If you rent movies online, consider Belle Epoque

It’s quite charming.

It tells the story of a young man who deserts the Army in Spain during the country’s civil war. He befriends a man who has 4 luscious daughters, and that’s as much as I’ll tell you. See this delightful movie with English subtitles.

Sidebar: I used to think that “conyo” (spelling?) in Spanish was = to cunt. I might be mistaken, but I think the subtitles translated it as “Damn!”

Anyway, I’m almost certain you’ll enjoy this flick - even for a second time, if you’ve seen it before.

I remember seeing it once or twice on its arthouse run. I quite enjoyed the 4 luscious daughters (including Penelope Cruz).

And while I don’t know much Spanish, I’m pretty sure it’s coño. A noun, though “to cunt” is an intriguing verb. :slight_smile:

It really is a lovely movie. If you have Netflix you can watch in online.

I did watch it online. In fact, I liked it so much it’s now in my queue. And when you have a minute, zagloba, please tell E. Thorp he’s right about the spelling, and in my OP I wasn’t referring to coñyo as an infinitive, but that the word is equal to cunt.
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

While it’s pretty much correct to translate coño as “cunt,” the fact is that they are not the same in terms of their level of offensiveness. While coño is not exactly considered a nice word in Spanish, it attracts nowhere near the level of opprobrium and disgust that cunt does in English.

Coño serves as a much more general expletive in Spanish, and is quite often used (by some speakers, at least) as an exclamation of general surprise or annoyance. Which is probably why it was sometimes translated as “damn” in Belle Epoque.

Great movie, by the way.

Thanks mhendo.

That seemed to be the way Cubans used it when I was stationed at GTMO in the 50’s.

And you know what else I found? Caramba means “Damn it!”, too, as well as Gee! and Wow! I discovered this at…

…but I don’t remember any Cuban using it. If they did it was a rarity, I think.

I’m glad you liked the movie.

Also, mhendo, how about the expression, Cojone! Singular, not plural.

Cubans used that expression just as you described for coño. I mentioned this in a post some time ago, and a Doper insisted cojones would have to be the way it was used. I said no, based on the innumerable times I heard Cubans say it.

Who’s right?

[Paulie]
Don’t get all cunty!
[/Paulie]