Indian Call Centers & Republican Tax Cuts

The tax cuts for the rich, and the corporate welfare that Republicans love all really do create jobs. In India. Conservatives would prefer to give a million dollars in tax breaks/credits to a company (which will turn around and invest it across the ocean), rather than giving a hundred dollars in tax breaks/credits to working class Americans who would then stimulate the economy by BUYING things.

If a normal person has money, they’ve little choice but to “invest” it at their local grocery store, mall, or even by paying a mortgage, all of which gives money to other Americans who will turn around and spend it similiarly until it “trickles up” to the big corporations. This creates jobs because the local Wal-Mart has to hire more people to sell to all the customers.

A big company will move its plants and customer service somewhere else in a heartbeat. Nothing trickles down to anyone in our country (other than some campaign contributions from the grateful fatcats to their brethren).

What prompted this? The latest in a long list of calls to a customer service line. I got trapped in that awful situation of not understanding a word the other person said, yet being too afraid of appearing biased to ask for someone with less of an accent. The thought that my tax dollars helped some company downsize and screw both their former American employees, and their current customers makes me very angry.

Don’t forget their Indian employees, too. Althought the wages made in a call center are good in India (and the jobs are desperately needed) , they do not buy anything near a reasonable lifestyle. If you work at a call center, your pretty lucky if you have running water or more in your room than a mattress on the floor.

Technically, the rich are in a higher tax bracket therefore are taxed on a higher percentage of their money. They pay more taxes than the poor.
The middle and poor classes are in a lower tax bracket, and are taxed on a less percentage of their money. They pay less taxes than the rich.
…So where do you get that the rich get more tax cuts?

:rolleyes:

what the heck has this half-assed bullshit got to do with the OP?

If I may, I think the point is, that not only are the jobs going to India, but the cheap corporate arses aren’t even paying a living wage in India. I don’t think it was meant to be an insult.

Correct me if I’m wrong.

>> I got trapped in that awful situation of not understanding a word the other person said, yet being too afraid of appearing biased to ask for someone with less of an accent.

This is utterly stupid. So, because you got bad service and you do not have the presence to complain you come here and utter a load of bullshit that has nothing to do with the situation. If instead you had complained to the company they might reconsider exporting the call center service and you might improve things. But no. You do nothing and demand that others do everything. Your OP is cheap demagoguery.

(S)He says:“Althought the wages made in a call center are good in India”(which is true).

So I still assume he wasnt implying the corporates were cheap.

Fair enough, Ramesh. I was giving the OP the benefit of the doubt.

I didn’t mean to make a such a stir!

The OP mentioned that call centers are bad for American workers and customers. I just wanted to mention that it was a pretty bad scene for the Indian workers, too. I have a relative in charge of hiring for a call center. I’m pretty unemployed and thought it’d be interesting to live in India. I figured I wouldn’t mind making fifty cents a day considering the cost of living there is so cheap. Imagine my surprise when I learned that even these somewhat skilled and highly desirable jobs don’t pay enough for a person to find a room with running water.

I always figured that when they turn a middle class job from America into a middle class job in India, the general standard of living stayed middle class- the savings come from the fact that it’s cheaper in American dollars to be middle class in India and that the standard for middle class is quite a bit lower. But the jobs they are offering arn’t middle class by anyone’s standards. They are far below what anyone in the United States, even people like migrant far workers, live in. So not only are the companies involved denying a lot of Americans a reasonable existance. They are denying it to a lot of Indians, too. Seems like a bad scene to me.

Yup, the rich get a larger percentage of their income taxed. However, if 40% of a wealthy person’s income is taken in taxes, they still have plenty of money to live on, but less to invest overseas or in companies where executives get $10 million bonuses for firing people. If 40% of a middle-class person’s income taken in taxes, they’ll have to cut back on purchases that might have benefited their local economy, and eventually larger businesses and the whole nation.

Companies should be discouraged from moving their factories out of the country by substantial tax penalties. Companies that scurry for tax sheltered shores should leave an enormous percentage of their wealth behind. It also makes me angry that so many people somehow believe that wealth “trickles down.” Benefits given to companies just trickles away, but benefits given to poor and middle-class people circulate upwards and help the whole nation. It makes me sick that working people who are under the poverty line have to pay taxes. The standard deduction is under $8,000. Who can live on that little?

I feel sorry for the people in Indian who are making so little, but Americans should be our first concern. Also, nope, I didn’t bother asking to talk to a supervisor. I have in the past, and the person alway either denied that they had a supervisor, or said that a supervisor was not available, but would call me back (never did). Anyway, it’s not my job to tell a company that their customer service sucks, let declining sales do that.

Keep your accounts receivable department locally, locate your accounts payable department in India, and laugh all the way to the bank.

Tha H-Dog laughs at the thought of that sorry-ass pansy Myron Schabe an’ the Accountz Payabo krew being shipped off to India. I’d head ova to that ol’ limp-dick’s office, and be all up in his grill. “I hope y’all like spicy food, muthafucka.”

I saw a great piece on those call centers on the ABC evening news once. It was about how they have to teach the people that work there American slang and how to deal with obnoxious callers.

