I'm roasting pumpkin seeds!

Ivylad got the kiddos this deluxe super duper pumpkin carving kit, complete with twenty different designs and special saws and knives.

My son tried to carve the Grim Reaper, gave up, and instead carved a skull on the other side. And wonder of wonders, the South’s panacea for everything, he duct taped his abandoned Grim Reaper so the candle light wouldn’t glow through. The skull looks pretty damn cool, if I do say so myself.

My daughter is having a problem with her carving of a cat. Ivylad and my son had a go at it, but I can’t tell where the dots are supposed to connect.

Anway, they’re at a college homecoming football game and I decided to roast the pumpkin seeds. The carving booklet came with a recipe.

Spread the seeds out in a single layer.
Drizzle with melted butter.
Sprinkle salt and any other spices you want.
Roast at 300 degrees for 45 minutes, stir occasionally (although it took me an hour and a half for the first bunch to come out nice and crunchy and golden brown.)

Anybody else roast pumpkin seeds at Halloween?

This is funny! I just cut my jack-o-lantern, and was going to go to epicurious to find a pumpkin seed recipe. I got sidetracked by the sdmb (as usual) and saw your thread. Thaks for the recipe. I’m going to go prepare them now.

And my jack-o-lantern is glowing on the front stoop and looks very spooky.

Ah, Green Bean truly SDMB is the best thing since sliced bread.

I’ve roasted them in a microwave before too. I didn’t use the melted butter, just sprinkled them with popcorn salt.

Oh, please, please, please share! I’m too lazy to roast my own seeds.

Update:

My daughter did a design of a screaming ghoul.

It didn’t look like much until we put it outside and lit the candle. Then it scared the bejesus out of me.

The pumpkin seeds came out quite nicely, thank you.