I'm looking for a good walking shoe

I’ll take any opinions but I’m particularly interested in Skechers since they’ve been all over my TV lately. Mainly, I need a lot of padding.

My last 3 pairs of sneakers were Sketchers walking shoes. They’re comfortable, but don’t really hold up well. In my case the padding behind the rear heal wears out fairly fast.

I’m probably going to switch back to the Reebok’s Walking shoes. They use to last longer when I bought them and in the long run I think they’re more economical than the Sketchers and about equal comfort and support.

Brooks makes excellent running and walking shoes. Many different styles for foot shapes and needs, and based on how you will use them.

I was recently diagnosed with arthritic toe joints (no visible black between bones of both big toes), after my walking routine was really curtailed by the pain.

The doc recommended Hoka CarbonX2, as they have really stiff soles that limit the toe joint movements. They were pricey ($180) but I am pleasantly surprised how they have reduced (but by no means eliminated) the pain I felt walking. The cushion relative to my New Balance pair is really noticeable.

The next step is joint fusion surgery, which I am not relishing.

I’ll have to check that out. Not for me necessarily but for my wife. She had big toe issues and had a screw put in so that her toe no longer bends.

I’d second a recommendation to look into Brooks.

Hoka is often touted as a super-comfortable (or at least, super-padded) shoe in some of its incarnations.

What? Did you buy a Jeep?

You might also want to check out this thread: What kind of cross training sneaker goes least terribly with relaxed-fit pleated khakis? - #7 by blabbermeister

There are a number of recommendations here which might be useful to you.

They are. I’ve owned several pairs of Hoka Cliftons, both as running shoes and general walk-aroud workshoes (I typically will put about 500 miles on my running shoes, then turn them into work/everyday shoes. Hokas are really good on the concrete floor of my workplace.)

When I went to buy my newest pair about a month ago, the canny saleswoman upsold me to a pair of CarbonXs. Got all the padding of the Clifton, but a whole lot lighter. I’m liking them so far. The saleswoman did warn me that the lightness was achieved at the cost of some durability - the upper is a lot thinner.

Personally, I just buy Brahma men’s construction boots for about 25 bucks at WalMart. I can literally walk all day in them, they have great non-slip qualities and sturdy protection against trail hazards, as well as ankle support When I travel abroad, they are the only footwear I take along, feel good all day, even if just relaxing. There are a few other brands at such outlets, similar shoes and quality. Get them without the steel toe.

My wife and I went to the mall today (yes, it still exists but is just a shadow of its former self) and we both got a pair of Hoka’s. They weren’t cheap but man are they comfortable.

Different people have differently shaped feet, and differently shaped feet are comfortable in different shoes.

I tried wearing Birkenstocks once upon a time, and the arch of my foot hurt like hell after trying to walk in a shoe that didn’t let my foot bend. I know lots of people love them, but I was in pain after walking short distances in them.

My toe cage is wide but the back of my heel is slender. I have a hell of a time finding shoes that don’t bind my toes and also don’t slide off my heel. No, I’ve never bought shoes over the internet. I try on every single pair of shoes before buying it. (Yes, sometimes two of the same model aren’t quite the same, and it matters.)

Anyway, I recommend a good shoe store and a patient shoe saleman.

You might want to look into Altras. They’re running shoes made to accommodate the forefoot spreading that occurs during a run. So they have a regular heel, but a wide toebox. The first pair I ever had, my wife dubbed “the clown shoes”. But they were very comfortable.

I agree with @puzzlegal that you should check out a shoe store, particularly an athletic shoe store.

I went to a local running shoe store (Fleet Feet, if you have one locally) and they measured me up and checked out the wear on my existing shoes and sold me a nice pair of 4E wide New Balance that has “stabilization” that keeps my feet from Over pronating. The salesperson could tell me what I do by looking at my old shoes.

I’m a very large person who walks a LOT and I can tell you that I have zero knee problems. I like to think it’s because when I started walking a lot, I went and got professionally fitted for the right shoes. And I replace them when needed.

I just bought new shoes, at the local athletic shoe store. That is one of the ones the salesman had me try on, but I ended up with a New Balance, due to it being tighter in the heel. Or maybe that was the one that felt comfortable, but that I tended to over pronate when I walked in it, I forget.

Anyway, like ZipperJJ, I think a good shoe salesman is worth a lot.