I need some quick French help! Wife was in an accident in France

I was just informed via email by my BIL that my wife, living in Germany, was in a car accident in France. Her cell is evidently not working, but I have a number she apparently can be reached at.

I probably remember enough of my high-school & college French to more or less correctly pronounce what you write out for me.

If the person who answers the phone isn’t my wife, and doesn’t speak English, how do I ask to be connected to her?

"Something like, “hello, I’m calling from America, I don’t speak French. My wife is American. She was in an accident, and is at your hospital. Her name is… May I be connected/speak with her?”

Much thanks in advance!

Quick and dirty, sometihing like:
Bonjour. Je suis Americain. Je ne parlez pas le Francais. Je veux parlez avec (Wife’s name).*

That prolly ain’t quite right, but oughta get the point across. A real french speaker may be able to help better.

Bonjour. Je suis Americain. Je ne parle pas francais. Mon épouse a été blessée dans un accident d’automobile. Elle s’appelle insert name here. M’aiderez-vous à parler avec elle ?

Best I could do. I haven’t spoken French in a few years, and most of my old course books are tucked away in my attic. The cases may be wrong, and I had to babel fish a little bit as well. They should understand this, however.

Best wishes to you and your wife.

forgot the bit about her being at their hospital. Let me try again:

Bonjour. Je suis Americain. Je ne parle pas francais. Mon épouse a été blessée dans un accident d’automobile. Elle est à votre hôpital. Elle s’appelle insert name here. M’aiderez-vous à parler avec elle ?
winces I think that’s it.

Eh, most Europeans don’t care if you blatantly speak English to them. Just get her name in there and even if they speak none at all, there’s a good chance they’ll be able to figure it out.

Where’s clairobscur when you need him(her)?

Yeah, just about everyone speaks English over there, or there will be someone close by that does. Shouldn’t be a problem communicating.

Thanks for the help guys. The French did help, the people who answered weren’t English friendly, but I got through, eventually.

She hit a large truck. Air Bags deployed, broken bone in left foot, bruised ribs, but otherwise OK. Back to Germany on Saturday.

Thanks again.

If a passing Mod would like to move or close this, that’s fine. It’s no longer GQ, I guess.

levdrakon, sorry to hear that she is injured at all, but how fortunate that they are relatively minor injuries. Wonderful news, and glad you got help so quickly :slight_smile:

If you contact the appropriate US Consulate in France, they have civil service types who can help. I’m sure that they have a protocol for this.

In fact, one of these should be near your wife’s hospital.