I'm Going to Quit Smoking - Wish me Luck!

The thread title pretty much says it all - I’m going to need all kinds of luck, willpower, and strength to accomplish this. I’m fiending for a cigarette right now as I type this, and thinking about it isn’t making it easier. But I’m done smoking. For good. Cold turkey. That’s probably not the best way to go about it, either - any suggestions? Don’t tell me to use the patch, because I’ve already tried that, and it just made me want to smoke more. And I’ve heard the gum tastes awful, so that’s not an option either.

I’m not going to become one of those militant ex-smokers - live and let live, after all - but I’ve been trying to quit for some time and I need all the help and support I can get. Thanks!

-Dirty
Smoke free for 27 hours :slight_smile:

Dirty Earthworm, I am WITH YOU!!

Today is six weeks for me. Once before, I quit for 2 years.

This time the STBTCB (Straw That Broke The Camel’s Back) was seeing a woman in the liquor store whose skin looked like my Leather Unlimited coat.

I do not want to look like I’m 80 when I’m 40.

Good Luck Dirty Earthworm

IMHO, the first 72 hours are the worst, once you get through the first three days, it will get better.
Good Luck:)

30+ days now with Zyban the first 2 weeks. I agree about the first 72 hours, I just didn’t have any cigarettes availible during that time period.

Good luck!!!

I have yet to reach that point where I know I have to quit.

I quit once, when I found out I was pregnant. I did just fine, I kept off during the breastfeeding period also. Once he was weaned though, it was back to a beer and a cig. I am so frustrated with myself for doing that.

Dirty Earthworm, I haven’t even tried smoking, as you know. But I just wanted to wish you good luck! :slight_smile:

I quit two weeks ago. I just finished off the pack and didn’t buy any more. Over the next week I smoked my remaining cigars (three or four small Macanudos – the kind in the metal tin, an Arturo Fuente madura about 4-1/2" long, and three Arturo Fuente double-chateaus). I finished off the last one eight days ago.

It’s been tried, tested and proven many times on this board by many a Doper. And I’m damn proud to have heard about it here:

Alan Carr’s Easy Way to Stop Smoking

My goal is to stopped by June 1, my thread is here.

As someone who WAS stopped for 5 years, I have 3 pieces of advice.

1. If you DO have a cig, DON’T declare failure and give up. That attitude cost me more than one failed attempt. Just accept it, and move on. I had about a dozen cigs over 2 weeks before I was completely stopped. My approach was to have a cig, and only one cig, if I felt on the verge of panic. Which I did several times. But the intervals got longer, and I stopped.

2. I found that I smoked at least partly as an excuse to take a break and get away from my desk. If you have a similar work environment, find some specific things to do during either “real” break time, or the times where you just need to push things aside and take a mental break. Find some simple activity, even like data input to some office system, that you can use to disengage from more problematic parts of your work. And watch out for those times your “stuck” on something – that’s the kind of moment I used to step away have a smoke, and kind of free-associate my way to a solution. I found I could achieve the same effect playing Minesweeper.

3. Once you’re “comfortable” with being stopped (for me, it took a little more than a year, because once before I had failed after about nine months), don’t EVER have a cig to be sociable with a buddy who smokes. Don’t EVER have one to “remember what it was like”.

Good luck! I’ve been off them for a just over a week. I made a point of setting this date for when my schedule was crazy - I was traveling for work last week, this week and will be next week, and that has helped tremendously. Today I was in the office and the psychological cravings were pretty darn intense. But I know I have to, because I can’t afford to go back to school, pay rent, and keep smoking.

I’m using the patch. Some may say it’s cheating, but I know I need help with this. I’m committed this time, like I haven’t been the last several times. I have my silkquit meter running again too. :slight_smile:

One week, one day, 11 hours, 7 minutes and 19 seconds. 338 cigarettes not smoked, saving $67.71. Life saved: 1 day, 4 hours, 10 minutes.
Good luck to you!

I quit two weeks ago. I failed. Then I quit again last Thursday. I’ve had a few smokes since then, but not even half a pack.

I’m using an inhaler. It’s helping. But damn, this is hard.

Dirty Earthworm, I’m in Michigan too. Maybe someday we can get together and use a little of the cash we’re not spending on smokes and go to lunch!

(oh yeah…as if lunch with me is really an incentive…) :rolleyes:

Dirty Earthworm - You Can do it - You CAN do it - YOU can do it!! I quit about 3 years ago and though it was hard at the time, the rewards are awesome! I feel better, look better, smell better, smile more, cough less, have more energy, have more money, and often think why I waited so long to quit in the first place.

Good luck and take it a minute at a time :slight_smile:

I’ve just started smoking. But, as a poor law student, I generally can’t afford them. (Oh, how I dread the day when my big sack o’ Irish tobacco runs out.)

So here’s the perfect solution: all of you who desperately want to quit, just send your smokes to me. Everyone’s problems are solved. :smiley:

My husband swears by Alan Carr. Mr started smoking when he was 16 and quit ten years later. He gives all the credit to Alan Carr.

He has been smoke-free for almost six months, and has undergone a pleasant personality change!

So good luck, you can do it!

What’s Alan Carr’s method? There’s no information at the link. Basically it just says, “This is my title. I cost thirty bucks. Buy me.”

I really wanted a cig today. Two of my neighbours were outside smoking.

The gum tastes bad at first but it grows on you. It is way better than quitting cold turkey and wanting to kill everyone who even looks at you wrong.

Yeah, that’s about how I feel, too.

Well I slipped up and had a cigarette after a (very stressful) day at work today. But I figure one cigarette in the past three days is definitely much better than my pack-a-day habit. And we’re all allowed slip-ups right?

RIGHT???

That was at 4:30 this afternoon, and it’s 12:15-ish right now, so I think I’m doing pretty well - almost eight hours without a smoke, and only one in three days. I’m going to beat this, I’m going to quit. Keep the positive vibes coming, people. They really do help.

-Dirty

It would be an incentive for me! :slight_smile:
Good luck, Dirty Earthworm!

It’s been around nine months now for me. Zyban helped. So did all that other stuff people tell you about changing your schedule and environment and stuff. God, I feel so much better these days. I don’t think a life-long non-smoker can really appreciate how good it feels to just breathe.

Anyway, good luck to you, Dirty. You can do it!

You can do it!!

Good luck

One year, one month, two weeks, three days, 19 hours, 0 minutes and 39 seconds. 8275 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,482.75. Life saved: 4 weeks, 17 hours, 35 minutes.
(Get your own Quit Meter at www.silkquit.org)