I'm thinking about changing my user name to The Swarthy Stuart

Dude, it should be “Blue blood is black blood”

I’m thinking of changing my user name to Muslims Stepping on Korans. But that might be construed negatively.

I think “White Obama” would work. After all, Egmond seemed to think that proved everything.

One immortal memory of Egmond, here debating with Marienee about the sketch of Anne of Denmark which depicts her as a black woman.

Egmond Codfried: "The Masque of Blackness was commissioned by Anne of Denmark, the grandmother of The Black Boy, Charles II Stuart.

After reading the whole play I concluded it was written in praise of black beauty, which does not fade, and goes on to explain how blacks came to Europe looking for a milder sun. The Queen played the River Niger, a west African river."
Marienee: "Possibly you need to get a different edition, or read beyong the first couple of pages. Though I understand the desire to hurriedly put down any work by Jonson.

The Masque of Blackness is about how some ethiopian river nymphs travel the world looking for a way to become white. They are advised that they will be turned white by the glorious light of the ruling monarch of Brittania (Which they are, in The Masque of Beauty). The early speeches include efforts by the river Niger to talk his daughters out of their desire to be white, assuring them that their blackness is the true beauty. But the play rapidly goes on to reject that argument.

The sketch you keep posting does not depict the Queen at all, it is a costume design. We have quite a lot of information about the costumes and sets and so on, as the presentation of this particular masque quickly overflowed its text. But Queen Anne at the time of the presentation of the Masque was quite visibly pregnant.

The daughters of Oceanus in the play are blue, do you think this supports the theory that mermaids and mermen were the real blue bloods in Europe?

The Queen played Euphoris, one of the nymphs."
EGMOND CODFRIED YOU’RE MISSED!!! :frowning: