I'm working myself into a temper tantrum.

We do nice things because they are nice, not because we anticipate any reciprocation or even any gratitude.

Perhaps I’ve just admitted defeat over the years but since I let go of the expectation that people behave to any standard, I’ve spent a lot less time and energy snitting :slight_smile:

I do the same thing and I thing it’s as simple as SIL pronounced “sill” leads you to SIster rather than SOn.

Just found out from the Daughter that she (Daughter) must get up every morning at 2:00 o’clock to check COTU#1’s blood sugar.

For the next two weeks.

Good news: this morning at 2 AM, blood sugar was 90! (That’s very very good!)

~VOW

Well, when one is made to feel like the Center of the Universe, one tends to become very entitled and take things for granted.

Working in education has convinced me that, in far too many cases, we have “created our own monsters”, so to speak.

Huh?

COTUs are grandchildren. They are normally worshipped by grandparents.

And this particular COTU just spent the weekend in the hospital, being stabilized with recently-diagnosed Diabetes.

The 2 AM testing is mandatory to ensure the treatment regimen is adequate to control her disease.

We would rather like to have this particular “monster” survive to a happy, healthy adulthood.
~VOW

When her numbers are more stable the 2am check should fall away. I’m more encouraged for her knowing her Mother is an informed parent and works at Kaiser. I predict she’ll do great. And…big one…Fellow grandmother you worship that baby as much as you want!

Beck: COTU#1 was the first grandchild on both sides of her family. My daughter was especially close to my mother, who we had lost twenty years prior. And then my father died about a year before COTU#1 was born. COTU#1 was named for my mother.

And the kid has grown to be beautiful, smart, funny, clever etc etc etc.

Yeah, we worship!
~VOW

I never wanted to be a grandparent. I wanted my babies and I fought like hell to get them born happy, healthy and safe. But they grew up. And as things go, they too, married and had these little bundles. I was shocked when the first moment they were given to me a love poured out that was bortomless.Grandbabies are a true blessing. I have 4, Let me tell you about my grandkids…

Huh. My many years working in education convinced me of the opposite. Everyone should grow up feeling like the center of the universe to someone; that’s not the same as being raised to believe everyone should see you as the center of the universe.

Well, in my world, if you take someone out to dinner or whatever, a simple “thanks for the <x>” at the end of the night is customary.

So is not eating until everyone has their dish, but I find there are a lot of people not doing that lately. I think old school manners are really falling off.

Then again, I don’t give people gifts for the gratitude either, so I’d let that go.