I think I just shamed someone into deleting a dumb Facebook status

Yeah, I see a lot of those.

I had someone post this whole thing about how it’s a shame kids can’t say the pledge in school anymore.

I responded, “My kids say the pledge every single day first hour.”

She was blown away that this could be happening in any public school in America. And we’re not even a “conservative” district or anything.

I won’t change my status for fights against cancer, autistic children or whatever the flavour may be. Everyone I know is well aware of this and repeating the posts achieves nothing that I can see.

However I did post this as my staus the other day:

WARNING!! As of today, Facebook will automatically start dragging the Earth into the Sun. To change this option, go to Settings > Planetary Settings > Trajectory then UNCLICK the box that says ‘Apocalypse.’ Facebook kept this one very quiet. Copy and paste onto your status for absolutely no good reason whatsoever.

I had one lady in my stream challenge us Atheist to “Type it out loud for the whole world to see” if we don’t believe in god. She even dared us to do so. She was like: " Go ahead, do it! I bet you wont!"

I did as requested. It makes me laugh tho’. I don’t know why she thought we would be too scared to put our non belief in writing. :rolleyes::smiley:

The latest Facebook meme I’ve been seeing is “Can You Give This To My Daddy?”

It has a somewhat glurgy story about a girl asking a soldier in the airport on his way to the mid-east to give her dad (a deployed soldier) something (a hug). It’s a great story, I recommend you look it up. The thing is, the actual reason for the whole thing is it’s for one of those things where you support your troops by wearing a red shirt on Friday. I’m pretty sure I saw this exact same thing back in 2003 when I was in college. In fact, I want to say Shortpacked! devoted a comic to mocking the whole concept.

Oh, and the Gas out thing. I responded to that one by saying that the oil companies don’t particularly care if you wait a week to buy gas from them, if you’re going to buy it anyways. Of course, technically, I should have said I WAS attending it, since I WON’T be buying any gas that week. I don’t own a car. :smack::smiley:

In general though, if anyone on my Friend’s list is bad about it, it’s my mother in law with her Anti-Obama chain forwards. The bad thing is, she just doesn’t seem to read what she reposts, and at one point forwarded an article from a tabloid magazine that referenced Batboy (half boy, half bat) as being part of President Obama’s security detail during his visit to India.

I don’t unfriend her because most of the time she just posts about her daily routine or about things that are either of interest to me or at least as innocuous as anything else on Facebook. I have gone back and forth with her from time to time about various issues. She really is a nice lady, she just has a few wacky political viewpoints.

I had a facebook friend who’s having a REALLY difficult time lately post a bunch of really bad status updates directed at her teenaged son (I think he’s 11 or 12) along the lines of:
‘Don’t think you can ignore me and get away with it!’ and then
‘I’m going to post all of your humiliating secrets on here if you don’t start respecting me!’
‘Remember I know all your worst secrets!’

etc. Remember, this is the mother of a 12 year old boy posting on her page that his friends can see.

I replied “Well, this seems like a mistake…”

The updates were gone about a minute later. I don’t know if she thought about what she was doing, saw my post and thought about it, or realized she was making herself look really bad, but regardless, the posts came down. Thank god - poor kid

I love my wife, but she is one of those who is scared of what to do when she gets these emails (on one hand is the husband she loves telling her it’s a crock of shit and he deletes those without a second thought when he gets them, on the other hand it’s an email from a random person saying that something bad will happen if she doesn’t (or something good will if she does). What to do??? Oh noes!!!) This is why, at her specific request, I often log in to her email and delete the glurge and other chain forwards before she has a chance to read it.

(She seems to have compromised though, if she manages to get to the chain letter before I can delete it, she does forward it, thereby doing what the email told her to do, but only to me (where I promptly delete it))

I have occasionally updated my status to say “Stop telling me what to post as my status! What the hell is the point of facebook if everyone’s status updates say the same thing? Save facebook from the hivemind!!! Repost if you agree. 97.3824% won’t, WILL YOU!!!”

I ignore chain e-mails and seldom send them all my friends. On facebook I think I have only reposted a few things.Some I would like to but not with the tag line. The ones that I have have been information that I want my friends to recieve or pass around.

I tend to react to most religious FB posts with a big ass :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: at least internally. I tend not to be friends with super-fundies, but the occasional former classmate or whatnot will post a lightly religious post that I don’t mind. I have one Aunt that became randomly super religious and posts religious things every day, but I just ignore them.

This one seems fairly harmless. They might not even really understand the concept of government/school not being able to recognize one particular religion over the others, because they don’t really comprehend that other religious ideas exist, even though they are aware of them as a vague concept.

I tend to ignore all super-religious posts if they are well intentioned and not hateful. The only ones I’d bother to respond to are one that use religion to be hateful.

Silver Fire likes this.

My sainted daughter allowed me to steal that from her.