If the customers aren't really lying...

My personal favorites were the WIC customers. For those who don’t know WIC (women infants and children) provides cereal, eggs, milk, cheese, formula and juice to people under a certain income level with children under a certain age.

You are given a pamphlet with the list of approved items. Sugared cereal is no where on this list and they insist that the last time they were in or the store across town let them have cocoa puffs!

That’s nice I’m not losing my job to give your kid a sugar rush on food my taxes pay for lady! Many times upon being denied these customers would miraculously become unable to speak or understand English. :rolleyes:

Tanookie, do you use vouchers for WIC where you are from? Here in VT they do doorstep delivery…and if you’re not home and didn’t have a cooler to leave out, too bad if your milk turns. My sister had WIC.

Gravity,

Here in Mass they do vouchers for WIC. Everyone gets a packet with the allowable foods and the vouchers can only be used during the specified dates. It’s a good idea so people actually get healthy food but too many people just sell the formula and try and cheat the system :frowning:

Even though we don’t carry that brand of orange juice you’re trying to return, we’re such inhospitable assholes for not giving you money for it.

Qwisp,
I normally didn’t expect people to tip me when I worked at a coffee shop. However, to clear a couple of things up. We did every thing. The people at the register also made the drinks, cleaned the eating area and did the dishes. I only expected a tip when the customer made a huge, and I do mean huge mess or came in after we closed (we had this stupid policy were we had to keep out doors open for 10 min after we closed and when people came in we said yes we are closed but what can I make you). General things like that. That’s why I said and not tip because I found that 80% of the time when they knew you were doing them a favor such as making them a drink after we were closed, they didn’t tip. I didn’t expect a big tip, just like 50 cents or something. It’s a nice way to say, thank you for going out of your way to make me happy.

I’ve never had the pleasure of working retail, so I’ll have to pass on some tidbits from the other side of the phone when our ever loyal and always thoughtful viewers call in to complain:

No sir, that show is on the OTHER network, we don’t carry it. I’m sorry that it’s not on anymore, but I can’t help you, we don’t carry it. No sir, we NEVER carried it - it was on the OTHER network. Yes sir, I realize it’s not on ANYMORE - they cancelled it. No sir, I still can’t help, it WASN’T OUR SHOW TO BEGIN WITH AND WE NEVER RAN IT. Yes, sir, I’m sure our advertisers will want to hear all about your boycott.

No m’am, I don’t know why you don’t get our station this morning when it came in clearly last night. No, we have not shut off the transmitter. You’re grandkids were playing Nintendo on the TV? - And now we don’t come in anymore? Are any OTHER stations coming in? No? Have you shut off the Nintendo??

No sir, I’m sorry, you can’t get our station for free on the satellite. The satellite company charges $5.00 per month for local channels. No, we don’t get that money. If I give you a waiver, you’ll get a New York station, not your local station, but you’ll get it for free. You don’t care about news from New York? I’m sorry, you’ll have to either pay the five bucks to Dish or put up an antenna.

You think Barney is evil? Would you like the number for the public broadcasting station in town?

Yes, I’m sure we’ll all be heartbroken when you and all of beer-swilling buddies stop watching football because we don’t run the games with the teams YOU want to see. Oh, you’ll be over to burn the studio down and assault employees? Thank you, we have your home phone number on caller ID and we’ll now be calling the police.

There’s a million of 'em out there :frowning:

I used to work in an office supply store, the electronics section. The longer I worked there the more I wished that mandatory training, testing and certification would be required to use, much less own an electronic device, especially a computer. Some of my common annoyances:

You need a new cartridge for your printer? Then please, for the love of God, have the brand and the model number! No, they’re not all the same!

Gee, it would be sooo nice if I had time to try out all 500+ software titles that we have in stock so I can tell you how good it is (or isn’t)- but I don’t!

Your fax machine doesn’t work? Call the manufacturer. We’re not tech support, dammit!

If you bought it two years ago and you still expect us to take it back because it broke on you, you’re SOL, pal!

I hope I never have to go back to working retail again.

-“You mean when you dropped your lit cigarette in the solvent can, it burned your eyebrows off? Who knew? Oh wait, that’s right…that’s why we print ‘FLAMMABLE’ in two-inch high red letters on the front of the can!”