Incredibly common products which the store clerk never heard of

I looked near the peanut butter, near the jams and jellies, near the applesauce, even near the canned pie fillings.

Imgur doesn’t require an account, and, if you don’t publish it, the image won’t be visible anywhere else but where you post a link.

That said, I think it might be better if we could get images re-enabled here. There’s already a workaround, and not having it breaks functionality, like the ability to scroll up. Have you talked to Ed about it?

I have seen a farmer cut a field of wheat with a scythe, and it looked like a tool the Grim Reaper would be familiar and comfortable with, not really for home or indoor use.

I guess that counts as “salad dressing”, which they should have in any supermarket? For wound dressing I would head to the pharmacy/chemist’s or drugstore.

Sounds like a specific packaging format roughly the size of a thumb, as opposed to, say, a tiny keychain USB drive.

Huh. Once I was at a café and fancied an Irish coffee, which was not at all on the menu but, following a brief discussion, they were more than happy to serve me coffee with Irish whisky in it. What I did not say was, “Just come up with something” :slight_smile:

But once I was at a shop that had plenty of “styptic pencils” like @susan 's as well as even more minuscule quantities for the same price, but do you know what they did not sell? Alum.

In any case I suspect they were deliberately trying to rip off customers with “boutique” shaving supplies.

You need to specify. I have had plenty of flat pitas as well as plenty of puffed up pitas suitable for pockets.

Paradoxically, in some countries you ask for “crème fraîche” !

That’s… pretty much what lard is - “non-salty bacon fat”

At the store I work at the lard is labeled “LARD” on one side and “MANTECA” on the other. In fact, when I asked for where it was located my co-worker was clueless what “lard” meant but when I described what I wanted it for she said “Oh, you want manteca! It’s in the baking aisle.”

OK, so now I know that in this area using the Spanish word might work better than the English. Apparently the White/Anglo folks have given up on lard and moved to Crisco for things like pie crusts (when they aren’t buying them pre-made) and it’s mostly the Spanish-speakers who are still using the pork fat.

Well… of course. You can get all sorts of things at Wegmans that you can’t anywhere else. Wegmans is not your average grocery store.

The first time I encountered raw tumeric I didn’t know what it was. Unfortunately, the nice lady wishing to purchase it only knew the name for it her language. We eventually got it sorted out.

It costs money to host photos. Not going to happen.

(And i can scroll up just fine.)

One of the Discourse sites i use is funded by donations, and the owner publishes all his costs. He pays more for photo hosting than for the basic text functionality. (He also pays a little for email, so the photo hosting may not be half the total costs. I don’t remember the exact numbers.)

You can still link to images, though. This is pitta bread in the UK, which I think is the same as pita bread in the US.

People might do better with turmeric if they spell and pronounce it properly. There’s another “r” in there.

Well, the local dialect here doesn’t pronounce that “r” I left out (which might have something to do with why I misspelled it…)

I used every name I could think of. Then just tried to describe the product. Which resulted in them suggesting I squish a roll.

That’s considerably more oblong than an American pita, which tends to be round, and thick and pillowy in the exact same way that flour tortillas aren’t, but with a similar flavor.

But other than not being circular, it looks like American pita bread.

Garden flogger?

Dan

It says “salad dressing” on the jar, but I think most people looking for it in the store would be looking for it near the mayonnaise rather than the salad dressings.

Split pin.

Dan

Those look very much like packaged naan bread here.

I hadn’t heard of a grass whip before this thread.

The Polish grocery has tons of dried mushrooms all over the place but also has a rack of them right at the checkout, like where other stores have TicTacs. “Oops, better toss some mushrooms in, don’t want to run out. Also, better get some bootleg Kinder Eggs.” …which they also have, along with the gossip magazines.

A long John is a rectangular chocolate frosted pastry. Long Johns are long underwear for cold weather.

No, because there’s the pure white fat stuff that doesn’t smell like bacon and would go well in a peach pie crust and there’s the rendered light brown stuff that does smell like bacon and would be terrible in a peach pie crust. They really are different things entirely.

Oh definitely not for indoor use! but any homeowner with a sizeable yard might have one; though most people don’t. It takes practice to use one well – mine generally goes unused because I never got good at it. Kind of a circular effect; if I’d used it more, I probably would have gotten good at it.

Thinking about it, I might have been remembering that story wrong; I think now I was trying to get hot buttered rum, assumed (obviously incorrectly) that the problem was with a particular ingredient and not with the meaning of the word “hot”, and asked them somewhat more specifically for whatever hot rum drink they thought they could make.

I just came from one of the larger nurseries in the area. Not only did they not have a grass whip, the clerk didn’t know what one was. Nor do they carry one at my local hardware store. I’d probably have to go to a farm supply place to find one. It certainly isn’t an “incredibly common product” around here.