Important Subject That Must Be Answered

I like to reminisce about the Galaxy Rangers. They were really good,but they were scheduled at terrible hours. It was a mixture of sci-fi and Western with great concepts, at least to my mind at the time. They are regrettably become fuzzier in my mind as the years go by.

Peyote Coyote said:

Actually, I don’t know of any other cartoon that had a rhinoceratops, with or without cannon! :slight_smile:

Hey, thanx, Manhattan.

I laughed my ass off!

I just had to print it off.

If you’re an optimist, you haven’t been paying attention.

Polycarp wrote:

And Tundro (that was the “rhinoceratops”'s name) had ten legs, to boot!

I kinda liked the giant asphalt ape (“Igoo”), too.

Dear Polycarp:
That cool beastie always looked like a cross between a rhinoceros and a ceratopsian to me. That’s why I call it a rhinoceratops.

I’d have to vote for the original Popeye cartoons, with the voice of Popeye done by Segar. You really have to listen to the things he says under his breath. Not to mention the 3-d scolling landscapes in every episode.

Other than that I would have to vote for a specific point in the Looney Tunes cartoons, since they were made over a long time frame. Seems like the ones in the late 50’s and early 60’s were the best, IMHO. The one where Bugs and Daffy are trying to convince Elmer that it’s either Duck season or Rabbit season. That’s a classic!

Jeff

“Dexter’s Laboratory”!

Good thing about Bugs was that he was very comfortable with his sexuality. I mean he would kiss women AND men of any species. He would dress like the opposite sex at will. He was remarkable tolerent.

Like I said he would be my favorite but at the end he ALWAYS won. In the earlier cartoons sometimes he lost. He didn’t always one up everyone. His ego wasn’t as defined then.

Only on the SDMB could the sexual psychology of toons receive a serious discussion! :smiley:

And speaking of the sexual psychology of toons, how hard up did Elmer Fudd have to be to fall for Bugs Bunny in drag every single time?!

Visit the Internet Stellar Database at www.stellar-database.com

Yep, the Simpsons is great, Pinky and the Brain and Animaniacs and Tiny Toons are also cool. Bugs and Daffy and the earlier Road Runner cartoons, totally cool.

Also, in the Hanna Barbera stakes, there was Yakky Doodle, who is an unsung master of dry wit.

However, has anyone out there heard of Count Duckula? Masterful! I urge you to look out for it :slight_smile:

I’m surprised noone mentioned Reboot. In addition to the computer graphics, it had great plot and character development. Especially the final season.

The onlt other shows that I still love are Gargoyles and Animaniacs.

But before any of those, I loved Bullwinkle and any Bugs Bunny/Daffy Duck/Elmer Fudd cartoon. Or even just Bugs & Daffy.

My two cents on cartoons:

First, it occurs to me that the Coyote followed extremely poor strategy in trying to catch the Road Runner. His failures fall into the following categories.
(1). Tries out outspeed the Roadrunner- with rocket skates, etc., he can match the Roadrunner’s top speed but always fails because he can’t stop or swerve instantly like R.R. can.
(2). Projectiles (dropped boulders, etc.) unless he could catch R.R. completely off-guard, R.R. can always dodge anything thrown at him.
(3). Coyote goofs up implementing a strategy that might work, and then never tries it again!
(4). Mechanical failure of various devices (which only work when the Coyote is in position to get hurt by them). Unfortunately, Acme is the only company that will ship mail order to a desert animal on credit, so not much Wile E. can do there.
(5). The Laws of Nature change themselves to screw Wile E. This is really cheating in my opinion. (Although it does obey the 'Toon law of physics: anything can happen if it’s funny.)

Second, am I the only person who thinks that Chip and Dale (and all other ‘toons similar to them) are total bastards? I mean, take for example the cartoon where Donald Duck owned an apple orchard. Those two little bastards took one bite out of every friggin’ apple on the whole farm! If I’d been Donald, I wouldn’t have just tried to run them off, I’dve strapped the fuckers to a rack and tortured them to death.

Simpsons, Futurama and Powerpuff Girls.

