I think I just shamed someone into deleting a dumb Facebook status

Yeah, this is kind of petty, but with the unrelenting stream of irrational garbage that flows through Facebook, and the number of times you just bite your tongue and silently facepalm over something because it would be impolitic to comment, this felt good.

A step-relative I’m very slightly acquainted with posted this:

There are a lot of problems with this, but in the end I decided to post something as factual and bland, yet also taking it down to some degree: “Kids can pray in school any time they want, for the record.”

And, wonder of wonders, the whole post had disappeared five minutes later! Dare I hope that she looked at the drivel she had unthinkingly reposted, and decided it was pretty dumb?

Someone in my stream posted that. I was tempted to write something, but it really wasn’t worth it.

I am a conservative, Catholic that believes in the right to own guns and that abortion is wrong… But I CAN’T STAND Facebook posts and chain letters that end with statements like “Ropost this If you believe in God or delete it if you don’t.” What I’m more amazed is how many people repost it (or resend it to 10 of their friends).

Somehow, despite having lots of Facebook friends, I have managed to miss out on the glurgy updates everyone else seems to complain about. Of course, I’ve probably jinxed myself by posting this and will now get nothing but Chick tracts and bible quotes from here on out.

If you’re barely even acquainted with her, why be Facebook friends with her at all?

Someone I know posted that the other day. She’s a professional contact, so I ignored it.

My brother posted this yesterday:

╔══════════════ ೋღ<ღೋ ══════════════╗
☼ -----If you are really awesome, put this as your status -----☼
╚══════════════ ೋღ<ღೋ ══════════════╝

I thought it was funny.

I was worried about what I was going to see here, but good for you for responding accurately without being a jerk about it. I don’t like these kinds of posts - I’ve repeated them once or twice (when they’re related to cancer) but usually I don’t bother. When I’ve copied them, I’ve cut off the lines about ‘most people don’t care enough to re-post this’ or ‘re-post if you believe in fluffy bunnies’ and that kind of nonsense. It’s passive aggressive and makes the whole thing even worse.

I agree. The repost part is always the part I find so annoying. The Christian glurge itself doesn’t bother me so much because I’m inoculated to it. And I don’t really see the Obama hate from anyone I would consider a friend. If I see it at all, it’s because they are reposting what someone else said without thinking critically, just because the post told them to.

Still, it’s better than the people who actually seem to believe that the guy they love will kiss them at midnight if they pass a message on, or that actually fear that not passing it on will ruin any chance they have to find their true love. Not even the biggest woo-lovers believe that crap.

Do you post this as a reply to her status (or on her wall) or as your own status? I’m just thinking that someone that would post (err RE-post) something like that would more then likely not connect your statement with hers unless yours were unmistakeably directed at her. Even then, I think a lot of those are done so mindlessly, they don’t even realize what they posted, they’re just more interested in getting their $100 coupon to Chili’s or not getting cancer or making sure everyone likes them etc…

I posted it as a reply to her status, so it was very clear what I was responding to. And to her credit, she took her status down. Perhaps she loves the Lord and as people are saying, just slapped the thing up there without really thinking about it, and when the inaccuracy was called to her attention, she realized it wasn’t something she wanted to trumpet.

I’m friends with her because we’re somewhat related and she sent me a request. I wouldn’t have gone out of my way to befriend her, but since she asked I said yes.

She might not have planned to leave it as her status for long, anyway. It’s conceivable that she received it from friends and posted it to show friendly, with the plan to revert to her regular status soon.

But that doesn’t delete your previous status unless you go out of your way to do so. It sounds like she took it down after reconsidering the wisdom of posting it.

I have enough problems with my relationship with God without these lamebrained things trying to make me feel guilty for not reposting.

Another explanation is that she left the status up, but blocked you from seeing it – just takes a few mouse-clicks.

Not that you should be upset over that. She did you a favor if that’s the case. But then you don’t have the satisfaction of making her see the error of her ways with your logic.

Personally, I don’t ever bother responding to crap like that. My “ignore” list is growing all the time!

One of my cousins posted this recently. I usually just hide that particular post, since for some reason they seem to keep climbing back to the top of my feed, even with nobody “liking” or commenting on it.

Yeah, you might want to check if she just defriended you instead.

I’m friends with a guy on Facebook that posts all sorts of stuff about Ron Paul, how public school teachers suck, how bad “government” is, etc. If anyone replies to one of his status updates in an even slightly disagreeing way, he deletes the status. It drives me crazy. I don’t know if he’s embarrassed about his views or if he’s too insecure in his beliefs to back them up or what, but it’s lame.

Jesus must hate me because I never pass along those dumb chain letters either.

I don’t think you can do that after you’ve posted a status. I really wanted to the one time I posted a status laden with innuendo and forgot to hide it from the under-18s.

I ended up being unfriended for gently challenging a similar person. We weren’t really friends 25 years ago in high school. I don’t know why he asked me to befriend him now.