If you support war, are you willing to fight in it?

[in the spirit of the OP]

Who here supports sex? Good, good. Who is willing to prove it by having some with me?

But, no. Do I think that it is a good thing that we are trying to oust Saddam? Yes. Do I think there are better ways then Desert Storm v2.0? Also yes. I support the end, but not the means.

I support the war (if there is one) and no I would not want to fight in it.

We have professional soldiers and sailors to fight in the war. Men and women who wanted to serve their country in a military capacity. I don’t think that anyone should be forced to join the military except in situations of extreme national crisis.

Ann does know how to shoot. I understand she shoots pretty well too.

Sure…why not. I don’t have anything better to do at the moment.

Sam Stone wrote:

First of all, this is a ridiculous question. Let’s try applying it to other things:

If you support the building of skyscrapers, are you willing to go up and work on one?

If you support environmental monitoring at the South Pole, are you willing to go there and do it?

These types of questions seem clever to certain kinds of people, but all they are is a substitute for real thought and real discussion of real issues.

Sorry Sam, war is a world away from building skyscrapers and going to the south pole… War involves risking lives and being put into situations where you may have to kill people. Its one thing to do a job and get paid for it. Its quite another thing to go to war because you beleive in such a war.

People in the armed forces dont have a choice, they must do what they are told- they cant run off and quit thier job because they dont like it. It seems awfully ironic that the politicians who decide to go to war, wont be seeing any combat.

Just keep in mind that going to war means that someone does the dirty work for the rest of us. If we are to support military action i think we ought to be willing to lend a hand… (at least hypothetically)

Fine, then here’s a better one:

Do you think we need cops? Would you be willing to be a cop? Then why aren’t you a cop, huh? Damn pansy-ass hypocrite. :wink:

As for politicians on the front lines, that would be a bad idea. Politicians are as such because they have the skills necessary to make decisions. Soldiers are trained to possess the skills necessary to kill people. Would we really want to send 60-yr-old flabby guys out to defend our country?
Jeff

Didn’t they make their choice when the joined the military?

Gasp! You mean they want me to fight in a war? I just wanted a chance to drive a hummer and get paid. I am so out of here now.

ElJeffe wrote:

Do you think we need cops? Would you be willing to be a cop? Then why aren’t you a cop, huh? Damn pansy-ass hypocrite.

I dont think your example is any better: being a cop is still a job that YOU CAN CHOOSE. The people in the armed forces CANNOT choose which war they want to fight, that is left up to other people.
Maybe some of us didnt uderstand the question, let me put it a different way: Put yourself in the shoes of a soldier, does the idea of this country going to battle still appeal to you???

Keep in mind that this is hypothetical- try not to bog down this thread by taking things too literal… I think we all have enough sense to understand what i am getting at with this question ok? thanks… and i think its a worthwhile question- you dont like question?- then dont post answer, simple.

I’m going to take a slightly different position, my apologies to the OP, but it’s a situation that’s not covered.

I DON’T support a war, BUT if the need arises for me to serve my country in a military role, I will do it. I don’t like the reasons for the war, and I don’t like the people running the show, but I am still an American and I would fight for my country, if not for the leadership. I’d just keep my fingers crossed that the guy got voted out in '04 :slight_smile:

In concievable wrote:
Didn’t they make their choice when the joined the military?
Ok last thing to clarify (hopefully): Yes you choose to enter the military. I would assume you enter the military trusting that your country has sense to choose its wars carefully. We are not talking about fighting in general- we are SPECIFICALLY focused on war against Iraq, i thought that was pretty clear…

Purplefloyd, on the bottom right of everyone’s post is a little “quote” button. Just hit that when you want to quote a post, instead of writing it out like you are now. It’ll make it easier for everyone.

Neurotik,
he he- sry thx… i was wondering how to do that…

Yes.

I was draftable age (and registered) during Desert Storm and I supported it.

I’m still registered with selective service, though the reality is I’m probably to old for them to want now. But I’d go if called up.

The REAL toughie is would you support the war if your KIDS were in the army. As a father, it’s a helluva lot easier for me to put my own ass on the line than to volunteer up my kids.

But I’d still say yes. My two-year-old has already been put on the front lines by those terrorist bastards. At least if a child-of-mine is going to war he/she will have a gun, comrades-in-arms, and a fighting chance… Unlike say some poor slob emptying trash cans at the WTC did.

I am talking specifically about war against Iraq as well. It isn’t like our current batch of soliders didn’t know it was possible that we would go to war with Iraq when they enlisted or re-enlisted. They knew about the Gulf War.

Do you have any information that a majority of the military is against going to war with Iraq? Around here (close to a very large Marine Corp base) most are very gung-ho about going.

Keep up the good work ** tikoon ** and Semper Fi.

In convievable, i just want to clarify your view and feel free to correct me here…

So far you definetly said that you support a war, but you would not want to fight in it…

This is the part im less clear about…
I think your view is that certain people have the duty to fight because they volunteered, and so the rest of us are well within our right to support any war we want without having to face the dirty work

But lets not forget to keep in the spirit of being hypothetical- what if you were in the military(or close to someone in the military)?- would your view of supporting war be any different?
Also dont you think that we are jumping to war a little quickly? Have we exhausted all the alternatives?- just things to think about, im not trying to start another thread here, he he…

I would have, if it would have came up when I was in the Army.

Now, health reasons would keep me from battle, but I could pilot an ROV if it would help.

I don’t really care if we go to war or not just so long as I do not have to fight in it.

I would go…without question.
I have 3 sons, a daughter, 4 grandsons and a granddaughter to guard. I would much rather be around to spoil them, but before that, I want them to be around. And if that maniac is not stopped now, I truly believe he WILL use biological, chemical, perhaps even nuclear weapons against us. All by proxy, of course, so HE won’t have to be held responsible.

Forty years ago, I was in the Armed Forces (Marines). One thing I’d like to know is if you (Purplefloyd) have ever served in the Armed Forces? The reason I ask is because my experience was that there were a great many that welcomed the idea, so that they could get experience. The vast majority, however, did not want war, but were more than willing to go, if called. This was immediately before Vietnam took a big click upwards. If you are serving your country there is a feeling of there being “us” and there being those “on the outside”. If you haven’t had that feeling then you have no clue about what is being asked here. Therefore, I believe your first question was better.

To answer your first question. I’d love to be there and be part of what is going to happen. No, I was not a Gung-ho Jarhead.

Twelve years, of Saddam playing games is not rushing into something and all the inspectors have done is provide him somebody to play games with.

Tikoon: "There’s a lot of talk here about people supporting war, but who wouldn’t go. "

I don’t think “a lot”… Actually, I’m reading this as, of those actually answering the question: 17 would go, 4 would not. Or about 80/20.