken Cacciaiatore recipe.