I think Netflix thinks I'm a criminal

Nonsense. Since it isn’t sent via registered mail, Netflix has no proof that you received it. The only one taking a risk is Netflix.

Do you have a cite for that? That the customer paying for lost DVD’s that can’t be tracked via regular mail is part of Netflix’s business model? Every time this comes up, people say that Netflix eats the cost. If you lose too many of them, then you’re no longer part of their business model, because they close your account entirely.

Unless you meant that sort of amorphous “we’re all paying higher prices to pay for shoplifters’ theft” sort of paying. That, I’ll buy. I’m sure Netflix monthly rates are set taking into account a certain amount of shrink that needs to be covered. But I doubt registered mail would allow them to reduce their rates, since that registered mail would cost more than the current mail by a lot.

Me:

Risk means you may have to pay to continue renting.

To continue after they say you lose to many movies they will want money so you can get more movies. They won’t forgive lost movies forever. Being permanently banned because you have a dispute doesn’t really get you future movies does it.

Well, from talking to the guy it seemed kind of like you’d really have to be stealing movies or live WAY in the ghetto for them to permanently close your account. And I’ve never heard anybody whining that they got shut down for too many lost movies, either - and that’s the kind of thing people bitch and moan about constantly on the internet.

Sorry, I must be really thick today. Still not getting it. If you lose too many movies, they put a hold on your account, and then take it off after you talk with them. No more money.

Right…but they close your account. No more money. You can’t open another account, and even if you could, you’d just be paying the regular amount for a regular account, you wouldn’t be paying more because you’d no longer be paying on the old closed account.

Well no. But it doesn’t cost you more money, either.

It sounds to me like you’re saying Netflix makes you pay for movies you (or the mail) loses, or makes you pay to reinstate your account if it’s put on hold. Is that what you’re saying?

We had problems with broken DVDs on more than one occasion. As you said, we’d send one back and get another broken copy, sometimes several times in a row. We eventually learned that some copies which are reported defective get put back into circulation. I guess it depends on how broken they are? Maybe DVD players have different levels of sensitivity? We suspect that at least once, we got back the same defective disk that we’d returned (it was skipping in the same place or some such). As a result, we learned that the best thing to do is report the broken disk and hold on to it until we get a working one.

WhyNot I was trying to say what they could do to you if they decided to. I don’t believe they have added the we will not charge you for lost DVD’s to their contract. A policy of not charging you, means they can decide to if they want to. A contract they have to stick to. This is what I was trying to say. I’m sorry if it hasn’t come across as that. Anybody that wishes to find the clause where it releases you from any obligation for lost DVDs is welcome to post it. It’s not important to me, but it then verifies you will never have to worry about reimbursing for a lost DVD, and can disprove what I think is correct.

I got three phonebooks last year too. One from AT&T, one from another outfit releasing phonebooks, and one that’s nothing but advertisements. The only thing that i found amusing about it was that my cats would sleep on the phonebooks.