Identify this picture book--pirate dream ship

I don’t think I’ve ever yet posted one of these threads, but this is absolutely driving me crazy. I’ve googled with all sorts of key words–don’t know if I’m just forgetting some crucial detail or what, but I’ve had no luck.

My memory of this book is very fuzzy, I must warn you, but this is what I remember:

• Beautiful watercolor-esque illustrations, very detailed and rather old-fashioned
  • A boy takes a ride on a ship, possibly a pirate ship, possibly in a dream or at night in some way
  • For some reason I remember lots of pictures of food

I was born in 1985 and I must have been quite young when I read it. I feel as though it was probably already an old book, but I might be wrong. It had an old-fashioned feel, though.

I’m pretty sure it’s not the book “Ship of Dreams,” by Dean Morrissey. Published too late and I don’t remember anything about a red wagon. The illustrations don’t look right either. I think they were actually sailing on the sea, too.

Any ideas? I found another thread on a different board where someone was searching for what might have been the same book and got no replies… but the SDMB has never failed me yet!

Where the Wild Things Are?