I need book suggestions [urinating dog] [urinating dog]

Opal, have you read any of the books by Wilbur Smith. Mainly historical novels and set in Southern Africa, but they are a good read.

A favorite of mine by him is Eagle in the Sky

I like some of Tom Holt’s books, Flying Dutch and Who’s Afraid of Beowulf are good, but some of them aren’t that great. Not as consistent as Pratchett by a long shot.

Tom Robbins is good, I especially liked Skinny Legs and All and Jitterbug Perfume.

I have a soft spot for Asimov if you like classic science fiction.

Tolkein of course.

Michael Palin’s book Hemingway’s Chair.

I’d include Neverwhere in that list, too. A very amusing Gaiman book.

Jonathan Carroll is a god among men. Many of his books are out of print in the United States, but they’re gradually coming back, and, since you’re obviously a Pratchett fan, I would wholeheartedly recommend Carroll, even though he and Pterry don’t write similarly at all…

Opalcat,
You might want to see if you can dig up some copies of Gene Wolfe’s Book of the New Sun tetralogy. He’s an amazing writer.

Patrick O’Brian has a whole series of historical novels – I’m sure you’ve heard of them – revolving around his two heroes, Jack Aubrey and Stephen Maturin. They are wonderful books, but you have to be willing to invest the time into learning nautical terminology.

If you want a little light humor, try any of Dave Barry’s books. I gave a recently-divorced lady friend of mine a copy of Dave Barry’s Guide to Guys and she laughed until she could hardly breathe. (She has since re-married, so no permanent harm was done.)

There’s a fascinating book called An Instance of the Fingerpost, by a fellow whose name I can’t recall. It’s another historical novel that presents four different viewpoints of the same events.

If you like straight-up whodunnits, go scarf all of Rex Stout’s Nero Wolfe novels you can find at the library. Stout had a marvelous way of laying out the story transparently through Archie Goodwin.

For humor with a bite, nobody comes close to Pratchett, but P.J. O’Rourke has some terrific stuff. Be prepared for strong language and a pretty right-wing attitude.

If you’re a Tolkien fan, see if you can rustle up an old copy of the Harvard Lampoon’s Bored of the Rings. It is absolutely hysterical.

If you have never read anything by James P. Blaylock or Tim Powers, you owe that to yourself, too, especially The Anubis Gates and The Thirteenth Coin. Blaylock’s “Jonathan Bing” books are a lot of fun, also.

RR

I’m a rabid Pratchett fan too, but fantasy is normally something I stay away from.

I’ll throw in my €0.02:

Harlot’s Ghost - Norman Mailer. The first 80-odd pages are really terible, but it evolves into a fantastic description of the CIA in the 50’6 and 60’s. Being Mailer, it’s not a suspense story.

American Tabloid and The Cold Six Thousand - James Ellroy. His style of writing takes getting used to. The 2nd book is written without commas. A lot of his characters fade in and out in his books, but these are connected. Basically it’s the Kennedy Killing, but in a totally fresh way.

Cider House Rules, Son of a Circus & Widow for One Year - John Irving. Everuthing by Irving is good, but these are excellent.

Good as Gold - Joseph Heller. Most have read Catch 22. Good as Gold is very entertaining. I laughed out loud when I read it.

The Right Stuff, Bonfire of Vanities and A Man in Full - Tom Wolfe.

High Fidelity, About a Boy - Nick Hornby. The movies were kinda true to the books, but the books are - as always, better. I winced when I read HF, thinking: “Geez, we men are such suckers and I’m one of them.”

One Pratchett, if you haven’t read it - buy now The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents. Prolly my best read, all categories, this past winter. TP has outdone himself and gives us a truly thought provoking, funny, dark, mature book. Its language is powerfull, the storytelling flawless. And it’s labeled: “Discworld for younger readers.”

Geek Love by Katherine Dunne. Not for the lighthearted squeamish type reader though.

I love Asimov and I’ve read quite a bit of his stuff… I read Jitterbug Perfume and hated it, so I’ve been hesitant to read any more Tom Robbins…

I’m going to suggest two entirely different books. I recommend both very highly.

In keeping with the science-fiction tone, The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. It’s got a convoluted timeline, flashing back and forwards with abandon, and can be hard to keep track of. But the story, and the issues examined therein, are simply stunning. (In brief, signals from space indicating intelligence are received, and while the various nations argue about what to do, a Jesuit priest leverages the resources of the Catholic church to lead the first mission to the other world.) One of the finest science-fiction novels I’ve ever read, on a par with A Canticle for Leibowitz – and it’s a debut.

And now for something completely different.

I just finished A Primate’s Memoir by Robert Sapolsky. It’s nonfiction, the sometimes rambling recollections of a naturalist/biologist who spent many years in Africa studying baboon behavior. The first three-quarters of the book are the strongest; the last couple of chapters read like Sapolsky was getting tired of writing and started dashing off imagery in rapid-fire fragments. Also, the ending is pretty depressing. Still, it’s very much a worthwhile read, focusing just as much on the absurdities of cultural clashes and third-world bureaucracy as on Sapolsky’s scientific work. Many of the anecdotes are fall-down hilarious, and all of them are compulsively readable, dragging you forward through the narrative. Sapolsky resists the temptation to idealize his baboon subjects, presenting them honestly as a ragtag band of often selfish and obnoxious creatures. Then, with a wicked glint, he draws subtle parallels with the various humans who obstruct his research, showing that people can be just as petty and mean-spirited. Highly recommended.

