I think I'll spend my $14.95 elsewhere...

I thought so.

Hmmmmm, natural blonde here, who suffers from associated ditzy spells, and even I can figure out the rules and regs here, which really aren’t that different than the boards I’ve visited.

I mean, it’s a huge board, lots of different forums, a TON of members. Why is this so difficult to understand?

I have seen this solved on some boards: A post may be edited any number of times, but the history of each edit is available via a link at the bottom of the post. Other posters can view each original un-edited version. This means that people can edit for clarity, typos or fact corrections, but attempting to change a post’s entire tone or content or cover up something unflattering is useless as the original is just a click away.

I have no doubt, however, that the mods at this board are aware of such systems and have considered them. Implementing such a system would likely be more trouble than it’s worth; as it is, people seem to do just fine by appending their posts with additional posts.

I thought about that as soon as the “paying to register” thing was announced. I expected a collapse of the number of posters, no new blood joining in, and as a result, a slow agony of this board.

But apparrently, there are still new people signing up. So, it seems I was wrong.

I don’t have a clue

Quoting doesn’t prove anything. You could type anything in the quote box, or edit the quote in any way you please.

There are so many rules on this board because there are so many members, and so many jerks who would abuse the simple “don’t be a jerk” rule if things weren’t spelled out more specifically. Membership has more than doubled since I joined, and I’ve seen several new rules be created because of situations with members being jerks. New rules I’ve seen made include the ban on wishing death on people, making misquoting someone a bannable offense, and banning mods and admins from pitting other members. At the time that each rule was made, the admins didn’t seem to have much choice: they had to make them to keep the peace. All these rules stem from a perhaps vain attempt to keep all these 1000s of people civil and happy.

note: I am not a mod

AHA!
:stuck_out_tongue:

Yaaaayyy!!! :smiley: FUN!!!

We’ll try to go on without you, and just make do paying for a board that attracts so many intelligent members it requires policies about bumping old threads and editing posts and searching and moderator influence just in order to function! :wink: HOORAY!!! :smiley:

Geez, what is this? The Long Goodbye?

Do you mean the 1973 version with Elliot Gould?

I’m glad that you’re trying to state an opinion about the board, and this is the correct forum for it. It doesn’t seem like you’re trying to start a fight. I disagree with your opinion, but it takes all kinds.

This board is a fairly stable community and the members have long memories. I can’t count the number of nutjobs, trolls, and well-intentioned but painfully immature twits who have started PIT threads along the lines of “Your rules SUCK!!! I hate the stupid mods!!! I’m going somewhere else!!!”. After this, these people usually do not go somewhere else, but remain persistent annoyances until banned.

You can see how, after repeated exposure to these events, people tend to be dismissive of a thread like yours, even if you are simply stating your intentions and your reasons. Please don’t take it personally.

In response to your OP, I like the aggressive moderation, it cuts down on the idiots. I also like the “no edit” settings. I think keeping posters honest is important, but that fixing typos is not. Typos are generally overlooked and sometimes funny. And if you get your facts wrong, and want to change that later, I want to know about it.

I do think that the guest period should be longer.

mischievous

Oh, and I see absolutely nothing wrong with a Guest who finds themselves unsatisfied with the board’s atmosphere/rules posting about some things they think could be changed to better the board. I think Principessa’s problem is with the smug and rather obnoxious tone afforded towards the end of her post. The OP would really have benefitted from a trimming of the second paragraph; it only serves to make her look bad and irritate the natives.

Shame about that missing edit feature. :wink:

afforded = adopted
benefitted = benefited
and hell knows what else :smack: :smack: :smack:

And so the Irony Gods threw down their bolts, gleefully

You’ll forgive us if we don’t wax poetic over our loss or shed copious tears. You’ve been a “guest” here for 14 days and made 12 posts (as of this moment when I checked your profile). Three in this thread alone, complaining about the SDMB. The nine others include five posts complaining about your inability to search, and two in an ancient thread you dredged up.

That’s 8 out of 12.

As CanvasShoes said, the rules are not difficult to follow. Thousands of members have made thousands of posts without managing to either break the rules or constantly complain.

FB

The one thing of value that I can take from this post, is that insults and accusations gets you nowhere.

Organized, peacefull, opposition might be a better way to solve things.

Upon saying that, the mods and admins suddenly seem more like the gestapo, they’d never take a vote from the subscribers! Who made me think that there’s an agenda here? I’m not a traitor!

After I take my eight o’clock dose, you guys will heear about the waaaay tht thre tryng to cnnntrol ussssssssssss…

:: ETF strides out onto the balcony, bouffant hairdo tangling in the breeze, manure from mucking stalls still stuck to her stiletto heels ::

Don’t cry for poor Principessa
The truth is, she never fit in
All through her goodbyes
Her Straight Dope put-downs
She kept on boring us
Don’t waste more time with her

Who is Number One?

You are, number six.

Be seeing you.

[gets in car and drives away…]

[presses a button for Rover to fetch]

I paid the dicounted rate but I tend to agree with the OP.

This is a really anal board. Anal and egotistical for a board that seems largely liberal.

Another thing is this “don’t let the door hit you in the ass” attitude. I think it’s dangerous, stupid and exclusionary. I welcome other peoples opinions, which is good because I’m sure I’ll get just that.

People who are already members of this exclusive e-society are offended by any percieved attack and take personal offense to any “outsider” who questions them.

I’m sure some might say “well, then whay are you here then!”
My answer is…none of your fucking business.