If someone asked for "the first three Star Wars movies," you'd assume...

Inspired by this story.

At first I thought this seemed clear cut, but then I realized it might be trickier than I thought, given the different kinds of people out there.

What do you think?

Since the first three I saw were 4, 5, and 6, those are the ones I’d say. And when I first saw episode 4, it didn’t have an episode number or title. It was simply called “Star Wars.”

Now get your bantha out of my landspeeder parking area.

Whenever I type “the first three --” I stop and rewrite it as “original trilogy” for just this disambiguation.

I’d assume they wanted Episodes 4-6. It’s better to err on the side of giving them the good movies.

I still refer to episode IV as Star Wars.

Well strictly speaking the first three movies are in order, A New Hope, Holiday Special and Empire Strikes Back

I’d assume that the speaker doesn’t care about clarity when they talk. The established convention is to refer to “the original trilogy” and “the prequels”.

They were the first that came out chronologically, so it’s 4-6 for me

I saw 4, 5 and 6 when they were originally released in theaters, so those are the first three. I like how GuanoLad put it:

I would assume they meant the original trilogy but I could see the confusion.

I can see the confusion too. When I wrote that 4, 5, and 6 are the first three, I meant to include that they are, to me.

I, like everyone else so far, would assume the order in which they were released. So its 4, 5, and 6.

If they said first three episodes vice movies it would be obvious. I would, as above, say 4,5,6 as I saw them first when they came out in theatres.

That’s not a story. It’s barely a thought.

And ep 4-6.

I guess it would depend on their age. I would go by the Barney Stinson formula a bit. I really would not expect my teenage kids to say episode 4. I really should work on that.

Some kids growing up today see them in episode order starting with I (blasphemy, I know). So I might expect teens and younger to think the first three are I-III, and anyone older to mean IV-VI. I’d still ask for clarification with anyone.

Indeed. Btw, this also applies to the Chronicles of Narnia - it’s release order not chronological order!! :mad:

Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi
those are the only three movies there are

Just to turn it around and look at it from the other direction:

Suppose you actually wanted to ask for episodes 1, 2 and 3, how would you phrase that without using the long winded “episodes 1, 2 and 3” and assuming you didn’t use the phrase “the prequels”?

There’s no other way apart from asking for “the first three”.

Chronologically they are the first three so it’s completely correct.

Anyone who asks the question that badly deserves episodes I-III