I want to propose with a hybrid image!

I am getting ready to propose to my girlfriend.

I want somebody to create a hybrid image that I can blow up and put on a poster board, set it up in Starbucks and it will seem like a normal poster but it will say my proposal on it! Who can help me??!!!

Well i work at Starbucks and can tell you that you MIGHT have a problem with this. They should Allow you, and probably WILL but we have had someone ask a similar question to us and the shift superviser at the time did not allow him to put it up. He wanted to put up a drawing she mad when she was little and show her he kept it for like 30 years or something. And what do you mean by hybridge image?

By the way, my question is whether anyone knows a company that could help me. I don’t anticipate that anyone on this site could create an image for me.

FYI, a hybrid image is an image that is made of two superimposed images which have been filtered to block different wavelengths of light to produce an image that looks like one thing up close and another from afar.

A bit of googling, and it looks like there’s some pretty trippy math involved.

This PDF explains, but no leads on where you can have this done. Doesn’t sound like it’s been condensed into a Photoshop plugin just yet.

That is amazing!!! I must send it on…

I think that could be done without a plugin… blur the one image, edge-detect the other, and multiply. Hmm… let me do some playing around with The GIMP.

Actually, it’s not wavelengths of light; it’s different “spatial frequencies” in the images. One image has tiny details only; the other has blurry swaths of colour only. Both details and swaths can be any colour. You then superimpose them.

And what do you mean that no-one on this site could do it? This is the SDMB! We have more image geeks per square centimetre than anywhere else short of Adobe and the GIMP organisation! That sounds like a challenge to me!

Edit after the edit time limit passed:

Actually, it’s not wavelengths of light (i.e., colours); it’s different “spatial frequencies” in the images. One image has tiny details only; the other has blurry swaths of non-detail only. Both details and swaths can be any colour. You then superimpose them.

Oh, and congratulations on the proposal. :slight_smile: (Just doing it, I mean; a ‘yes’ response will mean more congratulations…)

That’s not different wavelengths of light; that’s different wavelengths of the variation across the image. And it could be done fairly easily by anyone with knowledge of Fourier series and access to decent image manipulation software. But I think the images to be merged would have to be fairly similar to each other: Converting one block of text to another block of text is probably outside the range of possibility.

Not bad for a first attempt.

Your first attempt is better than my first attempt. I think the edge-detect filter is tuned too high. Let’s see what else there is.

You should be using a Gaussian filter. Here is how I did mine in GIMP:

First image (long range viewable):

Filters->Blur->Gaussian Blur

I used 10x10, but if you want the change over point to be further away you should use a bigger number.

Second image (close range):

Filters->Blur->Gaussian Blur

I used 10x10 again, but it doesn’t necessarily have to be the same.

Copy the image and paste it as a new layer. Then on either layer:

Layers->color->invert

Set the top transparency to 50%.

I flattened this image and then copy/pasted it into the first image. Set the transparency of the top layer to 50% again and you have your image.

As to the OP, you are going to have to have very similar pictures for this to work. What did you have in mind?

Posts 4-13 are kind of gibberish to me. But, Fuel, a graphic designer should be able to do what you want. We use litigation support companies to create graphics for hearings and trials, and they have artists who can do pretty much anything. But I don’t think you want to call a litigation support company (and they probably wouldn’t take on such a small job). So I’d recommend art schools, including ones that offer graphic art/design – call them and see if someone there can do it.

I have to admit I’m pretty vague on how it gets done. During trial, I go tell the artist what I want it to look like, and he comes back with some magic something that works (or doesn’t, and we tweak it until I’m happy).

Good luck with the proposal!

It’s a cool effect. Basically what is happening is that the lines of the close image sharpened while everything else in that image is grayed out and reduced in intensity. The far image is turned blurry, and the sharpness of it’s lines reduced. When you are up close your brain sees the sharp lines of the close picture against the blurriness of the far picture. It ignores the blurry image and shows the more well defined image. As you move furtherr away the close up image is more difficult to see, while the blurriness of the far image becomes less pronounced. When you get far enough away your brain puts the blurry image together, and ignores the close up one.

How the heck are you doing a high-pass details-only filter with Gaussian Blur?

Didn’t I say exactly what I did?

No, actually, you didn’t. You gave exactly the same instructions for the short and long range filters. Presumably, there’s some other parameter to the Gaussian blur you forgot to specify.

Well, here is what I want:

I picture of a cute little frog or toad. It looks like some sort of advertisement for wart removers or something (be creative)!

But, imbedded in the image are the words, “Will You Marry Me?”

I know nothing about this type of skill, but intuitively, this sounds VERY hard to achieve a really good look, something not cheesy. Who wants to help me???

I will reserve a spot in Starbucks or Barnes & Noble with a stand-alone poster board or a hanging poster.

This is all to achieve that extreme look of suprise on her face AND to have a memorial of it.

So you want the frog in the distance, and then the text close up?