I participate in a protest

I was there!. I like that this article calls my school “notoriously liberal”. It reminds me in a weird way of when Cyberian called Opal an “admitted former stripper”, like that’s some sort of crime that she had confessed to.

Just say no to grades!

~Kyla

“You couldn’t fool your mother on the foolingest day of your life if you had an electrified fooling machine.”

More fun stuff on my protest.

I know that in the past, people have been interested in my school’s grading system (or lack of it), which is why I’m posting this stuff.

~Kyla

“You couldn’t fool your mother on the foolingest day of your life if you had an electrified fooling machine.”

So what is the current grading system?

Teeming Millions: http://fathom.org/teemingmillions
“Meat flaps, yellow!” - DrainBead, naked co-ed Twister chat
O p a l C a t
www.opalcat.com

Currently, we receive written evaluations, which are usually about a paragraph or so discussing how we did in a course, ie, how we did on the midterm, how we did on the final, class particpation, etc., etc. In almost all classes (the only exceptions are writing courses), grades are optional. Many people choose to get grades as well, especially those planning a medical-type career.

So here we have 180 faculty members trying to change a system that has been in effect for 35 years in FOUR DAYS with TWO HOURS of debate, with NO student input. Not only that, but the meeting took place in the afternoon of the last day of the quarter, when students are busy with finals. Not to mention that if the vote had passed, we would have had trouble protesting because Monday is the start of finals. There are a zillion other things wrong with the proposal besides this obvious sneakiness, besides.

Maybe I should rant about it in the Pit.

~Kyla