My friend went on vacation in Cape Cod this summer. Stayed in an old house on the beach. In every room in the house, high on the wall in the corner, was this weird thing.
- Round thing, shaped like a smoke alarm
- Made of plastic
- Inside is a retractable string, which extends to about 6 feet
- The string comes out the bottom
- Found in all bedrooms, some hallways. Not in the kitchen, main living area, bathrooms, etc.
- Always found in a corner and near the ceiling.
It is NOT a clothes line, like you’d find in a hotel. The position of the thing would make it too high and too far away from any other wall that might have a receptical for the other end of the string. Plus, the hotel clothes lines are smaller and the string comes out the middle.
No one, out of a large group of people staying at the house, could figure out what it is. If Dopers don’t know…they might call the house rental people and see if they know.