“The world ends when I die. And as far as I’m concerned, the rest of the universe might as well call it a day too.” – Matt Groening

I have quite a few favorite series.

Favorite Prime Time: The Simpsons

Favorite Saturday Morning Cartoons: The Tick, Dungeons and Dragons

Favorite Afternoon Cartoons: Batman Adventures

Hall Of Fame: Classic Warner Brothers, any series by Jay Ward

“Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent” Isaac Asimov

Rincewind!! Now there’s a username for you.

Have you seen the animated Discworld?

Well it’s bollocks, so don’t.

“So what you are telling me, Percy, is that something you have never seen is slightly less blue than something else that you have never seen.”

GuanoLad: No I haven’t seen it. I didn’t know if it was available in the US.

I’ll probably skip it, if it ever comes around my way.
Anyone who has a Blackadder quote for a sig line, must have good judgement.

“Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent” Isaac Asimov

Surprised not to have seen any votes for Beanie and Cecil. I recall that once when Cecil was coming to rescue Beanie from D.J. (that dirty guy), his head changed into a pretty good likeness of F.D.R. This led me to think Bob Clampett may have been influenced by Jay Ward.

Tom Berenger: “You’re not a good guy at all!”
Patrick Wayne: “I’m a LAWYER, you idiot!!”

Wow, a quote from Rustlers’ Rhapsody in somebody’s signature! I was beginning to think I was the only person on Earth who’d ever seen that movie.

Rex: Look, Bob, you can’t beat me. You work for the colonels, and that makes me the most good.
Bob: Maybe, but I don’t drink whiskey with hair in it.
Rex: Neither do I, I just buy it.
Bob: And I don’t have the colonel’s daughter, who’s practically a minor, at my campsite after dark.
Rex: Okay, that was wrong, I admit that.
Bob: In the company of a known prostitute and a notorious alcoholic.
Rex: Well, I –
Bob: And there were drugs present.
Rex: Well, I suppose you could say –
Bob: Yes or no?
Rex: Yes! What are you, a lawyer?
Bob: Used to be, yeah. … You did all those things, and you still claim to be a good guy?
Rex: You’re damn right I do.
Bob: You don’t have to curse.
Rex: I’ll curse all I want to! Damn, damn, hell, damn, tee tee, doo doo –
[A group of sweet, innocent childred staring under the swinging doors start to giggle. Rex bites his finger in horror over what he’s just done.]
Bob: Hey, you little buckaroos can’t be hearin’ language like that! Now git on home. Obey your teachers and study real hard.
[The kids scamper away.]
Bob: Nice work. I also understand you’re 31, single, and don’t even date.
Rex: Just what are you gettin’ at?
Bob: Nothin’. Except we both know that in order to be a good guy, you’ve got to be a confident heterosexual.
Rex: A what?
Bob: A confident heterosexual.
Rex: W…well, of course I know that. Everybody knows that. Now hurry up and draw, I’m gonna shoot you in both hands.
Bob: All right. Since both of us are good guys, neither of us can draw first. I’ll count down from five. 5 … 4 … 3 …
Rex: Are you sure it’s a confident heterosexual?
Bob: Yes.
Rex: I…I thought it was only a heterosexual.
Bob: Nope, it’s definitely a confident heterosexual.
Rex: Oh. I didn’t know that.
Bob: [bites lower lip in consternation] Well, don’t worry, I’m only gonna shoot the guns out of your hands.
Rex: I’d rather you shot me in the heart.
Bob: You know I can’t do that. 5 … 4 …
Rex: Confident…
Bob: 3 … 2 …
Rex: Uh, listen, Bob, I can’t shoot you today. Maybe tomorrow. Or Thursday. Yeah, Thursday’d be good. I’ll see you then.

The truth, as always, is more complicated than that.

Tracer, please tell me you had to refer to a videotape to do that.

Back to the topic (after a fashion): Anybody coming up with a poll for the best of the worst cartoons and series? Clyde Crashcup would be on my list.

Time to change the signature line; my cover’s been blown . . .