Help Me Make An Awesome Sandwhich

I think the title says it all really but I will explain further…

I believe that Americans (although this isn’t limited to US Dopers by any means)really have taken sandwich making to an art form which is why am beseeching you to help me make a kick ass sandwich. My only stipulations are these:

1. It has to contain stuff that would be available in the UK, I want this soon so don’t want to have to mail order or anything.

2. It can’t have too high a ‘filling to bread’ ratio - I like a nice balance, too much filling and it feels like you may as well just eat the filling on its own.

3. it should be something a little unusual if possible, I am a keen foodie and want to broaden my horizons - even a traditional sarnie with a twist would do though.

That’s pretty much it, I’m not a fussy eater and will eat anything - I will even eat things I haven’t liked in the past to see if I like them now or if they have been prepared differently so it’s basically no holds barred.

I will prepare and eat the winner(s) and get back to you with my verdict(s). I really hope you can help!

I should add that although I consider myself a ‘foodie’ I am in no way a snob and welcome ALL suggestions including those really dodgy ideas you may have come up with at two in the morning after too many beers!

My favourite sandwich:

White poppyseed bread, with Cream Cheese spread, Iceberg Lettuce, thinly sliced Onion, Smoked Salmon, capers, and cracked black pepper.

Delicious! :slight_smile:

I like a bacon avocado on italian bread now and then.

My favourite sarnie that I make in the UK for a treat about once a month: crunchy peanut butter, banana, bacon, salt (not “bacon salt”) and Tabasco.

Turkey sandwich with Pesto Mayo

No exact quantities since it depends on how big/small your sandwich will be.

Items:
Italian or some type of sub roll
Thin sliced turkey from the deli counter
Swiss cheese
Cucumber
Spinach (with salad items)
Mayo
Olive oil
Basil (I usually use the stuff in a tube, but I suppose you could use fresh)
Pine nuts or Almonds for pesto
Parmesan cheese
Garlic/salt/pepper

Pesto directions: (from memory)
In a food processor mix:
1/2c mayo, 1-2TBS of basil, slight drizzle of olive oil, 2Tbs nuts, 1/4c grated parmesan cheese, fresh garlic*(optional) salt and pepper to taste.

It should look/taste mostly like a pesto with a mayo base to it.

1. Slice the roll of your choice in half and slightly hollow out the sandwich roll (enough to fit the sliced cucumber)
  2. Slice the cucumber on the bias about 1/4" or so thick
  3. Chiffonade/chop up some of the spinach
  4. Place the spinach and cucumber into the hollowed out portion of your bread
  5. Layer turkey on sandwich
  6. Spread the pesto may on the top of half bread

At this point I wrap it in some wax paper or plastic wrap and let it sit for a little bit in the fridge to let the flavors meld together. It also doesn’t seem to taste as well if it’s between 2 slices of bread, I really believe the key to this sandwich is roll with a crunchy outside and a soft and chewy inside.

One of the classics from a sandwich place i used to work at:

A slice or two of Havarticheese
On top of a few pieces of sliced London Broil Roast Beef
Heat the meat and cheese so its a nice big melty deliciousness

Add toppings of your choice, the best for me is, Lettuce and Roasted Red peppers
finish off with a nice bit of Pub style Horse Radish sauce

Place between two nicely toasted pieces of Marble Rye.

Enjoy!

It’s easy: two slices of bread, one slice of awesome. :smiley:

Why yes, I DO crack myself up, why do you ask?

Bread Sandwich

Ingredients

For the sandwich: 2 slices bread
Butter
For the filling: 1 slice bread

Method

Butter two slices of bread, and place the filling between them. Slice diagonally.

Enjoy!

I like this one.

Tyler’s Ultimate Grilled Cheese

Grilled Cheese
8 slices country-style white bread, sliced 1/2-inch thick
12 ounces farmhouse Cheddar, sliced
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
12 slices bacon, cooked to desired doneness
1 green apple, thinly sliced
Dijon mustard
I prefer sourdough bread and thick cut peppered bacon cooked crispy so it crumbles.

I have one word for you, young man: horseradish. Not that horseradish sauce stuff. Pure, prepared horseradish. A little goes a looooong way. But a cheese sandwich (say, Swiss and Muenster) with lettuce, onion, and a bit of horseradish is awesome. Experiment with it. Embrace it.

