I'm getting married in one week!!! (long!)

Ohmygod it’s finally happening! Sorry if this post sounds a bit disjointed - there’s so much to say and I’m so excited about everything happening!

For those who didn’t read about our story before, TonyF and I have been together for 9 years and we are finally taking the plunge!

It’s been a pretty smooth and simple road so far - we met online, he helped me out of an abusive relationship and basically helped to ‘fix’ me. I was a very depressed person with very suicidal tendencies and he helped me work through my problems and made me see that just because my family was disapproving of me, that doesn’t mean I’m unworthy. He made me feel human and that I deserve love.

Anyway, he did all the work in the beginning because of my family’s iron-grip on me. He always took Amtrak to visit me in college and even transferred to my university so we could be together. Since we’ve lived together these 5.5 years, things have been smooth sailing and I’ve been able to somewhat show and repay him for his dedication. Relationships are a joint venture, no?

After we graduated, we both started working and he was secretly saving up for the perfect engagement ring. He took his parents to the jewelry store and had them help him to pick out the absolutely best ring possible. On Christmas Eve 2007, he got down on one knee and proposed on our 7 year anniversary.

Fast forward to now, things are pretty much done. We’ve had some heartache with longtime trusted friends bailing on our wedding with little feeling (“Can’t go. Sorry.” with no further explanation, but is able to hang out with other friends on that day.) and not having family pitch in like they promised. But in the past month or so, our immediate family has stepped up and helped us with everything they can and are being very supportive.

Everyone has a part that they are “sponsoring” so we don’t have to worry about the details. We even have a close friend of ours officiating the ceremony and our wedding party is flying in from all over the world to celebrate with us. It’s wonderful how our wedding is a collaborative effort - it feels like it’s a more intimate wedding since they helped us to put everything together.

Also, for those of you who remember, we decided it would be better to allow my not-so-nice dad to come to the wedding. We’re having family friends there and it would cause an uproar if he weren’t allowed to attend. Thankfully, my brother offered to keep him away from me that day and to keep him from causing any scenes. I’m glad I don’t have to worry on my dad and I get to focus on fun stuff now like baking sugar cookies with our names in royal icing to give away to our guests. We don’t want to give away tsotchkes that people have to throw away, and we’re known for our hobby of baking yummy goods for our friends. I can’t wait to give this little gift from us to our friends.

It’s going to be a beautiful ceremony and reception surrounded by our nearest and dearest.

Then we get to sleep in the next day, order room service, have tons of ridiculous, passionate sex (since we’ll be part of the married folk finally :D). After a day of rest, we can then take off on our honeymoon which is a cruise for a few days then spend another few days in Disneyland which is a magical and special place for us.

I’m so excited to start this new chapter in our lives and finally marry my beloved.

We’re almost there!!

Most marriages end in divorce. Just sayin’.

Oh bugger that bah humbug sentiment up there.

You have been together nine years and I reckon with your mutual history you are good for another ninety. I read your earlier posts about your less than nice father and was so impressed by the way your beloved has handled that and helped you through it all.

I hope you have a happy, HAPPY day and that it will not be a patch on the rest of your days together!

And post photographs please!!!

Who the hell are you?

Congrats to the OP :slight_smile:

What a lovely story. Best wishes to you both!!!

Thank you Hokkaido Brit and myskepticsight!

General Derangement just makes me laugh because as many people get divorced, more are happily married. TonyF and I are devoted to each other and making our relationship work. There will be bumps in the road but we’re ready to face them together as a married unit.

Spoken like someone who is not yet married.

Nah, I’m just ragging you because that’s what I do. Congratulations and whatnot. And if you have girlfriends after the marriage, for God’s sake don’t leave their numbers lying around the house.

Damn, and I had fallen so far into crush with you, Penchan… You never mentioned a boyfriend?

Congratulations, a wedding haiku, my gift to you.

osprey crooks his neck
from his telephone wire perch
…gray rabbit freezes

That’s one way of dealing with the 7 Year Itch! :smiley:

Congratulations.

Congratulations! Wishing you a both a lifetime of happiness and joy together. :slight_smile:

Oooh! I love sugar cookies! You are are including all of us as among your nearest and dearest, aren’t you? :slight_smile:

Best wishes, Penchan, for a long and happy life with your hubby. Be sure to invite General Derangement to your 50th anniversary bash.