I need a website for some reason

I keep getting these silly “remedies” and “cures” from friends and so far I haven’t found a website that can debunk them. There is nothing on snopes.com. I’ve looked, unless I missed it. I will post here what I just received so it can be debunked. I also want a good website that can help me.

This one is “how to repel mosquitos”

Subject: Mosquito Time - - -

OK, Mosquitoes...prepare to be repelled!!!!! 

Use Bounce Fabric Softener Sheets...
Best thing ever used in Louisiana..just wipe on & go...
Great for Babies 

Bob, a fisherman, takes one vitamin B-1tablet a day 
April through October . He said it works. He was right. 
Hasn't had a mosquito bite in 33 years. Try it. 
Every one he has talked into trying it works on them. 
Vitamin B-1( Thiamine Hydrochloride 100 mg.) 

If you eat bananas, the mosquitoes WILL like you, - 
Something about the banana oil as your body processes it. 
Stop eating bananas for the summer...
mosquitoes will be much less interested. 

This is going to floor you!
One of the best insect repellents someone found
(who is in the woods every day), is Vick's Vaporub. 

Plant marigolds around the yard;
the flowers give off a smell that bugs do not like, 
so plant some in that garden also; 
Helps ward off bugs without using insecticides. 

"Tough guy" Marines who spend a great deal of time
"camping out" say that the very best mosquito repellant
you can use is Avon Skin-So-Soft bath oil.  
Mix it about half and half with alcohol. 

One of the best natural insect repellants I've discovered
is made from the clear, real vanilla. This is the pure 
Vanilla that is sold in Mexico. 
Works great for mosquitoes and ticks. 

When all else fails--get a frog 

Fight West Nile Virus...
Pass this along to all your friends in Skeeter land!!!

This second one is general “info”, including more amazing Coca Cola remedies!
Drinking two glasses of Gatorade can relieve headache pain almost immediately-without the unpleasant side effects caused by traditional pain relievers.

Did you know that Colgate toothpaste makes an excellent salve for burns?

Before you head to he drugstore for a high-priced inhaler filled with mysterious chemicals, try chewing on a couple of curiously strong Altoids peppermints. They’ll clear up your stuffed nose.

Achy muscles from a bout of the flu? Mix 1 Tablespoon of horseradish in 1/2 cup of olive oil. Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes, then apply it as a massage oil, for instant relief for aching muscles.

Sore Throat? Just mix 1/4 cup of vinegar with 1/4 cup of honey and take 1 Tablespo! on six t imes a day. The vinegar kills the bacteria.

Cure urinary tract infections with Alka-Seltzer. Just dissolve two
tablets in a glass of water and drink it at the onset of the
symptoms. Alka-Seltzer begins eliminating urinary tract infections almost instantly, even though the product has never been advertised for this use.

Eliminate puffiness under your eyes…All you need is a dab of
Preparation H carefully rubbed into the skin, avoiding the eyes. The hemorrhoid ointment acts as a vasoconstrictor, relieving the swelling instantly.

Honey remedy for skin blemishes…Cover the blemish with a dab of honey and place a band-aid over it. Honey kills the bacteria, keeps the skin sterile, and speeds healing. It works overnight.

Listerine therpy for toenail fungus…Get rid of unsigh! tly toenail
fungus by soaking your toes in Listerine mouthwash. The powerful antiseptic leaves your toenails looking healthy again.

Easy eyeglass protection…To prevent the screws in eyeglasses from loosening, apply a small drop of Maybelline Crystal Clear nail polish to the threads of the screws before tightening them.

Coca-Cola cure for rust…Forget those expensive rust removers. Just saturate an abrasive sponge with Coca Cola and scrub the rust stain. The phosphoric acid in the coke is what gets the job done.

Cleaning liquid that doubles as bug killer…If menacing bees, wasps, hornets, or yellow jackets get in your home and you can’t find the insecticide, try a spray of Formula 409. Insects drop to the ground instantly.

Smart splinter remover…just pour a drop of Elmers Glue-all over the splinte r, let dry, a! nd peel the dried glue off the skin. The splinter sticks to the dried glue.

Hunt’s tomato paste boil cure…Cover the boil with Hunt’s tomato paste as a compress. The acids from the tomatoes soothe the pain and bring the boil to a head.

Balm for broken blisters…To disinfect a broken blister, dab on a few drops of Listerine…a powerful antiseptic. Heinz vinegar to heal bruises…Soak a cotton ball in white vinegar and apply it to the bruise for 1 hour. The vinegar reduces the blueness and speeds up the healing process.

Kills fleas instantly. Dawn dishwashing liquid does the trick. Add
a few drops to your dog’s bath and shampoo the animal thoroughly. Rinse well to avoid skin irritations. Goodbye fleas

Rainy day cure for dog odor…Next time your dog comes in from the rain, simply wipe down the an! imal with Bounce or any dryer sheet, instantly making your dog smell springtime fresh.

Eliminate ear mites…All it takes is a few drops of wesson corn oil in your cat’s ear. Massage it in, then clean with a cotton ball.
Repeat daily for 3 days. The oil soothes the cat’s skin, smothers the mites, and accelerates healing.

Vaseline cure for hairballs…To prevent troublesome hairballs, apply a dollop of vaseline petroleum jelly to your cat’s nose. The cat will lick off the jelly, lubricating any hair in its stomach so it can pass easily through the digestive system.

Quaker Oats for fast pain relief…It’s not for breakfast anymore!
Mix 2 cups of Quaker Oats and 1 cup of water in a bowl and warm in the microwave for 1 minute, cool slightly, and apply the mixture to your hands for soothing relief from arthritis pain
I’ve noticed that all these amazing things include Coca Cola and Bounce Fabric Softener sheets.

FTR I would like to say that Skin-So-Soft actually DOES make an excellent bug repellent. We use it all the time down at the family shorehouse (which is on a salt-marsh) and it is the only thing we’ve found in my 20 years of existence that will keep both the mosquitos and the greenheads (picture a horsefly from hell only with a green colored head) away.

Vitamin B works from some people and not for others, I don’t know why, but on the other side of things Garlic tablets seem to do a decent job (but can make you smell a bit garlicy when you sweat)

Quite true for some insects. Not entirely sure about mozzies though. When crushed, marigolds give off a strong scent that you can smell. The insects can detect the odour even if the plant is not crushed and tends to keep them away. The oils contained in the marigold (and it may be species specific) are repellent to some insects.
You’d probably have to have a field of them to keep enough mozzies away to be useful.

:Puff pant wheeze: I finally made it here after searching through five pages of IMHO and I haven’t been able to access it through the link in my e-mail. Bleh.

Anyway, thanks for the verification of some of this. I found some sites that happened to be listed in the newspaper today that could help me. Here is a site of particular interest:

www.quackwatch.com

Skin So Soft is old, old news as mosquito repellent and it works very, very well.