I'm done with ketchup

I don’t use it much, certainly not on burgers or steaks, mostly on fries. Which I did earlier today but was reminded again that there are so many other sauces and dips that are better. What are your favorites?

I want ketchup on my burger (along with mustard and cheese), but don’t need it for fries. They go better with Ranch Dressing or melted cheese.

I’ll get to my favorite sauces later (preview: HP!), but I’ve been in SooperSekrit HyperLockdown and I would KILL for a BigAss Burger and a plate of fries with grilled onions… and a big pool of ketchup to dip them in.

I recently found Buffalo Wild Wings Spicy Garlic sauce in a giant 2-pack at Costco.

The ingredients are healthier than I was assuming. Or at least its not loaded with sugar anyway.

I like tartar sauce on French fries. I also like them with both ketchup and malt vinegar (separately, of course)…

I’ve tried poutine, but beef gravy on fries just doesn’t do it for me. :frowning:

Is it the beef or the gravy part that turns you off? I make mine using mushroom gravy. Tastes great. Less filling.

I like beef gravy, just not on fries. (There are no chunks of beef in it.)

Is the mushroom sauce creamy?

Depends on the vehicle delivering the condiment.

If they’re crinkle fries, just a little over so they’re super crisp? Ketchup.
Steak fries? Ranch dressing or dill dip.
If you’re my kid, chocolate malts go with any kind of French fry. She’s weird.

Burgers get mayo - either plain or the garlicky aioli.
Hot dogs get mustard.

The only ‘must have ketchup’ food, for me, is a grilled cheese sandwich.

Not exactly. I make mine silky using a blonde roux but not so it’s the consistency of a cream of mushroom soup.

I like to dip my grilled cheese sandwiches in Asian sweet chili sauce. It’s even better when there’s a slice of ham in the sandwich. Yum! :slight_smile:

So it’s dairy based?

I still eat like a 7 year old, and have no regrets. (I will be 51 in a few days)

Well, it has butter, shallots, flour and the mushroom broth. The only dairy is the cheese curds that I add to the fries before topping with the mushroom gravy. I use about a 2 table spoons of butter and flour to 2 cups of mushroom broth/stock. No additional dairy.

Sounds good, I’ll give it a try. :+1:

One more tip… use Better Than Boullion concentrated mushroom stock for best results. If you like mushrooms in your gravy, saute Hen of the Woods with some thyme, then set cooked mushrooms aside and use the fond in the pan to make your roux, etc.

If you add ham it’s not really a grilled cheese, is it?
Going to have to try sweet chili sauce. Sounds good!

Well, it’s a grilled ham and cheese, yes. With or without the ham, I love grilled cheese sandwiches.

I dip them in cream of tomato soup too.

Hot sauce is an excellent ketchup replacement. My favorites are Tapatio, El Yucateco, and Taco Bell Hot Sauce. Yeah, you heard me. The Taco Bell sauce is really the only vinegar based sauce I use, and it’s not spicy, but it has a very tasty onion and chile powder flavor.

I actually do have some Better Than Boullion in my pantry. I’ll have to dig it out.

Only Dijon mustard for my fries. Have you any Grey Poupon?