This is really, really stupi. And unfair too. America receives lots of investment from abroad. Do you think anyone is going to invest in a country where they can’t get their money back without this kind of penalty. You don’t know what the hell you are talking about do you? [uote]I feel sorry for the people in Indian who are making so little, but Americans should be our first concern. They can be your first concern and no one stops you from buying American but don’t force your concerns on me. Humanity is my first concern. I do not think it is fair to give jobs to Americans at the expense of starving chikldren in the third world. In any case, I want the freedom to buy whatever the hell I want and not have the government tell me what I should buy.

If their service is bad compared to their competitors then, as you say, they will lose business. That’s how the market works.

The rest of your rant is plain stupid. You are concerned that a some Americans may lose their jobs but you can’t be bothered to even speak to a supervisor when you get bad service?

I’m sure your right. I’m certain Bill Gates pays considerably more in taxes than I do.

However, I have to consider my tax bill quite substantial, whereas Bill can probably pay his out of what he keeps in his car ashtray.

This is really, really stupid. And unfair too. America receives lots of investment from abroad. Do you think anyone is going to invest in a country where they can’t get their money back without this kind of penalty. You don’t know what the hell you are talking about do you?

They can be your first concern and no one stops you from buying American but don’t force your concerns on me. Humanity is my first concern. I do not think it is fair to give jobs to Americans at the expense of starving chikldren in the third world. In any case, I want the freedom to buy whatever the hell I want and not have the government tell me what I should buy.

If their service is bad compared to their competitors then, as you say, they will lose business. That’s how the market works.

The rest of your rant is plain stupid. You are concerned that a some Americans may lose their jobs but you can’t be bothered to even speak to a supervisor when you get bad service? You are not willing to do anything but others should make the world to your liking just by guessing?

It’s ironic that I’m posting from my call center job :smiley:

My last job I worked for an american company (GSC) that had transfered it’s call center to Toronto probably because of cheap labour. They also mentioned that the mentality of canadians was better suited for call center work (we were more laid back and friendlier than your average american - they said that, not me).

I hated the job after spending a year talking to americans. Never have I met a more annoying and rude bunch of people. And they were shareholders we were contacting on behalf of their investments! Gah!

Now I only field calls from Canadians. Much better.

I can’t really understand why India? I mean, yes, the work is cheap (hey, they make less than I do on my coffee break!) but for technical things, I don’t know how good their english will hold up.

Imagine trying to fix a computer with a non-english speaker?

And about taxes for the rich. Most tax money comes from rich people. I’m sure my taxes barely pay for the paper work on filing my taxes. And if you do the math, a 5% decrease means people who pay more will get more back. And the rich hire more people than your average normal person (drivers, maids, cooks etc) so I have nothing against the rich. If they worked hard to get their money, they deserve it.

Everyone should have to pay taxes. Why should those of us that bust our ass to earn an honest living have to take up the slack for those that can’t seem to get their shit together? It’s bad enough that you can’t qualify for college grants and first time home-buyer money unless you are a pathetic loser.

I’m sick and tired of being punished for earning enough money to support myself.

PAY YOUR FUCKING TAXES, LOSERS!

Actually, the reason for picking India, as opposed to, say, Thailand, is that people who speak English fluently there are a dime a dozen. The problem faced is more likely to be with the accents, as Daffodil5 did. Lately, though, many call centers in India provide their employee compulsory training in the American twang. Wonder how that will work out.

Note to the OP: It is a capitalist, money-grubbing economy. Profit is king. Companies will seek cheap labour regardless of whether your government is Republican or not. Refer Nike sweatshops.
If you have a problem with service, speak up. You are the customer paying for a service. Simple.

Do I have to swear because this is the Pit? Could I please not? Pretty please?

Bullshit. Pell Grants, which are need-based, go to full-time college students, most of whom are still legally considered financially dependent on their parents for as long as they are unmarried full-time students, and for at least a year after they are self-supporting. (Some schools stretch this out to 3 years self-supporting, or even longer.). The parents’ income and family size are taken into account when determining the grant eligibility of dependent college students.

Are you really in favor of penalizing a 17-year-old kid because his parents aren’t rich enough, or willing, to write him a check for full tuition? Even an entry-level full-time job generally doesn’t pay enough to cover college tuition and even poverty-level living expenses. Or do you just think that everyone without rich parents who are willing to foot the bill for college should a) take out a zillion dollars in loans and go to college full-time, and then spend the next 20 years paying them off? Or b) take ten years to finish college a class at a time?

Or is it that you think anyone who doesn’t have $40K in cash for the down payment on a $200K house (average price here in Chicago) is a pathetic loser? If so, then well, I suggest that you have a very skewed view of modern financial realities.

1. Pell grants? Gee, I was working at a grocery store part-time for $7/hr, and living with my single mother who made $9/hr. We made too much money for me to receive a single dime. At that time I realized how pathetic you’d have to be to qualify.

2. Since when is paying taxes being “penalized”? Yes, everyone who works should pay taxes. Many, many people work their way through college. Yes, they should take out a “zillion” dollar loan if that’s what it takes. Yes, going to school part time is another option.

3. Of course not everyone can scrape together 20% down for a home. What bothers me is that only the most pathetic people qualify for assistance. Uh-oh…I actually make an effort to earn a living…I’m shit outta luck.

I just hate the way that the poor are protrayed as victims when they pay taxes, while the rich can’t seem to pay enough to satisfy some.