I Pit Drunks Falling on Subway Tracks

Yep. It’s two beers per glass. So she had eight and a half beers. And she weighs 100lbs…

22oz is a standard but not terribly common size. A lot of specialty brewers bottle in 22 ouncers.

Also, you can find 22 oz malt liquors in most convenience stores. They’re often referred to as ‘double deuces.’

Not at bars they aren’t. 16 oz is only a pint here in the states. In Europe a Pint is 20oz. Many bars here in the states have larger than pint sizes (22-23 oz typically), one such bar that I go to at least once a month has “Mondo” size specials for the usual price of a 16oz. The Mondo is 23oz.

Also, I personally never buy glass bottles of beer at a bar. For the cost of two beers I can get a six pack. No, if I go to a bar, I want draft beer (usual micros).

And let us not forget the 25oz oil cans.

I don’t know who you are, but I think you’re terrific.

I’m not sure about Hungry but those other places have Mass Transit trains in ther major cities. So the story has some ‘local appeal’.

Hungry isn’t a country

Budapest, the capital of Hungary, has a subway system - actually Line #1 is the 3rd oldest in the world.

Indeed, there’s a rather good film about it (sort of).

Exactly. She did exactly what she was supposed to do – she took public transit, possibly opting for it over drinking and driving or accepting a ride from someone who’d been drinking. She drank too much (not a crime, especially if your intention is to get drunk), she had an accident and will forever be embarrassed. If you can point me in the direction of some evidence that she’s an ungrateful jerk or is suing the transit system for not having drunk barriers, I’d happily support this pitting.

It’s a difference of consequence, too, because she was risking harm to others and not just herself. A panic stop can be dangerous to people on the train. Her falling in front of the train could have ruined the driver’s life; running over someone can be devastating even if the driver was in no way at fault. If her fall had taken someone else down with her, or if some hero had jumped down to try to save her, that would have put even more lives in jeopardy.

If you’ve gotten falling-down drunk, don’t put yourself in a situation where falling down endangers yourself and others. That’s the whole reason we prohibit drunk driving, after all, and this was just a difference of degree.

Oh, bollocks. Poor chick had a few beers and took a header off a rail platform. Coulda happened to any of us.

Well it couldn’t have happened to me from a “few beers.” Maybe when I was 17. And on an empty stomach.

So you suggest that we outlaw drunk standing?

Four 22-ounce beers is the equivalent of 7-and-a-third bottles. Most women I know would be falling down drunk after anything more than a six-pack.

Has she filed a lawsuit yet? I’ll bet the lawyers have already been in contact. That bar was soooooo unscrupulous in serving her all that beer. Had she fallen down the stairs, she would be suing the MBTA for crappy design, lighting, etc… MBTA is probably off the hook if you stagger off the platform onto the tracks.

Has she been on any talk shows? Ain’t America grand!

Rookies.

don’t you mean “skinnies” ?

It’s more the falling on the tracks than the standing next to them that bothered me, and I was going for moral opprobrium as much as legal. IANAL all the time. :stuck_out_tongue:

I suspect, though, that it probably is already against some law or another for an unauthorized person to be on the subway tracks and to interfere with the operation of the train.

How about the more extreme case: if she’d pulled someone down with her onto the tracks, is that any less blameworthy than hitting someone with her car while driving drunk?

So only fat people can hold their liquor?

If you check the Hallowe’en picture thread you’ll find that MeanOldLady is not exactly a heifer herself. One might even call her… no, never mind, not going there.