Ever consider picking up any comic book trade paperback collections? They’re not just for kids anymore. :slight_smile:

Astro City pits a town full of superheroes against a more reality based universe

Top 10…a police force in a city where EVERYone has super powers

Powers…a noir-ish tale of two detectives who invesitgate superhero related crimes (of which murder seems to be popular)

Rising Stars…113 children are mysteriously born with powers and the government tries to keep a tight leash on them.

But if you read no other comic series for fear that they are still too childish, read Watchmen. Hard to explain, but it’s the most adult take on the genre I’ve ever seen and it’s got a story that will stay with you.

**Opal, my recommends aren’t scifi/fantasy, but it seems like you have some pretty diverse tastes considering what you say you’ve read:

Possession by A.S. Byatt is a great book, a bit difficult to start but really catches fire after the first thirty pages or so.

Maeve Binchy seems to use the same story-telling devices regularly, but she uses them well. Her stories contain excellently drawn characters, especially Circle of Friends and Scarlet Feather.

Any collection of David Sedaris’ essays will provide a healthy dose of sardony (is that a word?) and irony without too much cynicism. Me Talk Pretty One Day is great as is Holidays on Ice. If you can get past his voice (it really annoys some people), he and his quasi-famous sister Amy do all the reading for the fantastic books-on-tape versions.

In the kiddie lit department, Lemony Snicket’s Series of Unfortunate Events is a little smarmy but not without its merits. I’m not sure if they’re the kind of thing you’d like Dominic (that’s his name, right?) reading, but now you’ll know.

As far as the women-who-kick-butt genre, I’ve recently been reading and enjoying Janet Evanovich’s “number” series, but it was really a natural for me as I also love Sue Grafton’s “alphabet” series. I wouldn’t call these books edifying, but they are fun.

Non-fiction picks can be found in the non-fiction recommends thread.

Good luck wading through all these books!

Could someone please explain to me the in-joke in the thread title? And if its from a good sci-fi/fantasy type novel(which I gather it is from the second post), point me in the right direction to find said novel.

Band name!

if you like sassy kinda female humour then Janet Evanovich’s stephanie plum series is great, starts with ‘one for the money’… so far there are 8 books in the series.

Well, you bashed Fred here so I don’t know how you’ll like my recommendations.

1. I’ll second Gene Wolfe’s Book of the New Sun 'ology and also Soldiers in the Mist where the hero has a Memento-type memory affliction.

2. Douglas Adams anything.

3. If you like humor and fantasy, then L. Sprague de Camp Enchanter books and Fritz Lieber Swords of _____ series. Fafhrd and Grey Mouser rule!

4. Hi Fred!

5. Mary Gentle’s Grunts!. What orcs are really like under the covers. I hear her Book of Ash series is good as well.

6. Peter F. Hamilton Night’s Dawn Trilogy. Outdoes Dune in scope and setting.

7. He’s an acquired taste, but George Carlin’s Brain Droppings. I haven’t read his second book, Napalm & silly Putty.

Since you seem to like science fiction, Ian McDonald is one of my favorites.

Nanook of the North Shore

The joke from the thread title is from Terry Pratchett’s Interesting Times, part of the Discworld series, which you can find a lot more about here, here, and here.

All of Discworld is set in a mirror of our own world and lets TP have fun with a lot of familiar things. Intersteing Times is set in what is easy recognisable as China, with a sprinkle of Japan, thrown in. [urinating dog] is making fun at pictographs and this one represents exclamation mark. TP often says “The use of multiple exclamation marks is a clear sign of a sick mind”

I’ve read the Stephanie Plum books through number 6; Seven Up wasn’t out in paperback when I finished and I haven’t gotten it yet now that it is. Thanks for reminding me :smiley:

I’ve got quite a good list going – keep it up! I trust the people on this board to have a better sense for good books than most people… I know that I won’t come here and have everyone say “ooooh I just read the latest Danielle Steele and it was great!”

An Instance of the Fingerpost is by Ian Pears. Very strange book, but I liked it.

I would second the Barbara Kingsolver books. The Poisonwood Bible was just incredible. The Bean Trees and its follow-up, Pigs In Heaven were both good, too.

How about A. Manette Ansay? Her books are really good. Vinegar Hill was an Oprah pick, but don’t let that throw you. They’re not sappy romance-fluff books. She also wrote River Angel, Sister and Midnight Champagne.

I just read Girl With A Pearl Earring and Falling Angels by Tracey Chevalier. Both excellent reads.

Ever read Anita Shreve? The Pilot’s Wife is really good. Also Fortune’s Rocks, The Weight of Water, The Last Time They Met, Where or When, Strange Fits of Passion, and Resistance. She has a new one called Sea Glass, but I haven’t read it yet. Be warned…hers do not always end “happily ever after.”

As for John Grisham, I would also recommend The Painted House. No lawyers…quite a change for Grisham. And The Testament. It had lawyers, but it wasn’t his usual idealistic-young-lawyer-bucks-the-system formula. I thought The Testament was great.

How about Ken Follett? I love him. Night Over Water, Jackdaws, and A Place Called Freedom are all great books. *Pillars Of The Earth * is one of my favorite books of all time. It’s long, but worth it.

Nelson DeMille? The Talbot Odyessy, The Gold Coast, Word Of Honor, Plum Island and Spencerville are all good. Plum Island is my personal favorite.

How about A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Betty Smith? An oldie but a goodie. One of my favorites.

Hard Eight by Janet Evanovich is due out this month.