In like Flynn

I saw the column on the origin of ‘In like Flynn’, but I’ve seen many uses of the similar ‘In like Flint’, enough to warrant a followup discussion about this alternative. I’d heard that it referred to the James Coburn movies starring as a James Bond-like character Flint, and it may be that ‘In like Flint’ was an intentional corruption of ‘In like Flynn’.

Any other info on this?

Uh, no doo-doo, Dupin. Although such an “intentional corruption” is usually called a “pun.”

Derek Flint, the hipster superspy played by Coburn, first appeared in “Our Man Flint”; “In Like Flint” was the second movie. Very funny 1970s spy spoofs, and a perfect sort-of trilogy with “The President’s Analyst.”

Just to make it absolutely clear, I’m old enough that I can promise you that In Like Flint was released long, long after the phrase “in like Flynn” appeared.

Welcome to the Straight Dope Message Boards, Craig, glad to have you with us.

When you start a thread, it’s helpful to others if you provide a link to the column that you’re commenting on. It helps keep everyone on the same page, so to speak. Hence, I’ve edited your post to put the loink in there. No biggie, you’ll know for next time. So, welcome!

Nametag, I’d always heard ‘In like Flint’ as the phrase, hence my post; now it’s clear it was a pun on In like Flynn.

What is the word ‘Dupin’ you used? I’ll assume it’s a compliment.

Administrator, thanks for the tip and the welcome, I’ll include the thread next time.

Whoops, the edit button doesn’t work, but wanted to say thanks to John Kennedy for replying, too.

“Dupin” is the detective character that was created by Edgar Allan Poe. “No doo-doo, Dupin” is thus a wordplay on “No shit, Sherlock.” Not what you’d call a nice greeting to someone new, I’m afraid.

Nametag, I’ll be sending you a book on “Good Manners 101.”