Penut butter and bacon on white toast.

White bread,

Chicken (breast, leftover from a Sunday roast)

Chips (home made is best) (the kind that go with fish, or fries as our transatlantic cousins would have it)

tinned tomatoes and a dollop of Heinz tomato ketchup.

Part of the reason for our great American sandwichmaking powers? Thanksgiving. Specifically: Thanksgiving Leftovers.

Anyway…

Well, I once made a humburger out of a breadbowl, once. The burger patty itself contained garlic, and (IIRC) onion, with onion also added as a filler along with mayo, lettuce, etc. I was 12, and a skinny one, at that; my jaw ended up hurting.

Garlic seems to do well, when properly prepared. I’ve been using a pre-prepared garlic paste for a couple of months, with some success, either in moderation or cut with mustard. Cooked garlic, or other ingredients that happen to be garlic-flavored can be used with more gusto.

I’d reccomend using french bread, or some kind of roll (or roll analogue) to preserve structural integrity. (I have never, strictly speaking, made or eaten a Dagwood sandwich proper, so I can’t advise how well one of those holds together under field conditions)

Slice and sautee a small onion. Then, into the frying pan with the onion (fire still on), put about 1/4 pound of pastrami and add honey barbecue sauce. Fry for about 5 minutes, put on bread or in a wrap, and enjoy.

Oh G-d I need to make one of those for myself right now.

Do you guys make meatloaf over there?

If so, then sliced cold meatloaf on whole wheat or white bread with ketchup (my choice) or mayonnaise (Mr. brown’s choice).

Also, appropriately enough for the season, thick slices of beefsteak tomato with lots of crisp bacon on white toast with mayo. Kind of a BLT with no L to take up space better utilized by bacon.

One of my top 10 favorite sandwiches of all time is a Grouper sandwich. But I’m not sure if grouper is available in the UK*, which is ok, because any white, meaty, firm, and mild fish closely related to the grouper, or in the sea bass family will substitute fairly well…

Fairly simple to prepare, one can either dust the sea bass filets with seasoned flour and shallow fry quickly, or blacken the fillet at high heat with a cajun seasoning- I tend to prefer the blackened style of grouper, as I think it lets the fish stand out fresh and basic. Serve it simply on a fresh bun (not bread) with lettuce, tomato, and either mayonaise,tartar sauce, or a remoulade.

One could also possibly include cheese, but I would tend to stay away from it on a fresh grouper sandwich… but if you did, I might go with a milder “white” cheese.

(*Cod or Haddock will not do!)

I like, as mentioned on another thread, peanut butter, nutella, sliced strawberries, and a little honey on a good whole-grain bread.

I also like this sandwich:

2 slices good bread
thinly sliced good quality ham
a little brie
romaine lettuce
dark grainy mustard (you want something with a little bite)

Smear the brie on one slice of bread and the mustard on the other slice. Put the ham and lettuce in the middle and enjoy.

Saute a boneless skinless chicken breast over low heat with a bit of olive oil, sprinkle with some garlic salt.

In a bowl, smush up one ripe avocado until nice and creamy. Add finely chopped red onion and cucumber (seedless preferably, and the firmer burpless type optimally.) Add a goodly amount of bottled creamy Caesar dressing (Newman’s Own is the best, IMO) to make the whole mixture into a lovely smooth spread. Add salt, pepper and dill weed to taste. Chill in the fridge for 10-20 minutes to allow the flavors to meld. Toast onion buns with a bit of butter and garlic salt. Evenly distribute a nice thick layer of the avocado mixture on each piece of bun. Slice the hot chicken breast thin and pile all over the buns.

Nom nom nom!

This is supposed to be a classic spanish sandwich, but I had in Coral Gables, Florida. It was fantastic.

8 inch section of french baguette bread
extra virgin olive oil
4 thin slices of jamon serrano (or prosciutto)
pecorino romano cheese
1 tomato
salt

Slice the baguette open and spread olive oil on both sides liberally, sprinkle both sides with salt to taste. Place the jamon serrano slices on one side of the bread and thin slices of cheese to cover the ham, thin slices of tomato to cover the cheese. Cover with other slice of bread, press down and enjoy.

You can also have done on a panini press, but if the baguette is fresh I think this step is not necessary.