I shall fly the Union Jack

Me, too. Had Earl Grey for breakfast, listened to British invasion music all day long.

And tuned into the BBC (via NPR) when I could.

Need to get a Union Jack for future solidarity displays, sad to say.

Both the Australian flag and the UK flag are flying at half-mast over the Harbour Bridge today.

Me too.

NinetyWT (and others), it’s a kind gesture, and I’d like to thank you for the spirit in which it’s meant. To be honest, though, it makes me slightly uncomfortable.

You see, as a nation, we’re not that big on flag-waving. Oh – sporting events, the Proms, moments of celebration, certainly – in times of trouble… well, not so much, really.

I’m only speaking for myself, of course, but I find myself much more in accord with Shirley Ujest’s tribute. A cup of tea and a muffin – what could be more appropriate? Not only is it a bit daft, but it’s low-key, private, and ordinary – a very British response. This is how the people of London, and Britain in general, are dealing with this: business as usual. Get on with life in the normal way, do what we would have done anyway. Terrorists don’t get to tell us what to do.

So, if I might be allowed to offer a suggestion: if anyone feels motivated to show solidarity with the people of London, but you don’t have a flag, or you don’t have anywhere to fly it, or whatever – be a bit British for a short time today. Have a cup of tea. Complain about the weather. Get drunk and have a curry. Tell jokes.

Most importantly, raise two defiant fingers to anyone who thinks they can change us one iota by blowing up people on their way to work.

––––––––––––––
Mm. Re-reading that, I’m a little surprised by myself. I meant to post a short, light comment – not an editorial. Never mind – let it stand. Perhaps these things are more important to me than I thought.

Anyway: thank you again for the gesture. It does mean something. Perhaps, after all, it is better that you show how you feel in your own way. You’re an odd bunch you Americans, but your hearts are in the right place – and that’s what counts. :slight_smile:

Never underestimate American capitalism: The local grocery had little Union Jack flags on sale by the register for $1.99. I now have one on my desk at work.

Exactly what WotNot said! :slight_smile:
We don’t really tend to go in for flag-waving all that much. I don’t possess a union flag and have to plans to acquire one, although I do see that you all intend a nice gesture.

Here, have some tea and some digestive biccies. :).

This is just so British. You’re so, so British! :smiley: :wink:

If it helps-I was going to buy a very small flag like kids wave at parades. I promise not to wave it, just display it. But I’ll crank up the Stones and the Beatles and (insert name of UK rock band here that is more current, can’t think of one but that’s my morning brain here). I can’t complain about the weather–it’s 74, sunny and not even humid here today (which is a miracle let me tell you).

But I made scones yesterday. Lovely with tea. But now I need some good British jokes…

I’m with WotNot. Tea at half-three, not flags at half-mast.

I will head off to Union Jack Fish n Chips, eat, and do some shopping in the little grocery area of the store for some HP sauce, an Aero, some shortbread cookies and some Fortnum & Masons tea!

Take that, terrorist wankers!

:wink:

And then there’s this-

These quotes (all from different people) were gathered from various emails and blogs (reposted from UnaBoard)-
To quote an old Londoner who lived through the blitz and got caught up in the Canary Wharf explosion:
“I’ve been blown up by a better class of bastard than this!”

“We took on the Romans, the Saxons, the Danes, the French, William Wallace, the Black Plague, the Roundheads, the Great Fire, Napoleon, the Nazis, and the Blitz, and we’re still here. You terrorists are bloody amateurs.”

“They did their worst, and they managed to disrupt our transport network and get fatalities in the low double figures. That happens on a fairly regular basis anyway, you twits. What’s your next trick - a fiendish weather control device which makes it rain on a bank holiday weekend?”

“The stupid buggers blew up a bus right in front of the British Medical Association, meaning there was a building full of doctors right there - I don’t call that good planning…”
I love British people! Bloody brilliant! :smiley:

You British folk seem to have your heads on straight. I was expected to wave a piece of cloth around in solidarity after 9/11. You guys are telling me I can rock out to some Sex Pistols and drink tea instead? Nice.

WotNot, editorializing or not, I thought that was a beautiful post. Speaking on behalf of a huge group of people who I really have no right to speak for, I thank you for seeing that despite our national pasttime of “being completely friggin insane”, that our hearts are often in the right place at least.

Now, does iced tea count, or is that a Heathen American Abomination?

I’m going to brew me some tea when I get home. And watch Monty Python and Blackadder, and re-read Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.

No, it doesn’t count, and yes, it’s a colonial abomination.

Wotnot is right. We don’t really go for jingoistic flag-waving as a sign of pride, solidarity and defiance. It happens, but only rarely, and mainly in connection with a major international soccer tournament… all the way up to the point where we get knocked out by a team of part-timers from a country none of us could find on a map. During last year’s European Cup, for example, the entire nation was more or less festooned with flags. Until we got knocked out.

So, yes, several other Brits here have offered good suggestions as to how you can show your solidarity with your old colonial masters and forbears.

1. Crank up that British music… Beatles, Stones… whatever. It’s our finest export and best gift to the world.

2. Have tea. This is a hot drink and you dunk biscuits. Biscuits are what you call cookies. But call them biscuits for today. Ones with at least a layer of chocolate on are preferred.

3. Do not eat ‘English muffins’. We don’t. It’s just a marketing ploy, and Brits visiting the US and seeing TV ads for ‘English muffins’ for the first time are rather puzzled. We sure as hell don’t eat them for breakfast.

4. Moan about something in an indulgent, world-weary, putting-the-world-to-rights sort of way. It can be anything - the weather, the economy, the young people of today, soccer tournaments - anything at all, so long as you indulge in a darn good moan about it. This is our national pastime and it’s what we do best. Anyone introducing any element of ‘feelgood’ factor is not playing along and should be asked to leave. Politely.

5. After the tea, go to a bar but call it a pub. If male, drink pints of beer. If female, drink white wine. Drink a bit more than you really should. When in the ‘pub’, start off by moaning about things as before, but then gradually allow the mood to degenerate into one that is happy, cheerful, silly and giggly. Make personal and offensive jokes about each other, reminisce about stupid TV shows you enjoyed as a kid, have loud (but good natured) arguments about trivia (e.g. why Star Wars is crap) and, whatever else, keep the chat going thick and fast and keep drinking.

Terrorism? Yeah, right, we give in to terrorists all the time… not.

We bloody do.

But you call them scones. And we call digestive biscuits Graham crackers.

No, we call them muffins. Scones are what you call biscuits. For some reason, you don’t seem to have pikelets at all – and that’s a damned shame.

Off now for a stottie cake.

Og Bless Capitalism!

Right, in that case it’s Graham crackers that you should be dunking in your tea. :slight_smile:

Hell yeah!

I put on some Clash in the car this morning.

Damn I feel better!

Me? I’m having a Sir Elton day. After that … the Who … Clapton … :slight_smile:

I tried to sing this earlier- I think there is no copyright as it is so old :

K-K-K-Katy

Jimmy was a soldier brave and bold,
Katy was a maid with hair of gold,
Like an act of fate,
Kate was standing at the gate,
Watching all the boys while on parade.
Kate smiled, with a twinkle in her eye,
Jim said, m-m-m-meet ya by and by.
That night at eight,