I need to protest: Not all women like bad guys

I’m not getting any more nookie (or any less) with the shaved head, earring, slightly scarred look, but it has gotten me a bit more attention.

That said, I’m a fairly nice guy in my own right and I’ve landed myself a hot little thing.

I think a lot of girls confuse “bad guys” with “confident guys”.

So there. :smiley:

Stranger

There’s always this high-powered intellectual brain barbeque going on in Great Debates right now:

Perhaps the best bet for the nice guys is to cultivate a few bad-boy trappings. Not the assholery, just a few of the props. Confidence (I know, I know, easier said than done–I’m shy, so I know the trouble it can be), earrings.

I have a major thing for men with pierced ears. To me, they’re easily as much of a draw as well-fitting jeans.

I agree. I am all about the stable, job-holding/self-employed guy with a unique personality and a sense of humour. Drugs* + assholey confidence (i.e. confidence involving being a jerk to other men and women) + anything stereotypically labelled “dangerous” makes me run the other way.

*By this I mean anything more than smoking weed once in a very long way. I don’t indulge but I don’t care if people take a hit off a bong at a party once in a while. Anything more than that makes my “loser” radar go off.

Mmmm, yes. Me too. An otherwise quiet guy with pierced ears automatically gets upgraded from “shy” to “confident” in my mind.

You know you just caused a large majority of male Dopers to pierce their ears, right?
:smiley:
Then we’ll start seeing a new Photo thread with all these guys showing off their new sparklies.

bwahahahahahaha…

Already done. :smiley:

[sub]…in 1994. :slight_smile: [/sub]

How long does it take to get to Toronto from here? I can’t remember. :wink:

That depends on where you are now. :slight_smile:

I think there’s something real beyond just stereotyping here, and I think it’s age-related.

Many young girls go thru the stage of wanting bad boys, it’s a great rebellion thing when you’re first trying to spread your wings. Parents are always cautioning “nice girls don’t do this or that” and quite definitely bad boys are on the list.

Add in the saviour mentality, some sort of nurturing earth-momma vibe liberally mixed with a million literary and cultural references to the great guy underneath who’s just been hurt and needs a little TLC to really shine, and yeah, plenty of young women really are fascinated by bad boys.

I’d go so far as to call it nearly a rite of passage, it’s normal. Sure I crushed on Wolverine as a teenager, now that I’m in my 30s I crush on Dr.McCoy instead. :cool:

Last time I went, it took seven hours by plane.

And three and half hours sitting on the runway waiting for a rainstorm to abate!

I have this friend. I used to think he was pretty nice. He’s usually considerate, friendly, easy to get along with.

Then he started dating the woman I was (and am) really attracted to.

What a fucking asshole, eh?

Just goes to show, I think.

(I’ll leave it to you to draw any morals from this tale.)

My guess would be that we’re not looking at a representative sample–we only hear stories from guys about the bad guy that stole their girl, or from gals who lost their man to a wanton woman. We’re not going to hear from the guy who whines that that claims clerk from down the hall stole his girlfriend, or the woman saying that the librarian stole her man…

… come to think of it, I lost a girlfriend once to a bassoon player…

Ah hah. All I have to do to rake in the babes is polish my bad guy motorcycle heavy metal trapeze act. And then I’ll be in like Flint. Whoohoo!

Sorta more on topic…IMO, the whole bad guy thing is probably do to women having a preference to men who aren’t boring. Guys who call themselves “nice guys” tend to be bland milk sops.

If I’m not being whooshed, I’d say that depended on whether or not he knew you liked her. If he knew, then yes, he was an ass.

But I have this ominous feeling I’m being whooshed.

I think you bring up a good point here.

First, one has to consider that girls who date “assholes” might not consider said mate to be an asshole, regardless of how their relationship appears to outsiders. However, it’s been my experience that most women do know when they are dating an asshole. FTR, I agree with your statement that a good portion of the male population fits into this category, but I think you have to be careful because, as you said, such observation is subjective. I also think that 2 and 3 are more on target than you have indicated.

The truth is not that all women like bad guys. I think that more women just end up dating the assholes sometimes believing that:

1. They can “change” him.
  2. It was just one little thing, he’ll never do it again (generally believed far past the “one” time).
  3. Eventually, the asshole will realize what a “good thing” he has, and he will become the man she was always sure he was, underneath it all.
  4. They’ve never dated any other type of man, and so actually believe there are no true “nice guys” out there.
  5. They will never find anyone else that will treat them this “well” (True assholes perpeptuate that particular myth).

Out of curiosity, do we have a definition for “bad boy” or asshole that we can all agree on? Guys with earrings- not necessarily assholes or bad boys IMO. I think we need a more concrete definition.

Listen to your feelings. :wink:

Dr. HANK McCoy? Lady, that’s just sick!

What? :stuck_out_tongue:

He’s strong, well-read, intelligent, well-adjusted, quotes poetry whilst kicking bad-guy butt…and, well, I’d not have to worry so much about a bad hair day with him as an SO right? :smiley: