I pit all the morons who continue to engage with Clothahump, and the mods who refuse to ban him

One more time, assuming you have yet to read post #47 in the ATMB thread about you: if you don’t like the way you are treated in the Pit, simply don’t [post in the Pit. It’s a sideshow. If you have a rational, non-angry, non-insulting political point to make, you should be able to make it in GD or Elections without trouble, and no one can insult you there without them getting in dutch with the mods.

So, why is it you refuse to take this simple step, exactly?

As someone who called out Cloth and even went so far as to label him a troll, I’ll say this also: I’m not a fan of cyber mobs.

The solution is simple: let the mods deal with him or anyone who’s trolling through progressive discipline. Troll once, you get a warning. Troll twice, you get a little time out. Troll thrice…you get a longer time out. Troll four times, maybe a temporary ban and then writing a letter to the mods explaining how you’re a changed userhandle is in order. Violate that, and then IP ban.

I’m not so much ‘defending’ the poster in question as much as I am principle, which should be applied evenly regardless of political leanings.

I would be just fine, with the Clot getting the fuck out, personally.

…and another elucidator one-liner disolves in a puddle of flop-sweat…

One person’s cyber mob is another person’s group of people who just happen to have a similar opinion about someone.

He really isn’t though. I’ve met him in real life on several occasions and I’ve always enjoyed his company. In real life, he’s a great guy to hang out with. We disagree on a lot of issues but it’s never been a problem.

That said, the Clothahump I see on this board is different from the person I’ve met in real life. I don’t know he’s chosen to present himself here in the way he has.

And I’ve met Shodan at a dopefest and had a pleasant time.

And thanks for sharing that and for humanizing Clothahump. I think we forget that we’re human – we all are ya know.

And I guess that’s why I posted that I don’t like this cyber-mob shit. Maybe Clotha hump got rubbed the wrong way and his postings are just his way of stirring the pot because he’s rebelling against the SDMB culture.

Clothahump enjoys the stories of M.R. James, so I can’t excoriate him completely. I’d be happy to sit with him before a roaring fire on Christmas Eve and read him spooky ghost stories while we both sipped a fine Armagnac and slowly smoked our Havanas. As long as politics didn’t come up and he kept his pants on.

We could sip good Kentucky Bourbon and smoke Camel straights if he’s “American made only.” I never noticed that affinity in his posts, though.

To Clothahump, if I may (and with apologies to BPC):

What prompted you to take us all off your ignore list?

Because of all the pushback he was getting for putting everyone on it.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showpost.php?p=20380306&postcount=80

ETA: Ninja’d by Cochrane.

Pretty much the same reason I cleared my list. It really didn’t work the way it was supposed to.

Presumably because acting the same way in real life could get his ass kicked.

OP, I don’t think your call to ignore **Clothahump **is working. This is the Internet. We WANT the drama.

Here’s your fundamental disconnect: there were no insults in my post. There were statements of facts.

Let’s review. Chimera said:

My response was:

Now, I could have come out and called him a fucking liar, because his statement was totally wrong. I could have made the assumption that he knew it was wrong, but said it anyway. I chose, however, to simply use sarcasm to point out that he was wrong. No insults, just statement of fact.

But because I stated that fact, you’re claiming I was insulting. And this is what I have to put up with on a daily basis/

And I forgot to ask: you claim I am insulting. BPC called you a moron in the OP. Why aren’t you raising hell with him about insulting you?

And you had said “Another self-proclaimed expert on me who has learned a buzzword and wants to show it off to everyone.” Would you be thinking this was an insult if aimed at you? I’m thinking you would. Maybe you should dial back the snide statements that make you come across as a jerk.

And seriously, you’re not alone in putting up with insults and the like on a daily basis. Its part of life, especially when the subjects of Religion and Politics are involved. The rest of us just don’t go around crying to everyone about how put upon we are.

Perhaps the relevance of this request - to ban a poster who hasn’t broken the rules but who posts ideas outside of the general purview of the board - is lost on you.

I think if you yell “Troll” a few hundred more times your wish might come true.