If Trump is Charged and Arrested, and He Calls for Insurrection, What Do You Think Will Happen?

There are a lot of views about this, starting approximately here in this thread:

This thread is for those who wish to discuss this aspect of potential criminal charges against Trump and any ensuing aftermath, in more depth.

Nothing. Or so little, it will be called nothing. You might have a couple of dorks take pot shots at people. You might have 10 or 12 dipshits hang out in cameos at the courthouse in Phoenix Arizona. What you’re not going to see is a mass uprising.

If Donald Trump draws 1/100th of the crowd which gathered for the George Floyd protests, I’ll eat my hat.

If he is charged, regardless of what for, he won’t be arrested (even though some think he is a flight risk, and that may be true). This is a class issue, most prominent or rich people aren’t held in jail pending trial.

If there is a trial, and he is convicted, and loses all his appeals, and is eventually sent to prison, I think there will be some attempts at violence, and a lot of violent rhetoric, but not enough to be a real problem to the nation. The DoJ (and the House committee on January 6th, if the charges have anything to do with that) are doing a good job of laying the groundwork (even as it takes a long time) that a solid majority will support the outcome. Make him a felon, give him a few months in a club fed, and his career will effectively be over.

15 million to 26 million people protested for George Floyd. Donald Trump is not going to get 1% of that number.

Thanks for starting this thread, but I personally don’t have much more to add to this subject aside from what I already said.
What I wrote was a personal observation, coupled with some of the national political dialog.
I don’t think people should take the threat as just Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt (FUD).
We have plenty of foreign entities that wish bad on us, and a serious domestic problem that’s appears willing to do anything to re-attain power.

Oh, no worries. Even if you have nothing more to say on the matter, others may.

I do agree with @JohnT that this threat of violence is largely a paper tiger. There will be some. Not nearly as much as Trump dreams about.

One thing’s for certain, Fox will be so ecstatic about having something to be outraged about that its personalities will need to wear diapers on air.

I think we are in for true terror.

Do you remember when they had the antivax caravans going across the US?

(I don’t mean the one in Canada, I mean the copycats in the US.)

It’ll be like that.

The ones which didn’t even snarl traffic in DC, and, once arrived, starting accusing each other of being Antifa?

Quaking here…

Here’s a Patriot Front group practicing their madd street fighting skillz and training:

I could swear some guy asks “Can we try again from the top?” like they’re at a dance recital.

I’ve already expressed my views about this in the previous thread and gotten flack for it. “Dehumanizing language” and all that. Seeing that video of the rural Rambos “training” just makes me more anxious to have these guys try to start something. The textbook definition of Fart Around and Find Out.

I’ll agree with @JohnT that next to nothing will happen. Also loved the Monty Python-esque training video! :rofl::grin:

But I DO worry about the groups or shitfucked-crazy CT individuals who may be armed. I’m really hoping that whoever saw a True Patriot like Chansley (only the best people) turn into a wuss baby when arrested have taken down their Patriot posters by now.

I will also express thanks for a specific place to discuss a topic that might be important and meaningful in the not so distant future. I will also agree with what seems to be the early consensus opinion – that it will not amount to very much on the national stage.

I will also say that for sure, it not be nothing and it will be in more than one place (and yes, my neighbors here in AZ are likely to be responsible for at least two unhinged protests that have the potential to become violent). Any violence would be regrettable and also tragic, especially because it would all be built upon a lie.

I will add what I believe is also obvious. That even if it did mean armed thugs in the streets causing mayhem-- that should not be allowed to deter the judiciary from doing their duty and bringing charges and convicting this criminal. Whatever it takes to put down any small rebellion Trump may succeed in whipping up will be a small price to pay for a democratic future for our nation of laws (for the time being).

And while I am not sure about the perfect legality of this – I believe it would be a good idea for meek, humble, spectacularly dull Merrick Garland to contact many of the usual suspects (Lindsey Graham, Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity, Laura Ingraham, Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, Ron Johnson, maybe even Mitch McConnell and several others) and tell them flat out: In the next week or two, Trump is going to be formally charged with a crime for which we have an over abundance of evidence to convict. We will be watching you specifically, and you have every right to agree or disagree with our decision. But if you say ANYTHING at all that sounds like a call to arms – and then armed people show up and become violent… We will come to your place of business, place you under arrest for inciting an unlawful rebellion and/or inciting a violent riot, then perp walk you to jail in front of a thousand cameras. If you want to make political hey over this, fine- then you can have skin in the game too. Someone like Bannon would love to be arrested for inciting a riot, so would Alex Jones I suspect. I don’t think the others would be as willing to be personally sullied to sell their lies.

Of course, Garland (or his representatives) would have to be very clear that this is not a threat, it is a warning that a turbulent event is imminent and we would appreciate your cooperation in not creating a panic among armed and some would say unstable people. That they are only looking for cooperation in avoiding injury to innocent parties. If you do want to call for protests, that is okay as long as you stress that people should amass unarmed and remain peaceful because this protest would be about proving Trump supporters are right in the sights of the law and in the view of America-- not about accomplishing goals through violence. Any mention of trial by combat, kicking ass and taking names, fighting like hell, practicing second amendment rights in pursuit of justice, etc. WILL be seen as incitement to riot. Period.

Not sure anyone would be eager to cooperate, and they may be eager to spin it as an attempt to control the narrative or some form of censorship. But being proactive and saying that escalation is a concern and we just want you to be responsible and humane is worth the risk in my opinion.

You are correct, they do not look terribly formidable. But that does not mean they do not have the capacity to harm some innocent by-standers. They are also trying to work in concert with each other and do have a common purpose and they are motivated enough to shell out for shields and spiffy uniforms. They could still harm, hurt, or kill an innocent unarmed person who is enraged by their parody of military bearing.

I do think that it is important to protect the rights of even Trump supporters to peacefully protest and to give them every accommodation that you may want for other groups that you more fully support. But it is important that they are unarmed, peaceful, and civil to have those freedoms. Say so up front and give them a chance to exceed the expectation. If they DO turn out to be an armed and angry mob – well, they caused their own problems in that case. Many people, largely groups of women protested the overturning of Roe and there was no violence that I heard of. Just carrying signs and chanting slogans. If Trump supporters want to do that – fine, good for them. Anything more is not fine and should not happen.

“That man has a hoodie and a mask on! He’s Antifa! We have to stop him!”

“It’s cold out and I’m wearing a mask because I had a close contact a couple of days ago. Stop shoving me!”

A couple random nuts may feel compelled to act but I doubt anything serious.

I actually agree with octopus here.

Nothing. Trump’s followers, like their leader, are all talk and no action.

[gasps, spurts, aspirates] :grin:

Surely, if he words his “call for insurrection” with his customary care for detail and ear for nuance, a more serious charge and punishment for him would be the most likely thing to happen?

“I was just kidding.”