I Pit public restrooms

Huh? You splatter your shorts but not trousers? I don’t get it. ETA: Ahh, skin. OK. Well at least it’s your own pee!

Anyway, my beef with the bathroom at work here is it’s too damned quiet. You could literally, and I mean literally hear a pin drop. So, guess what else you can hear drop? I really hate it when I venture into an empty bathroom ready to void the extra-spicy chicken wings and draught beer from the evening before, and someone enters the stall right beside me 5 seconds later.

Oh great. I just know he’s looking at my shoes and will find me later on. Maybe it’s the CEO? Shit. What kind of shoes does he have on?

Considering it was a three-story warehouse with no a/c, pretty fucking sweaty, especially for a group of women who don’t wear socks.

And I woudn’t want to deal with my own foot sweat in and around the sink; why should I have to deal with someone else’s?

Don’t take it personally. Some people are just strongly pro foot-washing-in-semi-public-sink advocates. I’m sure ntucker would have had an identical response if you had neglected to mention your coworker’s ethnicity.

I wouldn’t even care so much if they washed their feet in the sink, if they could be bothered to keep it IN the sink! Those bathrooms have manual faucet knobs, where the ladies like to rest the foot that hasn’t been washed yet.

I had read that there is some sort of ritual of foot washing involved with Muslim prayer. Here’s an article about a college installing footwashers to keep people from washing their feet in the sinks, thus breaking them and/or freaking people out. It’s a rather biased article, but it was the first one I found. I’m all for religious tolerance, but it would bum me out if people were washing their feet in the sink.

If it makes you feel any better, until this thread, I assumed they were only in the women’s stalls, because my husband didn’t know what the hell I was babbling about when I whined to him about a certain potty shelf with what must be a fucking Camaro suspension spring, because the damn thing flings my 17 pound purse (no exaggeration. My doc weighed the thing, had a hissy and then called me a dumbass. I love my doc.) halfway across the stall.

They (the spring loaded shelves) are frequently located directly over the itsy-bitsy trashcan bolted to the wall, in exactly the right place to prevent the itsy-bitsy garbage container from opening if, Og forbid, a woman should need a place to set her purse while disposing of her rag. :mad:

My personal theory is that they were designed and implemented by men who hate their wives.

Bring back the hooks!

No, I’m not any more or less grossed out by the pee getting on my pants or on my skin (face it, either way it’s pretty gross); my comment was based on the fact that when you wear pants, you tend not to notice the splatter at all. When you wear shorts, you are suddenly well aware of the fine mist of urine you’re subjected to. The joke is that if the guy who designed urinals ever wore shorts, he might have realized this and revised the design a bit.

Yes, I’ve seen this; I used to work with a guy who did it every day at around 5pm when he was heading to do his prayer. And you know what, I have to admit that the first time I saw it, I went, “ick, that dude’s washing his feet in the sink” because it’s something I wasn’t accustomed to seeing. And then, because I’m an open-minded adult, I thought about it for two seconds and said, “Wait, what’s gross about that? Well, nothing.” and then two cultures lived in harmony instead of automatically finding reasons to be disgusted by each other. Crazy, I know.

Continuing to argue that it’s unsanitary to wash your feet in the sink just makes me think you’re unwilling to question your reflexive “ick” response to something from an unfamiliar culture.

ETA: My comments are not actually directed at you, Darryl

Then the solution is obvious and close at hand.

ntucker you’re about the most blind and/or illiterate fucking person I’ve met here on the Dope. I’ve said that it’s not washing their feet in the sink that’s the actual problem. Some of them don’t keep their feet in the sink, they RUB THEM ON THE FAUCET AND COUNTER. And I’m not Pitting them or their culture; I Pit the fucking managment who is so scared to offend them that they don’t try to put a stop to it. After three years at the job, I was definitely accustomed to it. Just as I grew accustomed to which people were kind enough to respect MY culture of “please don’t put your feet where I have to touch.”

What, no love for this? It cracked me up!

Oh, yes they do. I realized this when I used the one at my local recreation center while wearing shorts and sandals.

But people touch faucets and counters with their hands. I can’t see feet being any more germy, sweaty or gross than hands (which touch money and grubby phones and probably just touched any number of germy things in the toilet stall - including in-use toilet paper). I’m going to wash my hands anyway, so I don’t get the big deal at all. It would be a little “whoa, that’s different” for me but a complete non issue. I definitely wouldn’t ask management to tell someone to stop.

So, I hope I passed your literacy test. You think feet on counters are gross, I don’t think feet are grosser than anything else in a bathroom, so I don’t get the outrage/gross out factor at all.

To the guys who are having trouble with urinal splashback: the key is to aim downwards into the pool of water at the bottom. Don’t most guys figure that out by the time they hit age ten? :confused:

Give me a break. Go read your first post again. Not only is it loaded with little bits of resentment that have fuck-all to do with foot-germs, like griping about diversity training and wailing “what about MY culture,” it doesn’t mention their feet touching the faucet and counter at all. You were complaining about people who wash their feet. Period.

You want to bitch about a specific gross thing someone does while washing their feet in the sink, be my guest. But just complaining that they wash their feet in the sink at all makes you look like a goddamn idiot.

Itsy-bitsy trashcan? Huh?

I swear, I have seen all of these words before, but never in this order. They are meaningless to me.

Where are you peeing? Shangra-freekin’-La? Next time I’m out, I’ll look for these things, but I swear to you that they don’t actually exist.

They’re a rare treat.

Like the condom dispenser.

So if you were meeting me for the first time you wouldn’t have any qualms about shaking my foot?

Next time I’m in a fancy restaurant I’ll look for those on the specials menu. :wink:

Glory I’ve got no beef with you. It bugs me about the feet, and it doesn’t bug you, I can live with that. Everybody’s different, after all.

What I take issue with is the fact that some people think that it’s a great idea to be a douche, just because this is the Pit. As for the diversity training I mentioned in my first post, I was trying to make the point that - at least sometimes - differing cultures at work live side by side with no problems.

But the smart ones already knew that, eh?