I reverse engineered an awesome sammich I had at a restaurant (vegetarian).

So there was this really good Israeli restaurant in my neighborhood that closed down a couple of years ago. (It is the place I learned the wonder that is Shakshuuka.) They had a sammich I loved, and so I made it myself.

Anyways, here’s the recipe:

Softish bakery rolls
1 Cucumber
1 Mango
1 Haas avocado
Mango Pulp or Mango Chutney (The restaurant menu said “mango chutney”, but all I found at an Indian grocer was mango pulp.)
Alfalfa sprouts
Some lemon juice
Muenster Cheese (although the restaurant used brie)

Slice cucumbers sushi style (long strips, cutting out the seeds. This way it is all crunch). Slice mango. Slice avocado, and dip slices in lemon juice so it doesn’t go all brown. Slice rolls. Put a slice or 2 of cheese on bottom half of the roll, and put roll in toaster oven until melty. Assemble to taste.

This is surprisingly filling, and tastes good, and is obviously super healthy. It is also relatively inexpensive (we made 3 rolls worth of sammiches from the ingredients). Untoasted, it is still good.

What’s your favorite vegetarian sandwich?

Avocado is a really powerful sandwich ingredient. It improves so many vegetarian sandwiches.

My favorite sandwich is grilled veggie. Broil sourdough bread slices (with olive oil spread on top) and combine with roasted bell pepper, zucchini, and eggplant. Balsamic vinegar can also be added.

If you prefer Mango chutney, you can get it at your regular grocery store (for us, Kroger or Publix). In fact I’ve never seen mango pulp, but I suspect I might like it better - I’m not really a fan of the chutney.

I plan to try it, and i really appreciate veggie recipes. Thanks!

If you don’t like the cold veggie + melty cheese bit, you could use cream cheese instead of muenster and no toaster oven.

Can’t wait to try it! My favorite sandwich is grilled or pan-fried portobello with either Laughing Cow Cheese (light) or some sort of light cream cheese plus onions, sprouts and some wasabi mustard/paste.

I like to keep it simple. Rye bread, avocado slices, roasted red pepper strips, good cheese (Muenster, Jack, Provolone) stuck under the broiler (or in a toaster oven or sandwich press) just until the cheese is melty. Num.

My local place used to serve: artichoke hearts, roasted garlic cloves, toasted pinenuts, and provolone cheese with a some whole-grain mustard on crusty bread. Grilled open until cheese melted.

I love grilled portabella burgers. Best one I ever had was at the Lee’s Ferry Lodge in Arizona.

Bauernbrot buttered, thick slice of onion, thick slice of apple, a jar or slice of of runny Limburger…Honigsenf mit zimt to condiment.

And I’m not talkin about this pussy American Honeymustard that the corporations put out. Real stone ground whole Mustard seed, vinegar, wine, honey, and Cinnamon Bark.

I’ not vegetarian but the op sandwich sounds great. I was actually thinking of something with cucumber and sprouts that was light and zesty.

My favorite vegi-sandwhich was a burger that a local vending company made. It had rice and mushrooms and God knows what but it was absolutely fabulous. It made every store-bought vegi-burger suck and put the machine hamburgers to shame. Which I could get the recipe for it.

Hot grilled pita bread with a filling of melty provolone cheese, green chili peppers, red bell pepper slices, and alfalfa sprouts. I’m getting hungry now.

There is a place near where I work and they do a focaccia that they toast. The serve is quarter of the thing but I get it cut in half because it is very filling. It is layer after layer of cooked vegetables - grilled peppers, sweet potato, onions, eggplant, tomato, zuchini topped with a layer of spinach omelette and a slice of swiss cheese.
The focaccia seems to be spread with pesto.

Faccocia topped with romaine, sliced red onions , black olives and pepperjack cheese. Oh yeah butter and toast the bread.

A little cafe in my town does an asparagus griller. Fresh, lightly grilled asparagus, swiss cheese and sweet onion dressing on 12-grain bread, thrown on the panini grill=heaven in your mouth

Am I the only one who love love loves Jimmy John’s vegetarian sandwiches? I ascribe a good deal of my law school bloat to them.

Yum- love this thread!

My favourite veg sandwich is really easy: cream cheese, avocado and sprouts on a sweetish brown bread. The avocado should be liberally salted and peppered for optimum fabulousness.

My second favourite, which was created by my son is also pretty easy, once the onions are cooked: smoked Tofurkey, cream cheese, capers and caramelized onions, on lightly toasted brown bread. A grainy mustard is a nice addition.

And finally, my third favourite, which I got from a vegan cookbook by Dreena Burton: peanut butter and sliced banana on a tortilla. The filled tortilla is fried until the peanut butter melts and the outside is a little crispy. The banana cooks and mixes magically with the p.b. to create this melty, warm, slightly messy and very satisfying comfort food.

Yes, that’s where I loved to learn alfalfa sprouts, but we don’t have Jimmy Johns here. Whenever I visit the midwest, I try to stop by one.

Holy shit, I have to try that.

Here’s one from the little sandwich shop by the long-dead dot com I worked for in 2001

1 mini baguette/crusty bread
Tinned/Bottled stuffed grape leaves (Trader Joe’s makes good ones)
Hummus
Tabouleh salad
Lettuce

Chop a couple of dolmas into pieces. Slather bread with hummous and then pile on chopped dolmas and tabouleh. Cover with lettuce.

It was a total calorie bomb but SO GOOD.