If the protests continue, what might Trump be provoked into doing?

Looking at 2012, deciding the presidency by popular vote would have lessened the power of democratic voters in California:

55 electoral votes out of a total of 538 = 10.2%

Obama received 7,854,285 in CA and total nationally was 129,085,403 = 6%

There was supposed to be an anti-Trump protest near Ala Moana Center this afternoon, but I don’t know how it came out, nor why it wasn’t near Trump Tower in Waikiki.

People who get their news from television wouldn’t have been aware of the Waikiki protest or of ANY protest: the networks and cable-news stations have apparently decided that pleasing Trump (by omitting mention of protests) is crucial.

This is very alarming. The ‘happy-talk’ about how wonderful it is that Trump’s businesses will continue (so that nations and individuals who want the President’s ear will know where to spend their money), alone, is nauseating. The networks bent over much faster than I would have guessed they would.

As for the planned Thursday Waikiki protest, I see nothing about it online–just mentions of the Sunday protest (and those from local sources only–no mentions on any network or cable-news sites).

…And the other shoe drops: protesting will now be defined as “economic terrorism” under a bill introduced by a Washington state senator:

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/state-senator-some-protests-should-be-treated-as-felonies/

The bigger cities in the red states went blue as well, that seems to be forgotten. Yes, even the ones not in NY & CA.

The use of the word ‘terrorism’ is silly, but I have no problem at all with making it illegal to protest in ways that impinge on people’s rights to move about freely or to conduct business.

It’s already illegal to damage businesses or impede people in ways not covered by a permit, or by the right to spontaneous protest guaranteed by the First Amendment as supported by precedent*.

The Washington State bill is intended to intimidate people into not protesting at all, even in lawful ways.

I have no doubt that this attempt will be followed by others.

When can government require a permit to protest? | ACLU of Illinois

Such behavior may be illegal but people are rarely arrested/jailed for it. It seems to me Eriksen’s bill is an attempt to put some real consequences into illegal protest behavior.

How so? Couldn’t a person just as well argue that traffic laws are an attempt to intimidate people into not driving at all, even in lawful ways?

Well, of course they can! No law against saying stupid shit!

If traffic laws made all infractions into felonies, you might have a point.

As it is, though: no.

Eh? TV is where I learned of it. The local morning news on Channel 7, the local CBS affiliate.

Protest at performance of Hamilton directed towards Pence.
Trump displays his thin skin.

Doesn’t like the spotlight. Shouldn’t have run for office! Sad.

Poor guy is requesting a safe space.

“The Theater must always be a safe and special place.The cast of Hamilton was very rude last night to a very good man, Mike Pence. Apologize!”

Can’t make this stuff up.

I was referring not to local news (and kudos to them for the coverage), but to network and cable news.

This story is appalling. Many people followed the suggestion of the cast to film and distribute the message to Pence, so we don’t have to guess on the question of whether “rudeness” occurred: it plainly did not. The actor who spoke called Pence ‘sir’ throughout and uttered not one word of criticism of him or of Trump.

So in the new world order, it’s not just that you can’t make a critical or even rude remark to Trump or his people-----you can’t utter anything but (presumably) praise and flattery.

Disgusting.

At this point, I think this story is an intentional distraction. I mean, there is no way this man unironically requested a “safe space” without realizing how tone deaf that sounds considering his opinion on PC culture in the past. He is throwing us this story to obsess over while he staffs his cabinet with sociopaths.

Sure, and he also wants to deflect attention from his choice to settle his Trump University case for $25 million—after months of loudly and frequently asserting that he never settles cases.

But at the same time, I believe this IS a harbinger of things to come–the least little plea of *please sir, please remember the vulnerable *will be met with Trumpian outrage at the “rudeness” at having dared to say anything other than We Hail Thee Great Savior of Our Nation.