Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

It’s official. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is the title of the new film.

I think George Lucas was suffering from “Attack of the Clones” title syndrome when he came up with it.

Evidently a crystal skull has restorative healing powers. I suppose the 1957 setting would be too early for “Indiana Jones and the Aromatherapy of Evil”?

If this does well,there are 19 more Treasures to be discovered in the Great Underground Empire.

Interestingly, an Indy-themed attraction at Tokyo DisneySea has a similar name.

Well, I guess “Spear of Destiny” had been done too many times.

After that, we start getting the second and third-rate holy relics for Indy to quest for…and do any of us really want to see Indiana Jones and the Holy Prepuce?

I don’t know. It doesn’t sound like the title of one of the major films. It sounds like the title of some offshoot non-cannon deal, like a video game or Choose-your-own-adventure.

If it’d been up to me, I’d have done Indiana Jones and the Rod of Seven Parts. Or, Indiana Jones and the Hand of Vecna.

Crystal skull? Pffftt… it’s been done. It’s called House II.

I would’ve preferred “Indiana Jones and the Object of Great Antiquity That Causes Destruction Of Its Immediate Environment If You Touch It” like all the others were.

Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

The noun phrases in the first three are pretty notably different:
the N of the Adj N
the N of N
the Adj N
the N of the Adj N

If anything, the fourth title is a callback to the first, since they have the same structure. However, the cadence is slightly different, KotCS drags on for one syllable more than RotLA and is thus the longest name in the series. It also sounds a little more fanciful than the first three. I think for what it is, it’s okay, but it doesn’t make for a terribly compelling hook. Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull might have worked better.

Hmmm. I’m put in mind of that one Monty Python sketch. “Kingdom of the Crystal Skull…” Sounds rather tinny. Tinny.

Ah, yes, the fabled Crystal Skull… deeply rooted in ancient mythology, it features prominently in countless myths and legends, such as… um… that one show with Leonard Nimoy.

But anyway, it has been sought after by generations of explorers and adventurers, such as… er… Leonard Nimoy. I think. Or maybe he just mentioned it in passing.

Lucas is probably just using this film to set up his magnum opus, Indiana Jones and the Figurines of Precious Moments.

“Indiana Jones and the Crystal Meth” would have been an interesting departure for the series. Or they could have taken the Time-Team route, and gone for “Indiana Jones and a Series of Low Walls”.

You forgot Arthur C Clarke.

The first three film titles all had words in their titles that were portentious or dramatic in some way. “Raiders” suggests action and violation, while “Lost” plays up a sense of mystery. “Doom” promises dread and danger. “Last” elicits an air of finality, while “Crusade” evokes epic adventure.

“Kingdom of the Crystal Skull” has none of these qualities. It sounds like a video game. :frowning: Bummer.

I think Indiana Jones and the Noun of the Adjective Noun is the best title yet.

So… he’s fighting a demilich?

To quote King Juan Carlos of Spain, “Que?”

I’ve never heard of “Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark”. “Raiders…” on the other hand. Please tell me this isn’t more Greedo shot first type BS.

The picture of Christ Pantocrater in the Wiki article looks as if he’s rolling his eyes at the silliness.

It has been renamed, but there are no plans to go back and put that into the film. At least there had better not be. They did this years ago when the VHS came out of all three in a box set to make them look better. They were also able to put the Young Indy shows so it flowed better I guess. I’ve never said Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark, sounds too dumb.

I have an Indy box set and Raiders was retrofitted with an “Indiana Jones and the” design to match the other movies. I don’t mind, it gives it the serial feel it should have. Using that as the full title is a bit cumbursome, so I see it as packaging graphics only. The title in the movie itself is unchanged.

I must admit I didn’t realize the first move didn’t originally have the Indiana Jones and the part on it. The second and third movies did and the novels I’ve read all did, so I presumed without doublechecking. It is certainly cumbersome, but there’s plenty of movies with cumbersome full titles.

It’s just Raiders of the Lost Ark; the Indiana Jones bit was tacked on later because Hollywood producers have a such a low estimate (albeit perhaps accurate) of the intelligence of audiences to relate the films together.

This is the cheesiest, most “Doc Savage” title yet proposed for the film. Everything about this says that its a bad idea, like making a sequel to Bridge on the River Kwai or The Maltese Falcon. Raiders of the Lost Ark is a veritable classic, especially the classic, noir-esque, Citizen Kane-inspired ending. Can’t Speilberg and Lucas go squeeze money out of some other franchise that’s already been ruined by overmarketing, or at least get Michael Caine to make an appearance so he can make some wittily evicerating comment about the deal.

“I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific.” - Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge

Stranger