I'm planning to quit my job

I’m planning to quit my job in the next few weeks. Mid-April at the latest. Unless something big changes soon, which is unlikely.

I’ve been at this company for a little over a year, and I can’t stand it any longer. I don’t like the overall management style, and I specifically feel that I’ve been mistreated. I wake up every morning dreading the day.

My wife, who knows the full story, has been urging me to quit for months. She can see how unhappy I am. It’s just that I’ve never voluntarily left a job before, and I’m over 50 years old.

Fortunately, our finances are secure, in that I don’t really need to find work immediately for us to manage. I can take my time finding something that I really like, and my wife wants me to take that time.

Good for you!

Embrace your choice!
Tolerate no second guessing!

And enjoy your time off!
There’s no value in quitting if you just make yourself miserable!

But mostly, congratulations on slipping the chains!

Why wait? If you’re secure and confident in the decision, why prolong the misery?

I’m a strong believer in quitting. More people should quit their jobs more often. Rest assured, if your skills were no longer needed by them, they wouldn’t hesitate to let you go. So if you’re not getting what you need or want, let them go. It’s not as big a deal as people think.

Omar Little’s #1 rule for quitting a job: don’t quit the current job until you already have the next job.

Why do you need to quit this one before you have the next one lined up? Why not spend the next 6 weeks aggressively looking for another job? Become less vested in your current job while you are hunting for the other one. If they decide to fire you in the interim, so be it, at least you’ll be eligible for unemployment benefits. There is a lot of downside risk if you quit this job without having the next one lined up. What if there is another financial crisis, like 2008, while you are in-between jobs. Not out of the realm of possibilities given current market conditions.

This. That old adage about its easier to find a job if you’ve got a job. Start looking NOW. Even if you do end up quitting by April, you’ll be that much further along in the process because companies don’t always move as fast as you want them to.

I can’t speak on your experience, but I quit my job about 4.5 years ago. My husband and I agreed, because I reached the point where I had to allow 20 minutes for my commute: 5 minutes to drive, 5 minutes to cry in the parking lot, and 5 minutes to fix my mascara before arrival. (And I am just obsessive enough to think that I owe my colleagues the courtesy of a few minutes for debriefing without making them wait for me.)

We have had some lean times since. My plan for re-entry didn’t account for a wreck that has kept my fellow on the sidelines for several years. We have swallowed our pride and asked for help. And I don’t regret putting in my notice. I worked for an unethical person. She broke tax laws and fire safety codes to save money. She hired a violent felon to perform daily maintenance, because she was too cheap to pay for a background check. (And that fellow followed me home after I pointed out that an honorably discharged service member probably wouldn’t present an ID card from the state prison for his W4 paperwork. He got to the garage before he spotted the patrol car in the back yard. I don’t know his intentions, but at least he was smart enough to stop and show his hands when I pumped the 12 gauge. He remains in prison, because he violated his parole: he had a pocketful of Crack and a stolen .32 in his waistband when he was arrested in my driveway.)

Before I quit that job, one of my colleagues in the housekeeping department had an automotive breakdown. The boss had a nasty habit of scheduling 10 housekeepers, and sending 6-7 home after they’d driven or walked to work on a slow day. My co-worker’s transmission gave up. She didn’t have extra for a tow. I called my husband, and we got her home. She had driven 10 miles to be turned around before she clocked in. And when I pulled into the driveway, her husband was raising hell because a strange man (my husband) towed her home. (It was 10 am. He and his prison tats were enjoying some cheap beer already. And the babies hadn’t had a clean diaper.) I tried to explain the situation. He was having none of it - she disappeared every day, but only got paid for every other. So obviously she was having an affair at 7 am.

He is in jail now. He claims that the gun just went off. The neighbors heard his threats, and she is no longer able to state her side of the story.

TL&DR: There are situations where the paycheck doesn’t even come close to the work and the risks. And, regardless of one’s work ethic? It’s okay to opt out.

I quit a temp job that was about to become permanent because of a nut case of a coworker and 3 layers or management that refused to deal with her. In my exit interviews, they all admitted that she was a problem, but for whatever reason, they let her continue unchecked.

Since it was a post-retirement job, it wasn’t a huge deal for me to quit, but I still felt bad about it only because of the man whose project I was supporting. I was leaving him in a spot, but I couldn’t play the game any longer. No regrets, and 18 months after quitting, I was headhunted for the gig I’ve got now. It’s nice to know that some places recognize value in 60+y/o employees.

Good luck to you!

The thing is, I’m not sure I even want another job that soon. I think I want to do something very different with my life, and it may take a while to figure out what that is. As I said, I don’t need the money.

Then you’re golden, unless you need the benefits. But I’ll assume that’s handled too. Go for it, take the time you need then.

Nothing worse than holding onto a job you dislike and don’t need, just because it’s ‘expected’ of you.

Do. It.

Look, The Fella worked for a company when he and I met and he was ok with it. It got worse and worse and I didn’t even realize how miserable he was . (I just thought it was work bitching and stress.) Then he quit that place and got a new job–doing the basically same thing. It was like I had the person I’d first met BACK. I hadn’t realized how much he was unhappy–and we yap at/with each other constantly.

He’s so happy. (Normal work bitching–not beaten down things).

If your wife is telling you go? Go!!!

Sounds like the right move. It’s great that your spouse is so supportive, also!

Having gone back from the world of the flying-weekly self-employed subcontractors to that of third-party-employed people who barely leave the office, I had to fill up a background check questionnaire that was a pain in the ass.

One of the stupid things it had was that it counted every instance of having more than one week between projects as “unexplained gap”. What unexplained? Hey, you morons, 11 months’ project without so much as one day off! “Mental recovery”!

Sometimes staying in the job ain’t worth the stress, and sometimes a timeout is just what the doctor ordered. Best of luck, suranyi.

Then why work?

I could never understand this, especially the extreme situations. You know, the dude that wins $47 million but still mops floors at the highschool because he enjoys the work.

As others pointed out, if you’re unhappy, you don’t need the money, and you think you want to do something else with your life… why wait a few more weeks to quit? Why not put in your notice now? My guess is, perhaps, that you’re in the middle of a project or you’re short-staffed and you don’t want to leave co-workers you respect and like in a bind. If that’s the case, understandable, I’d do the same thing if I were planning to quit my job. At the same time, though, there’s nothing that stops you from putting in more than two weeks of notice. The benefit of doing something like that would be that, if that is your motivation in not quitting now, is that it would give them more time to replace you and prevent them from putting you on another project so your coworkers don’t get screwed. Either way, good luck.

Well, actually you didn’t say that before now. That changes everything. Quit today. Walk out and don’t come back.

Give notice? For a soul sucking job?

I think not. If you were struck suddenly ill, they’d manage. Just fine.

I’m not ever coming back and I don’t owe another drop of my soul to these people or this place. And once I’ve made that determination, to go, I’m gone tomorrow!

Yes he did, in the OP:

This could almost be another thread.
I’m not sure about the extremes but for me it comes down to:
a) Boredom. Even the things we like get old after a few months.
or
b) Economics. Could I live without the extra money from work? Sure. But I would have to cut back on some of the things I enjoy doing. And the way the economy is going maybe cut back even more in the future.

There’s a big difference between “I don’t need the money” and “our finances are secure and don’t need to work immediately for us to manage”.

The latter says to me that they can get by a month or so while he searches to replace his job. The former says, I don’t need the money.