I need help finding a book I read in childhood.

I read a book when I was in elementary school, it would have been in the years between 1965 and 1971, and I have never been able to get the story out of my mind. It was an advanced story for my age group and was told from the perspective of a tree. I think it was a sequoia, and it covered the years between it’s initial growth to when it fell and lived on as part of the forest. I remember there was a battle between Native Americans and an arrowhead was buried in the tree, which grew around it; there was also a forest fire, which it survived but was still burned. It was a magical book that took me out of my daily life, which was unpleasant, and I would love to read it again, but for the life of me, I can remember neither title nor author. I have been surprised at the ability of the SDMB members to come up with the correct answers to the most obscure questions, so perhaps this will jog someone’s memory. TYIA

Is it perhaps The Tree of Time by Kathy Baron or Sequoia by Tony Johnston? I realize they’re both newer than what you described but often books like this get republished.