In Case of Emergency

Here’s an idea from Bob Brotchie, a clinical team leader for the East Anglian Ambulance NHS Trust. By entering the acronym ICE – for In Case of Emergency – into the mobile’s phone book, users can log the name and number of someone who should be contacted in an emergency.

More details can be found here.

I don’t see a debate here.

I saw this on Snopes yesterday.

Oh – I think people would figure out whom to call, since my sister didn’t change her name. If I were an EMS person, that’s the number in the phonebook I’d call first.

As for ICE, that makes sense – as long as it’s been publicised well enough. Why not just enter EMERGENCY?

I couldn’t think of where else to post it. I think it is a good idea that needs spreading around.

Yes they can work out that someone is related to you from your name, but is that the person you want called? And what if your sister had changed her name, who would they call then?

Moderator’s Note: Moving to MPSIMS.

Interesting move, Bucky, considering the OP is banned.

Well, he’s been unbanned now. And there was never anything wrong with this thread, it just wasn’t a Great Debate.

I have to agree with Johnny L.A.. “EMERGENCY” just makes more sense to me.

Suppose I programmed my wife’s cell number as my ICE (or EMERGENCY) number. Would all incoming calls from her show up as ICE, or would they continue to show up as her name, as originally programmed? I mean, she’s a cool woman and all, but I don’t want to swell her head.

Hm. I’ve never tried putting a duplicate number in the phone book. I too, wonder how the phone would handle it.