If God answers medical prayers, then why do you need health insurance?

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/god6.htm

If God answers medical prayers, then why do you need health insurance?

Simply think it through. If what Jesus says about prayer in the Bible is true, and if all the stories about medical miracles in inspirational literature are true, and if the cure of Jeanna Giese is true, and if your belief in God and the power of prayer is true, and if God has a plan for you, then why do you ever need to visit a doctor or go to the hospital? Why don’t you simply pray for a cure whenever you get sick? In fact, why not pray peremptorily every day – “Dear God, I have faith that you will protect me from all illnesses today, Amen” – and go through your life completely healthy?

(Jeanna Giese was posed to be a “Miracle cure”)

Jake

The Lord Works In Mysterious Ways

Duh.

The simple fact is that that doesn’t work, and the vast majority of religious people know it doesn’t work.

It’s kind of like how they still bother to get jobs and support themselves rather than just praying for everything. Deep down, they know that this religious stuff doesn’t work and therefore don’t rely on it whenever it really matters for their own well-being. They may have overactive imaginations and overblown credulity but they’re generally not stupid - at least not to the level of completely screwing themselves over.

Of course, that is what Christian Scientists think.

I don’t think you have a leg to stand on in this debate.

Yeah! And way does God allow poverty and hunger to exist, too? Betcha can’t get out of this one, Christians!

Why does anything exist? Take that, silly atheists!:stuck_out_tongue:

“God helps those who help themselves.”

Or else that one old joke: “I sent you a truck, a boat, and a helicopter! What more did you want???”

Damn! And two thousand years without anyone thinking to ask that was a pretty good run, too.

From your mouth to some candidate’s ears.

I suspect you have just voice the next Health Care policy to be presented.

Gosh, some people are never satisfied. God grants you a miraculous cure for your cancer, and you want Him to pay the hospital bills as well?

What does Aesop have to do with this?

For whatever hearsay anecdotes are worth, the Christian Science Church provides its employees the lowest coverage allowed by law.

Because God’s already answered those prayers…he inspired people to become doctors and researchers who have created the ‘miracle cure.’ You need to go to the doctor to get it, but there you go.

Reminds me of the joke where the guy prayed to God during a flood and turned away two boats and a helicopter saying “God will save me.” The man dies, goes to heaven, and asks God why he didn’t save him. God says “What do you mean? I sent you two boats and a helicopter!”

I’ve never liked the “I sent you a truck, a boat, and a helicopter!” thing. It always bugged me.

First, I always thought it demeaned the people who actually came in the truck, the boat, and the helicopter. These people are out busting ass helping flood victims, but no, it’s really god who sent them. Good thing god was on the case, someone might have gotten hurt.

Second, wasn’t it also god who sent the flood in the first place? And if he didn’t send it, why didn’t he just stop it so that people have to be rescued? Why give god the credit and not the blame?

A coworker of mine is praying that we’ll get more customers. I wonder…how does God prioritize “our” request compared to the pleas of other people?

Have a heart, God–we don’t want to lose our jobs!

Yeah, he’d better handoff the topic to someone better armed.

:stuck_out_tongue: Religion <--------------------------------------------------------------> Logic :dubious:

:confused: Belief --------------------------------------------------------------> Knowledge :mad:

:frowning: Heffalumps <--------------------------------------------------------------> Woozles :eek: