I worry about people working in Health Care today.

All it takes is the smallest slip in concentration. Especially when taking off the protective gear. I worry about the health care providers today.

M y mom got her RN in 1952 and worked in pediatrics. Then trained in Anesthesia at the Cincinnati Burn Center to get her CRNA in the mid 60’s. She gave General Anesthesia until the late 90’s. Did years of locum tenens work at various hospitals in my state and Louisiana. Finished up her career from 98 until 06 working with an Ophthalmologist doing eye surgeries. She would have worked a couple more years but the local hospital wanted her to take call for general Anesthesia . She’d had her fill of that after over 50 years in the medical field. She was ready to retire.

My mom dealt with her share of infectious patients. AIDS, hepatitis etc. She knows the protocols and risks. Accidental needle sticks through a glove can be all it takes. Thankfully my mom got through her career ok.

Ebola adds a whole new dimension to health care providers jobs. They deserve a lot of credit for being there when needed.

Healthcare providers have always put themselves in the middle of whatever sickness soup is out there. (FWIW, so do teachers.)

I remember when putting on gloves before *any *patient contact came in – I’d started working as a CNA in the mid-80s. The first year, we didn’t glove up for every patient contact. Within a year, we all were.

Health care providers never know who will walk in the door or get wheeled in on a gurney. My mom always worried about blood spatter during surgery. Orthopedic surgery that requires grinding or cutting bone can be messy. Face shields are a must these days.

Thomas Eric Duncan just walked into the ER. No one working there had any idea what they were risking by working that day.

It is hard to be a doctor or nurse today with such a shortage of doctors and nurses today.

I have been to hospital many times. And one thing is nothing like you see in the movies. I would pick being sick at home than being in the hospital for one day.And Hollywood lies to us.

In the real world hospitals are a assembly line yes a assembly line and seeing a doctor in 6 hours spending one minute with you is on good days work.And I know so many people gone to ER and spend 8 to 10 hours to they see a doctors.

And at are hospital we have normally one to two doctors working the ER on average 20 to 40 people. Yes that is right.You go to ER at night you will see 20 to 40 people in waiting room.And than there is other room you don’t see with more people. All but one normally one to two doctors.By early hours it is one doctor.

A nurses gave us little hit :eek::slight_smile: saying best to come before 9:00 PM saying lot people think going to the ER at night be less wait time not the case.And if you come at 11PM you will not leave the hospital to morning being 8:00AM

Every time I gone to ER or seeing other people in hospital!! I feel like kissing the ground that I don’t have to spend day or two in ER!!

Now I’m off to watching how lovely hospitals are in are movie.

I guess world is way over do a major epidemic before politicians start to take healthcare serious. I know many nurses who break out in tears because of lack of money ,shortage of doctors and nurses.And the horrible evil hospital administration.

And on the side note I have read many reports the western world is not ready for epidemic.

I don’t think any part of the world is ready for a true epidemic.

It’s a little bit early to be thinking that Ebola is going to suddenly cast us into a whole new era of terror-based medical lifestyle, ending the 5,000 years of civilization as we have come to know it…

The problem is the extreme amount of concentration required when working with an Ebola patient. You have to do everything exactly right every single time. It’s a bit like walking a tight rope 200 feet off the ground. You’re fine if you remember your training and never, ever take a wrong step.

Realistically, humans will make mistakes. Which explains why several doctors caught Ebola in Africa. Two nurses in Western Hospitals caught it. Nobody can work around these patients constantly without eventually making a mistake. The more patients that require care the greater the chance of a caregiver error.