I need a healthy, filling, portable snack

I won’t laugh at you though some would say the processed cheez aspect of the LC makes it both messier and less . . . wholesome? I’ve eaten plenty, but would side with those who favor Babybel – comes in its own container, not smeary, and “real” cheese. Tasty too.

What keeps me going many afternoons is a 12-oz. can of V8 juice. Buy it by the case at Costco.
mmm

I stood and studied all of the granola bars at my grocery store, and all of them were pretty sad when it came to protein (too little. Like 2-3g!) and fiber (also too little). But the South Beach Living High Protein Cereal Bars (yes as in South Beach Diet) won out with 10g of protein. TEN!!! They happen to be quite delicious too.

I usually pick up a box when I go to the store, and use them as a way to fill my tummy up at night when I need to take my gut-wrenching meds with food.

Here’s a nutritional label from the box, allegedly. I consider all other granola bars and snack bars to be a waste of time now.

You realize how uncool that was? Degree of difficulty is nice and all, but . . . .

No nuts?

Sunflower seeds?

Does this ban include a ban on honest-to-goodness real dry sausages?

http://www.cattaneobros.com/products/hot-smoked-beef-sticks/
http://www.polana.com/product/42/Polish_Sausages

Okay, or how about a shooter’s sandwich? You could make a couple of these up at the beginning of the week, slice into small wedges, which should be portable, and delicious cold or cool, as well as filling.

Do you have access to hot water? The instant soups (especially Amy’s brand) are really good. Some are higher carb but most are whole grain and legumes so higher in protein than you’d think.

For tons of ideas google “Bento box” and/or “Shelf stable meals”

I’m definitely with you on fruits and vegetables not having staying power - if you eat them on their own. I find that a combination of carrots and peanut butter, or carrots and hummus, or apples and peanut butter, are much more effective at staving off hunger than any of those things alone or with crackers. YMMV

I’m really not trying to eviscerate every clause of your OP – it just seems that way . . . .

I am surprised though that it’s gone this far without someone jumping on this. For all I know you have access to some spiffy truly-nutritious whole-grain high-fiber low carb granola bar, but the more likely granola bar that you or I will find has been frequently derided as the epitome of unhealthy “health food” for all the sugar, processed gunk, etc. they typically contain. Hint – three year olds willingly eat them . . . .

How about a wide-mouth thermos full of stuff you heated before leaving home? In a thermal lunch bag. Works for “needs refrigeration” items, as well.

Fat is digested more slowly than protein or carbohydrates, so, for staying power, your snacks should have a little fat in them.

Okay, keeping with my cold meat sandwich theme I give you the sichuan bacon mayo bap (I just sort of invented that but I will make it within the week for lunch/snacks):

http://networkedblogs.com/fLGcg

totally agree. apples and peanut butter is one of my favorite snacks.

How about high-fiber cereal like Mini Wheats or something similar? No prep necessary, and if you get the frosted kind they’re tastier than a doughnut (IMO).

Well, I did point the OP towards the only item in the granola bar section of the grocery store that does have a useful amount of protein, and noted that all other bars are crap.

I know you mentioned granola bars, but I’ll do you one better: Lara bars. There is nothing not “real” in them. The “apple pie” one has dates, almonds, apples, walnuts cinnamon and raisin. That’s it. No added sugar, no weird stabilizers.

I know you said you don’t like nuts, but these barely taste of nuts. My personal favorite is the cherry pie one, which is dates, almonds and unsweetened cherries. The chocolate coconut chew is unsweetened coconut, unsweetened cocoa powder, walnuts, almonds and dates. Try one out, you’ll really like them. And they do have “staying” power.

I also recommend these packaged Whole Grain Crackers. You have a choice of extra sharp cheddar, regular cheddar, and peanut butter. You have to find these in well-stocked grocery stores in upper middle class areas and above. I can’t find them at certain grocery stores in the Pittsburgh suburbs if it’s just a middle class 'burb. On sale they’re about $2 for a pack of 6 or 8, so they’re a good deal.

Full fat Laughing Cow cheese is a million times more satisfying than any other packaged portable cheese I’ve ever found.
ETA: I meant Babybel, not Laughing Cow. My bad!

I’d also recommend a little of this in a Pyrex container. It should be served cold: Quinoa, mango and blackbean salad. This stuff is great - ultra light but extremely filling. Warning: whisk the liquids searately and drizzle on dish to your liking. If you’ve got a super ripe mango chances are good you don’t need much of the liquid mixture.

Ah, so, that you did. I do have a bit of a modest see-red moment for Quaker candy er health bars – right up there with the legions of svelte American goddesses that stalked the land within weeks after the release of Snackwells “diet” dessert treats . . . .

Thanks for the tip! I’ll try those babybels; I think I’ve seen them. Yes, the LCs are messy, but I do find them tasty. Probably have other stuff I shouldn’t be eating in them, though. :frowning: Real cheese would be healthier. Thanks!

Eh as it turns out . . . not necessarily, the processing does seem more about the texture and the integration of the flavors (the only weird other stuff added seems to be fairly benign preserving/stabilizing stuff). Fact is part of the texturizing likely involves whipping it, thus introducing air, thus meaning fewer calories (but also less protein) per piece vis a vis Babybel – if this helps you with portion control mentally, probably not a horrible thing.

Source: http://www.thelaughingcow.com/products/light-garlic-original/

(citing the flavor I like best).

I agree with most everyone that my problem is too much carbs/sugars and not enough fat. In fact, that’s probably a problem with my diet in general- I’m just not attracted to fatty foods but then I end up hungry all the time. You all have given me some great suggestions for filling food that sounds appetizing.

Also, stop trying to get me to eat nuts and jerky! :stuck_out_tongue: I don’t like jerky because it’s tough and salty (although I’ve had homemade jerky that was good). I do like cured meats and summer sausage, though, so I will try that in my snack rotation.

Nothing beats a banana. It comes pre-wrapped!