I pit my asshole of a 'Friend'

So we both finish work at the same time, I ask if we could share cabs, he says ok, and so we go across the road to the petrol station, we’re waiting in line, the cab calls him, he walks out of the store, so I’m naively thinking ‘He’ll wait for me at work’
and lo and behold, the cab we ordered drives right past me, with him in it.

I live about 5 minutes away from him, was going to pay for my part of the journey, and wouldn’t of impacted on him at all, and he still took the cab, just so he could get home 5 minutes earlier.

Absolute wanker. So mad right now.

Maybe he just forgot? Had his mind on something else and just kept going with what otherwise would have been a normal taxi-taking experience?

He didn’t forget, I was literally saying in the queue ‘Thanks for the ride’ he just walked off and couldn’t be bothered to share a cab.

Might be time for an objective self-evaluation of your body odor.

I don’t understand the chain of events. You guys were standing in line together, how did you end up back at work again?

So he walked off to get in the cab and you just stayed where you were? Why weren’t you right behind him, getting in? I don’t get it. Sounds to me like either he had some sort of brain fart, or he just assumed you had changed your mind because you weren’t also going to the cab.

Or there are significant relevant facts that you aren’t telling us.

Perhaps when he heard you thanking him for the ride he interpreted it to mean that you were not, in fact, planning to share the expense.

He thought you said “share a tab” and he went on to the bar and later started a thread on another message board about his asshole ‘friend’ that never showed up.

Or he thought, “Who the hell drinks Tab anymore?” and left in disgust.

Just ask him why he took off the next time you see him. Maybe it was a brain fart, maybe he assumed you weren’t coming when you stayed behind, or maybe he is a dick. Has he pulled stuff like this before?

Count me in the “The cab called, he went, where the fuck were you?” crowd.

If I called a cab and someone wanted to ride with me, I’d expect them to follow me out to the cab. If they didn’t, I’d assume they either changed their mind or were being a passive-aggressive dick and trying to make me wait for them. In either case, I’m gone.

Maybe he’s not into guys.

Maybe he is into guys, but not the clingy type.

This right here. If he hasn’t, then why not assume that it was most likely not intentional? If he has, then, well, he’s your friend.

So where were you when he got into the cab? If you were “at work,” isn’t that on the other side of the road? Why didn’t you tell him “Hey, I’m going back to work, pick me up there”? If this is what happened, he had every reason to think you backed out."

I’m assuming the OP was standing in line* to complete a purchase, and presumed his putative ride-sharer would let him finish the transaction before driving away.

Oh wait, you’re a Brit, aren’t you? “Standing on queue,” I mean

This is how I read it.

Are you black? Because, maybe it’s the taxi driver that’s an asshole and not your friend.

Possibly, but this is far from clear in the OP, and it may not have been clear to the ‘friend’.

[ol]
[li] The name Ryan_Liam strongly suggests Irish.[/li][li] No British person (nor Irish person, I am fairly sure) would ever say “Standing on queue.” It would be “standing [or waiting] in a queue,” or just “Queuing.”[/li][li] He actually said “waiting in line” in the OP.[/li][/ol]

Still does’t explain why he would have expected the cab to wait for him back at work. Why not just wait for him where they were?

Somehow they were across the street to get a cab, and the OP ended up back on the other side of the street, and the cab drove past. Makes no sense. Unless the cab had to go quite a distance, make a U turn, and then go back to where they work and in the meantime, the OP walked back across the street.

If that’s the case, it doesn’t seem like so much an infraction as an accident.