I want a skypod, please

My family and I live in Africa - near the Congo River. We were in the US this summer on vacation and rented cars with satellite radio. I fell in love with satellite radio because:

• great music/talk etc, - variety of good stuff
  • no commericals
  • basically good reception [Detroit, LA, Atlanta and Florida],
  • didn’t have to search for decent stations, no fade-outs
  • No commercials
  • Reminds me of the good old days when FM music stations were great to listen to and not just a repeat of AM stations
  • Name and song identified
  • ah, did I say no commercials

Then I saw portable satellite radios that you can take along with you when you are out and about as well as at home. Sigh…

Returning home: back to ipod which is ok, but I’m stuck with my music. It’s hard to hear new artists, recordings etc.

I just read an article in Scientific American August issue about portable satradios. I’m sad because there isn’t anything like that here even though I understand that the sat network is located in the southern hemisphere.

What are the chances of getting this service in Africa? Is there sat radio in Europe and elsewhere. I’m green with envy, but I am also a very patient person and can wait a few weeks…or months…or, gasp, years.

Anyone know how fast this service could go to replace shortwave?

Here is a link to a company that makes an AM/FM/Shortwave/Satellite Ready radio. I don’t know if this radio will do the trick if you are in Africa.

You can already get XM Radio over the internet.