Indiana Jones 5 in 2019

4 was very disappointing and Ford’s just too damn old now. I’m sorry, but it’s true.

I’m a huge fan of the first three movies. I was really disappointed with the fourth, but I would pay to watch a fifth as long as Shia is not in it.

Thanks for fixing it. For anyone who was confused, I screwed up the quote tag when I posted my earlier post. I reported my own post to ask a mod to fix the error. I was posting on Tapatalk from my phone, but don’t know how to edit a post when doing so. Apologies for any confusion.

Indiana Jones XVII: So Very Tired

Indiana Jones and Yet Another Villain Whose Head Melts or Disintegrates At The End Due To Hubristic Indifference to Mystical Forces

Put me down as another vote for “Indy loses an eye”. And the only redeeming feature of the last movie was the return of Marion.

He wasn’t too old to make Han Solo awesome. I thought his job in the 4th Indy was fine, but I do like that movie. I find Indy 4 to be massively overly attacked. It has a great amount of quality in it. The monkey scene is Phantom Menace level crap, but it’s a huge blip in an otherwise quite good movie. I like the fridge scene, thought Cate Blanchett was awesome(so was John Hurt), liked Shia Lebeouf OK, and enjoyed the jungle and climax of the movie. I’d rank it better than Temple of Doom, actually.

19 or 20 years, depending on filming schedules. Funnily, Connery’s only 9 years older than Ford.

I agree…I saw it at the midnight showing when it came out, with my then 8 year old daughter. And that made the movie fantastic. I doubt I’d have liked it nearly as much if I’d gone with someone my own age.

I’d rank watching a colonoscopy better than ToD.

I’d rank having a colonoscopy better than watching ToD.

But Crystal Skull is still bad. People say, you love the movie where the literal wrath of god kills Nazis, where the holy grail actually exists and cures death, but nuking the fridge is unacceptable? What’s the difference?

Because those scenes are internally consistent. Assuming the basic “supernatural” aspects of Christianity are true, then the actions of God in RotLA make sense.

But, in CS, the aliens are inside a elaborately protected fortress ship. Entrance can only be gained by using the crystal skull, and only by using it properly. Any deviation brings the whole thing crashing down, as seen in the movie.

Aside from the stupidity of making such a system have all the sturdiness of a house of cards, tell me, please,* how did the titular crystal skull ever get removed from the ship in the first place?* There’s no internal logic to the film. Things happen because the script demands it, not because they flow naturally from the action.

Crystal Skull is structured not to be thought about. It’s meant to be lived in real time and forgot about afterwards, like an amusement part ride. RotLA invites critic analysis. It welcomes it.*
*To be fair, sometimes the analysis reveals weaknesses, such as the observation that Indy doesn’t actually do anything useful during the entire movie. That he may actually have made things worse rather than better. Plus, in the car chase, where did that giant, fortuitously positioned cliff come from? The entire rest of the car chase, before and after that Wilhelm-worthy scene, was in flat desert country.

I used to love the arcade game though.

<whipcrack> Aiiiieeeeeee!!!

Don’t make me think about Indy on the submarine or I’ll start to whimper.

Judaism, you mean?

I think the cup of Christ certainly seems to indicate Jesus was some kind of god in Indy’s universe. So is Kali. And Jehovah, or whatever it was that came out of the ark.

Or they were all inter-dimensional beings of various kinds.

Maybe, but Just Asking Questions referred to RotLA specifically.

I did, but in my mind I was linking RotLA and LC as being the same God. That is, the New testament God/Jesus/2/3 of the trinity of Last Crusade is the same old testament God from RotLA. It’s Christianity all the way down. :slight_smile:

I didn’t want to type so much, ramble on. Probably should have.

This one should go further and link all that to Islam somehow. Ok, maybe not.